Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo to the Rangers for IF Luis Sardiñas, RHP Corey Knebel, & RHP Marcos Diplan [lead post includes in-thread links to video & scouting reports]

jwill535
The question you have to ask is this. If Fielder were previously NEVER a Brewer........would you sign him RIGHT NOW to a 94 million dollar contract?

If he could actually play first base maybe. As it is no. We got Lind for someone we may have non tendered. Over the last two years Lind out produced Fielder. While I think Fielder has the ability to be better than Lind it isn't guaranteed. After a season ending injury, not to mention a lot of miles on a body type not conducive for longevity to begin with, I have doubts if he will ever be the same guy he was in his prime. It could reasonably be argued Lind and a platoon mate could out produce Prince for a fraction of the cost.

While it is an academic exercise along the lines of "could've, would've" that may or may not go to "should've," I think Prince would have had a revival returning to Milwaukee the way Cirillo did after his injury-plagued time in Seattle.

Plus, you get that Braun-Fielder-Ramirez-Lucroy-Gomez from 3-7... that's an offense that can win a championship - and have its way with pitching staffs. Even with the $114 million over six years... yeah, Prince would've been worth it. When healthy, he's averaged 35 homers and 108 RBI and posted a 162-game average of 36 homers and 109 RBI.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just love the fact that for the first time in seemingly awhile (I'm sure I'm forgetting a move here or there that someone could point out) the Brewers are not just trying to hold on to this increasingly slim "window" and are looking towards restocking the farm system. You can still be competitive at the Major League level while pursuing this strategy - a la the Rays - but a small market team like the Brewers cannot sustain a model of signing aging free agents to plug holes year after year and expect to build a championship team. Plus, given Mark's history, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there weren't more moves to come at the MLB level.
I am not Shea Vucinich

Knebel is the most intriguing to me. A reliever that goes in the first round says down the road closer potential to me. Home grown closers mean savings that can be used elsewhere. Still though Kimbrel could be available in a deal with Atlanta in full rebuild mode and Knebel could be part of a package that could get him.

As for Sardinas, well Venezuela is the cradle of major league shortstops. It's a great position to have a logjam as they are great chips to use in deal for other needs. Don't think he's a cinch to make the team out of spring training by any means.

Diplan is that young pitcher that Melvin likes to get back in deals. His ETA is around 2020 or 2021, so nothing to get too excited about now.

Love this deal. Diplan is exactly the kind of guy we should be going after. Knebel is a high velocity reliever.

Sardinas could be a valuable piece on an NL team with his versatility and switch hitteredness.

I didn't think we'd get much of anything for Yo, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Yea, i'm pleasantly surprised. I figured that if Gallardo was traded, it would likely be for some AAA guy who was supposedly major league ready, but with very limited upside. We get these three younger players and free up 9 million dollars. Hard to find a problem with this trade even though there is a chance that none of these three kids pan out in the majors.

Interesting deal... kind of like a repeat of the Greinke trade... middle IF and two righty pitchers. Admittedly, I know little about the players, but looks like a decent return on paper for a guy who was almost certainly gone after this season anyway. I have to think something else is coming down the pike in the next few days as well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I hope Keith Law hates this trade. If so then I am sure to love it.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I like this trade a lot. Three young guys with upside, two of whom could fill roles on the team now. Each with a calling-card tool. The discussion of DM's trade history is always interesting, but I like the type of trade this is. Our last big deal with Texas, Carlos Lee (which I hated) makes a great contrast to this one.

I also like that we gave up cash to increase the haul. I would have expected Mark A. To save the money for a vet 50-inning reliever or something. This is a good use of cash.

Counting on Jungmann as our sixth starter is fine with me, but we need to identify 7 and 8. That will be interesting.

The most interesting question is whether this trade portends a serious rebuild. My sense is they're going to see whether the current core can catch lightning in a bottle and sell some guys if they can't. I'm okay with that, as long as they're not ignoring good offers. Not being under pressure to trade is a good posture to trade from.

I just love the fact that for the first time in seemingly awhile (I'm sure I'm forgetting a move here or there that someone could point out) the Brewers are not just trying to hold on to this increasingly slim "window" and are looking towards restocking the farm system. You can still be competitive at the Major League level while pursuing this strategy - a la the Rays - but a small market team like the Brewers cannot sustain a model of signing aging free agents to plug holes year after year and expect to build a championship team. Plus, given Mark's history, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there weren't more moves to come at the MLB level.

Exactly how I feel. I believe DM needs to think of guys as gone the year before their contract is up (like Yo this year). They need to be traded the year before they go, so we always have something coming in for them. If we can't extend them before the final year of their contract we have to assume they are gone, and therefore be traded. Even if it hurts us in the current year, it's better for the long run. The only time he shouldn't do this is when we have a very special team (not to be confused with above average). I thought the twins did a great job of before they got caught in an impossible situation with Mauer.

