Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo to the Rangers for IF Luis Sardiñas, RHP Corey Knebel, & RHP Marcos Diplan [lead post includes in-thread links to video & scouting reports]

jwill535
  • Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The longer it goes without saying who we are getting back , the more worried I am getting. Dumping Yo for Sardinas and a relief pitcher would be a horrible return. Better off holding on to Yo and getting an extra draft pick next year.

The longer it goes without saying who we are getting back , the more worried I am getting. Dumping Yo for Sardinas and a relief pitcher would be a horrible return. Better off holding on to Yo and getting an extra draft pick next year.

The return on the deal wouldn't be just what the Rangers send back, but would have to include what pieces the freed up money can get. Of course that would be true if Gallardo signed elsewhere next year. Then again there would always be the chance he's bad this year and they don't risk a QO, or that he takes it and you end up paying almost $15 million. If they were going to dump Gallardo, I wish they would have done it sooner and had the funds available to spend when there was a deeper pool available.

If this somehow allowed us to get Zimmerman, I would be thrilled. Not overly thrilled about Sardinas (if he is one of the players we are getting). He better be a heck defensive wiz because his offensive number do not impress me at all (not just last year, but his overall minor league stats).

edit: ok, not sure the "at all" part of my statement regarding Sardinas is accurate. He did post a few years with decent OBP numbers, but overall...meh. Not a top 100 prospect.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Assuming Washington does in fact move a starter, what would it take to get Zimmerman? I'm assuming quite a bit more than we get back for Gallardo.

If we're giving up a lot, we're taking a big, big risk that his WI ties would make him want to resign with us.

If this somehow allowed us to get Zimmerman, I would be thrilled.

THIS.

I actually should have qualified that by saying I'd be thrilled if it allowed us to get Zimmerman AND extend his contract beyond this year.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Assuming Washington does in fact move a starter, what would it take to get Zimmerman? I'm assuming quite a bit more than we get back for Gallardo.

If we're giving up a lot, we're taking a big, big risk that his WI ties would make him want to resign with us.

Just speculating but I'm guessing the centerpiece would be Nelson. Maybe you could get them to take Parra who'd be an upgrade over Nate McLouth as their 4th OF. On top of that perhaps one of the prospects from the Rangers is included too. We do know one thing. The Brewers could not afford Zimmermann unless they first unloaded some significant money. With Lohse coming off the books in 2016, that's $24 million off the amount targeted for starting pitching, enough to pay Zimmermann with a little left over to put toward buying out Peralta's arby years. A Zimmermann-Peralta top of the rotation for the next 4 or 5 years is mighty appealing.

I don't hold out hope we could trade for Zimmerman and then extend him. I don't buy he'd sign here just because he's from Wisconsin, without testing the free agency market first. We should all know by now the Brewers aren't a team that gets those kinds of "discounts", after seeing Fielder, Greinke, etc. walk in the past few seasons.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't hold out hope we could trade for Zimmerman and then extend him. I don't buy he'd sign here just because he's from Wisconsin, without testing the free agency market first. We should all know by now the Brewers aren't a team that gets those kinds of "discounts", after seeing Fielder, Greinke, etc. walk in the past few seasons.

They could afford to pay him close to market value. Once this year is over, they'd only Garza's $12.5 million as significant money devoted to the rotation. Yes Peralta and Fiers will enter their arby years soon, but those won't break the bank and by the time they got expensive, Garza would be gone.

Zimmermann is not a Boras client, so it's not a lock he'd get to FA either. His family shows up every time he pitches in Milwaukee so the appeal of pitching here could be quite strong. Even if took a hometown discount, he'll get significant money no doubt.

Jason Parks writing for Baseball Prospectus is/was very much a Rangers system guy, and he ranked Sardinas very aggressively (at least as of pre-2014). I trust that opinion more than other pundits who know what they are talking about but are not as familiar with the system.

Assuming that Gallo, etc. are off the table, there is nobody in the Rangers system I would rather have coming our way than Sardinas. The Brewers have no right getting that kind of player for one year of a mediocre pitcher like Gallardo.

I would tend to agree, but each player is different. It was clear from early on that Prince wasn't staying longer than he had to. Greinke may have considered it, but the money was just too much. Zimmerman could be different, the thought of playing at home could be appealing (no idea obviously), we'd have money to spend and he's not at the elite level that Prince and Greinke were. He's very good, but he's not a top 5 player at his position IMO. He's quite good, but I don't think he'll get Scherzer or Kershaw type money.

