Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo to the Rangers for IF Luis Sardiñas, RHP Corey Knebel, & RHP Marcos Diplan [lead post includes in-thread links to video & scouting reports]

jwill535
I wanted to give it another shot this year + Lind. So I'm disappointed with the move. For this coming year. I don't believe we're getting some other great pitcher to take his place. Hope I'm wrong though.

Nelson and Gallardo basically project to be the same. By Zips they have an ERA 3.94 vs 3.95 and FIP of a 3.92 vs 3.98. The big issue is who the sixth starter then is. I have no clue who that would even be at this point assuming they aren't stretching out Smith (which would not be a terrible idea).

[sarcasm]Johan Santana[/sarcasm]

Thornburg might be an option but I would think they would find a veteran on a minor league deal that could come in and not totally suck. Here's just a few that are still out there: Scott Baker, Bruce Chen, Kevin Correia, Roberto Hernandez, Ryan Vogelsong.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more thing, if we were going to trade Gallardo, I was hoping it would be to address one of our biggest needs, 1B... I'm not sure I can stomach another year of crap at 1B.

I sure hope Lind is going to at least be half an improvement...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Lind is a plus 1B at the plate as long as we have a RH platoon. Same with Scooter at 2B. I wouldn't mind Sardinas facing all RHP at 2B and spelling SS/(3B?) if they feel he is ready for the MLB.

A 2B platoon-mate that is RH can be very cheap but I'm not willing to be happy that Scooter is our 2B unless we have a platoon mate. I hope that platoon mate can play extra positions.

Scooter at full-time 2B is screaming for a subpar season at the plate. Let's not waste half of the season finding out that he can't hit lefties.

Sardinas doesn't excite me at all. He plays positions where we actually have depth and someone who is young and cheap and at least major league quality right now. The minor league walk rate aint great and he has zero power. He is basically Scooter minus the little bit of power that Scooter has. Sardinas minor league career slash is .289/.336/.355 and here is Scooter's .297/.337/.409. I guess you could say that Sardinas is younger and might develop into a better hitter. Maybe his defense is great though, I haven't looked into that.

Can Sardinas play 3B and or SS? I see he is listed as a 2B, anyone know if he can be versatile? I'd hate to think we are going to carry two guys who can only play 2B again this season if this trade goes down.

If we land him, what becomes of Scooter? I really wanted to see Scooter get the full time 2B gig this coming season...

How soon before Sardinas is major league ready?

Sardinas is a plus defensive SS, he just started playing 2B more because of the depths at SS in the Rangers system. He already saw some major league action as a 21-year-old last year, and while he didn't hit all that well he held is own and was adequate for a UTIL type player (.261/.303/.313/.616, 125 PA). I think the Brewers could move him into that role, backing up Scooter and Segura, for 2016 while he continues to develop.

We're talking about a potential impact player though, at least if you believe some scouts over others. Baseball Prospectus is very high on him and thinks he has better tools than Profar, whereas he didn't make Baseball America's top 100 list and is seen more as a Cesar Izturis type by some. If you side with the optimists, then he becomes a more more intriguing player than either Scooter or Segura long-term, in my mind.

Sardinas doesn't excite me at all. He plays positions where we actually have depth and someone who is young and cheap and at least major league quality right now. The minor league walk rate aint great and he has zero power. He is basically Scooter minus the little bit of power that Scooter has. Sardinas minor league career slash is .289/.336/.355 and here is Scooter's .297/.337/.409. I guess you could say that Sardinas is younger and might develop into a better hitter. Maybe his defense is great though, I haven't looked into that.

We have depth at SS/2B??? Segura was absolutely horrendous for most of last season, Scooter should not be facing a single pitch against LHP, and there are zero projectable backups anywhere in the system. A utility infielder like Sardinas is one of our biggest needs, and if he continues to develop he will quickly bump either one of Scooter/Segura out of the lineup.