I'm all for the trade because at least we have something coming in. In my opinion Yo isn't worth anything to us.

Seems like a pretty decent haul from what I have read on these three guys. I Like that Knebel can step into the pen right away, Sardinas gives middle infield depth and Diplan has some promise although a long way away. If they go get Shields or Zimmerman now that would be cool (although I wouldn't do it personally), but if I not I am totally cool with Nelson getting his chance at the rotation now. I have a lot of fond memories of Gallardo, he was a good pitcher for a lot of years. Wish him the best in Texas, but I like that Doug dealt him and got value before it was too late with another free agent to be.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I appreciate Gallardo's contributions to the franchise.

There's sure to be some argument on where he ranks on the list of All Time Brewer Starting Pitchers. I'd put him 4th, behind Higuera, Sheets & Caldwell.

From a purely selfish standpoint, though, I'm kind of glad to see him go. Lately he seemed to take so very long to record outs. Working slowly, going deep into counts...I've left many a Gallardo start at 9:20 in the 4th inning, being lulled to sleep by his deliberate work.

He'll end up on the wall of fame, and was a part of some good teams. I hope he has success with Texas, where the fans there aren't as impatient as I am.

Yeah, I'm with RockCo. I don't think this was just a trade to get what we could for the last year of a guy nearing free agency, my gut says the $9 million cleared from payroll was a very important part of the trade on the Brewers' end as well.

I'm expecting one more 'significant' move from the Brewers in the next week or two.

I love this trade and that is zero knock on Yo. He had a great career here and one of the very few homegrown pitchers who actually panned out in the last 10-15 years. With that said this is a great haul right now and very comparable to the Greinke trade. You have the young talented SS (Sergura) The big bullpen arm (Helwig) and the last piece is the only big difference. Pena is older and more advanced however, what a great move by Melvin to snag such a young talent arm Diplan.

The system is well on it's way back up to where it needs to be! And it's been done the right way. Drafting high ceiling, boom or bust guys and making trades of expiring contracts to infuse more talent.

Luis Sardinas is only going to be 22 and was pushed through the Rangers system very aggressively. I'd hope they let him develop more in AAA first. He reminds me of an Alcides Escobar except a little shorter. Flashy defender, collects hits, very under developed up physically (so thin rail). He is great insurance for both Sergura and Gennett. If either go down, he is right there, and if either is struggling he is right there. Sergura will hopefully bounce back and Scooter will just do what he has always done. Solid Utility guy to have available.

The other big thing about Sardinas is that he has created a log jam at one of the most desired positions in the game.

Sergura 24 (25) MLB

Rivera 22 (23) AA/AAA

Sardinas 21 (SS) AAA/MLB

Arcia 20 AA

Diplan helps a lot since of our big impact international signings have been all most all position players as of late (excluding Leal) Has ton of potential to develop in a talent pitcher.

Knebel has the ability to be a big time player for the Brewers and that could be this year! Can never have to many talented power arms!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Knebel was shut down in July due to a UCL issue. I wish he could be counted on as a bullpen piece for 2015 but I think it's just as likely he'll be getting TJ at some point this season. This obviously was the "medical records" holdup and I would guess that it means the Brewers were ok with what they saw but they seem to have a somewhat sketchy history with pitchers injuries.

RobDeer. Would you be shopping Lohse right now as well (last year - no extension likely)... and ARam??

At the moment I wouldn't, unless we are trading for Zimmermann. Lohse leaves a clear void and pretty much states we're rebuilding. At that point we might as well deal Gomez or Lucroy too. Could be wrong but I don't think Ramirez has any value at this point of the offseason, he's more of a trade deadline piece.

In my opinion Yo isn't worth anything to us.

Exactly. He may have been worth one more year of 3.75-4.00 ERA, which has some value in a vacuum, but the most important question IMO is always "will this help us win a World Series?" At this point, Yo was not going to be a part of a world championship Milwaukee Brewers team, and while I admittedly know little about the guys we got back, they are already more likely to help the Brewers win a World Series than Yo.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I don't want them to sell on 2015 if that's where this is headed. Keep Gomez, compete for 1 more year, take the arbitration pick then punt on 2016 which really looks like a down period for the Brewers.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Here are some of the more relevant links for you:

VIDEOS: A collection of 22 MiLB highlights of Luis Sardinas

MLB.com's Pipeline now lists Corey Knebel as the Brewers' #8 prospect and Marcos Diplan at #17 (Sardinas no longer qualifies); link includes videos

Baseball America's take -- As usual, fine analysis

MLB.com's article includes audio/video breakdown via Jim Callis

Fangraphs - Interesting take on how Gallardo might fare minus Lucroy and Maldonado, more on the Brewers' haul

On Twitter, I wondered if the Brewers already had a family connection to Diplan

Behold Knebel's curveball --

Archived