And, he doesn't have Boras, so there's a chance. I still think it would be a huge risk to give up a lot for him unless we're pretty certain we can retain him.

In a vacuum, would I love to see Fielder. I know I know he's older, he overpaid, "he's a former Brewer and that's all I am looking at." He's also a ton better than any 1B we have on the roster now. It just makes a ton of sense to me if they could put a package together that would include Texas throwing in money to fill that hole at 1B and not go in with Lind and whoever his platoon mate will be.

Prince is owed $144 million over the next 6 years from Texas. $30 million of that is being paid by Detroit, so the Rangers resposnibility is $114 over 6. If the Brewers could somehow coax say an additional $20 million from the Rangers and have Prince for 6 years @ $84 million, $14 million per year, I think that would be an excellent return for Gallardo.

I don't think this precludes the Brewers from making additional moves to secure other options like Zimmerman either. Fielder essentially replaces Gallardo's salary. With Ramirez and Lohse coming off the books after this season, a Zimmerman could slot nicely there. Understood that Braun's contract kicks up as well but that could be offset by removing Parra's salary after this year as well. Gomez I think will be dealt, maybe as part of a Zimmerman deal, so there may be no need to keep salary for him. Lucroy is my only concern but what I wouldn't give to see a middle of the order with Gomez-Lucroy-Fielder-Braun-Ramirez in 2015.

One thing we know about Melvin is that he doesn't makes a trade that doesn't include someone to contribute immediately (Greinke trade excluded). What keeps worrying me is that Gallardo and Andrus are paid the same.

So I am just totally pulling this one out of my butt but I could see something like Gallardo and Segura for Andrus and a prospect.

One thing we know about Melvin is that he doesn't makes a trade that doesn't include someone to contribute immediately (Greinke trade excluded). What keeps worrying me is that Gallardo and Andrus are paid the same.

So I am just totally pulling this one out of my butt but I could see something like Gallardo and Segura for Andrus and a prospect.

Andrus' contract runs though 2022. He's got negative trade value at this point. You can put that one back in your butt.

Andrus' contract runs though 2022. He's got negative trade value at this point. You can put that one back in your butt.

Does Melvin care about the 2022 Brewers? Or even the 2020 Brewers? I doubt it. For 2015 Andrus is probably an upgrade over Segura and can hold the position until Arcia is ready and with the trade it will cost the team basically zero dollars. When Arcia is ready Andrus can split time at SS and 2B and platoon with Scooter. I don't want it to happen but I don't have faith that Melvin will make a trade that is really going to help the future of the franchise.

Does Melvin care about the 2022 Brewers? Or even the 2020 Brewers? I doubt it. For 2015 Andrus is probably an upgrade over Segura and can hold the position until Arcia is ready and with the trade it will cost the team basically zero dollars. When Arcia is ready Andrus can split time at SS and 2B and platoon with Scooter. I don't want it to happen but I don't have faith that Melvin will make a trade that is really going to help the future of the franchise.

Melvin make some mistakes but he's not an idiot. Andrus has $118 million remaining on his contract with a vesting option for another $15 million in 2023. Not arguing that Andrus isn't an upgrade this year, but you don't commit that kind of money without ownership approval and that's clearly not happening. If Texas put Andrus on waivers and Brewers had shot at claiming him, they still wouldn't take him nor would any other team in all likelihood. That's what I mean by negative trade value. Texas couldn't give Andrus away with that contract.

I would love to see a package of Jackson or Gonzalez and Rua. This gives us another young pitcher who can slot into either the rotation or back end of the bullpen and is cost controlled. Rua would be a good fit as a platoon mate for Scooter who can also spell A-Ram this season while becoming our starting 3B in 2016 and beyond.

I'm also not a fan of the idea of trading for Zimmerman. I would prefer holding onto our players and just sign a top tier pitcher next offseason. There are plenty of options available. Price, Cueto, Zimmerman, Fister, Porcello, Samardzija, Latos and Kennedy all come to mind. Some will be to expensive for the Brewers to pursue (i.e. Price and Cueto) but their are plenty of solid top of the rotation starters left to pick from. My personal choice would be Zimmerman or Porcello since both would still be relatively young (27 and 30 respectively) come 2016.

Archived