To piggyback off SRB's comments, Fangraphs wasn't as high on him as Baseball Prospectus. From the previously linked Fangraphs article on the Rangers system, Sardinas was ranked 12th in the system by Kiley McDaniel with this brief write-up:

12. Luis Sardinas, SS: The 21-year old shortstop has 60 or better speed/throw/field tools and has already had a cup of coffee, but very little power and not a ton of feel to hit. Scouts are confident he can be a good utility guy along the lines of Cesar Izturis and the Rangers think he still might hit enough to be an everyday guy.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

We have depth at SS/2B??? Segura was absolutely horrendous for most of last season, Scooter should not be facing a single pitch against LHP, and there are zero projectable backups anywhere in the system. A utility infielder like Sardinas is one of our biggest needs, and if he continues to develop he will quickly bump either one of Scooter/Segura out of the lineup.

I hear this Arcia kid should be taking Segura's spot in no time and Scooter is an above average hitter when used correctly. It's not massive amounts of depth but it's depth nonetheless. And you don't take a 21 year old kid and put him on your bench to only play 1/5 of the time as a utility backup.

Sardinas looks like Elvis Andrus 2.0. Can't walk, can't hit for power. I like the fact that he supposedly has a good glove because lord knows this organization can't draft or develop players who can actually play passable defense. Other than that, nothing about him excites me.

One more brief write-up from John Sickels who last month ranked Sardinas at 13th in the Rangers system among his Rangers Top 20 Prospects for 2015 article:

13) Luis Sardinas, INF, Grade C+: Age 21, defense-first contact hitter batted .261/.303/.313 in 115 at-bats in major league debut. That’s exactly what should be expected for a while, but he could improve on that as he matures.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Sardinas looks like Elvis Andrus 2.0. Can't walk, can't hit for power. I like the fact that he supposedly has a good glove because lord knows this organization can't draft or develop players who can actually play passable defense. Other than that, nothing about him excites me.

Elvis Andrus 2.0 for one year of Gallardo would be an absolutely incredible return.

I see the concern about him being too similar to Arcia, but Arcia is still a ways away and that's a problem I wouldn't mind having if it becomes an issue. Plus one of them can play 2B.

Opinions differ, but I am excited about the more optimistic scouts (like Jason Parks, who knows the Rangers system extremely well and is someone whose opinion I respect) saying he has better tools than Profar and ranking him as a top-75 prospect in all of baseball. I don't think he has the raw power potential that Gomez did, but he sort of reminds me of a young Gomez only at SS rather than CF. Not a specific comparator, just that he's someone whose defense is ahead of his offense but the tools could catch up someday.

Whoever mentioned Hector Gomez: Hector Gomez hit .196/.238/.255/.494 over 406 PA at AA Huntsville as recently as 2013. Hector Gomez is not the answer to anything. He probably shouldn't be on the major league roster and he certainly doesn't offer the long-term upside of someone like Sardinas. Granted, as with any prospect, Sardinas could tank and end up being Hector Gomez a few years from now.

I've read the previous pages, why hasn't Nomar Mazara been mentioned? Seems to me Milw needs AAA OFs(and a future ML OF imo) and he'd fit the mold. He and Corey Kneble who reads as a potential future Closer? I get it that Sardinas is available but what does he offer that Hector Gomez doesn't at this point? In Kneble the Brewers get that RP they need plus closer potential.

Gallardo makes so much sense for Texas, I'm sure I chimed in on it, as they need that 180+IP pitcher while also getting one who is young enough to offer a QO after the season which equals a draft pick. So to me Gallardo has to be worth 2 prospects. I'd be thrilled if it were Mazara+ because Milw is lacking in the OF department. And if Kneble can be the RP/Closer this team needs post 2015. Big Win while shedding 12.5mil-ish in salary.

I don't get the need for the middle utility backup after what Gomez has done of late.(is he hurting? then makes sense) I just think upside is higher with Mazara than it would be Sardinas. I wont be upset if the team gets Jackson, Gonzalez, or Thompson. Texas has so many high end prospects this deal should be a win for Milw somewhere.

Please stop comparing Luis Sardinas to Hector Gomez, that is just bonkers. :laughing

Hector Gomez had some promise like seven years ago when he was a teenager out of the Dominican Republic. He should not be affecting any decisions about the 2015 roster or beyond.

Elvis Andrus 2.0 for one year of Gallardo would be an absolutely incredible return.

I see the concern about him being too similar to Arcia, but Arcia is still a ways away and that's a problem I wouldn't mind having if it becomes an issue. Plus one of them can play 2B.

Opinions differ, but I am excited about the more optimistic scouts (like Jason Parks, who knows the Rangers system extremely well and is someone whose opinion I respect) saying he has better tools than Profar and ranking him as a top-75 prospect in all of baseball. I don't think he has the raw power potential that Gomez did, but he sort of reminds me of a young Gomez only at SS rather than CF. Not a specific comparator, just that he's someone whose defense is ahead of his offense but the tools could catch up someday.

Whoever mentioned Hector Gomez: Hector Gomez hit .196/.238/.255/.494 over 406 PA at AA Huntsville as recently as 2013. Hector Gomez is not the answer to anything. He probably shouldn't be on the major league roster and he certainly doesn't offer the long-term upside of someone like Sardinas. Granted, as with any prospect, Sardinas could tank and end up being Hector Gomez a few years from now.

Yeah diss Gomez 2013 numbers. He returned from a groin injury. Ignore his 2014 campaign and his Fall League numbers? Gomez was essentially Sardinas some years ago in prospect ranks, only he kept getting injured. Now a man in his prime age, performs and it's ignored due to the injury season. Give the guy a chance, he doesn't cost much, has some power in his bat, something I'd be thrilled about when thinking Pinch Hitting.

I just see Sardinas as clogging up the roster unless they are moving away from Segura and using Sardinas as potential SS for 2015 the moment Segura only shows SS grounding PAs.

I did not realise how highly Gomez was regarded 'way back then'. And I understand he was hurt, then hurt, then hurt again. I never really read or heard what the hurts were. But Gomez is certainly worth keeping in case he heals and lives up to earlier promise. I would hate to lose him for nothing.

There is nothing wrong with getting a couple of prospects who start the year in AA or AAA. I would hate to get a prospect to play him on the bench.

I did not realise how highly Gomez was regarded 'way back then'. And I understand he was hurt, then hurt, then hurt again. I never really read or heard what the hurts were. But Gomez is certainly worth keeping in case he heals and lives up to earlier promise. I would hate to lose him for nothing.

There is nothing wrong with getting a couple of prospects who start the year in AA or AAA. I would hate to get a prospect to play him on the bench.

The Brewers can easily hit a HR with Texas' system. Imagine getting Travis Demeritte or Marcos Diplan? if they happen to miss on Alex Gonzalez or Nick Williams. Or like mentioned the Brewers go a safe route acquire Mazara and Kneble. Getting Sardinas to me may be one of the worst trade ideas out of what Texas can offer. Theres a reason the Rangers are offering him to teams, he's taking up space that he's not worthy of when compared to Andrus/Profar/Odor. Now then again, he does switch hit but is that LHB of his even worthwhile as a switch hitter? It'd be something if he could spell both Gennett and Segura being one. I proposed Alcantara from the Cubs as that idea. Maybe Sardinas can be that type? I guess there's value in that regard. Digging here. BA shows Sardinas last season in the Minors as a .286 AA/.292AAA vs RHP last season. In AAA and in 202 ABs it was .292/.314/.371 split as a LHB. The guy doesn't take Walks so he's a bottom of the order batter. Best Defensive Minor rated player in the Rangers org in 2012. So there's that too.

Guess Sardinas reads as a super utility from both sides so wouldn't be the worst pickup. It's the perfect High Floor/low ceiling prospect to tie in a deal for Milw's FO. I hope they get something good on top though in return because Sardinas could very well be just a AAAA utility and Gallardo should be worth more than that.

Just pumped a deal is going to made after begging there needs to be one of Lohse or Gallardo. It's actually going to happen. Cant wait.

Young SS always have value in trade market. So adding Sardinas would add depth they can deal later. I don't think it's a straight up deal though. Melvin never makes a deal without getting something back that helps the team in the current year. They need bullpen arms an a RH bat to platoon at 1B.

Sardinas hit .263/.290/.358 in Venezuelan Winter League with 11 errors in 32 games.

Archived