Brewer Fanatic

Who will be our Richie Sexson trade next offseason

SoupTown

I am getting sadly conditioned to the fact that 2015 is an 'all in' year - with no looking to the future. Which means NOTHING will be done to address the needs post-DM-retirement.

Therefore, we will need to trade 'a' player at the end of 2015 for three not so good MLB players. This will usher in three to five years of complete crapitude. So who will be the sacrificial lamb....

Gomez? Lucroy? Braun? Garza?

Is "all in" the right term considering the big move has been flipping Estrada for Lind? Wouldn't trading prospects for FAs be all in?

I'd take Melvin's word for it that Gallardo, Lohse and/or Parra could be traded and assume he's asking high prices which I agree with. I know some think they don't have a realistic chance at competing and think they should be moved for whatever he can get and punt the season, but I'm actually kind of pumped for the upcoming season, think the farm is in pretty good shape and expect credible replacements for SP and CF in the next seasons.

You can call me crazy pete if you want though.

Formerly AKA Pete

Are you guys forgetting who owns this team? He's never going to sit by and field a team that doesn't at least have the chance to compete. Ticket sales are too great a percentage of revenue for this franchise. They'll have a solid core going into 2016: Gomez, Braun, Lucroy, Gennett, Lind, Scooter, Segura, Davis, Peralta, Garza, Nelson. They'll also have plenty to either spend on extensions or on FA, with Ramirez ($14 million), Lohse ($11 million) and Gallardo ($13 million) off the books in 2016. That's $38 million right there. If this season doesn't go well, I suspect they'll look to deal Lohse and Gallardo but they'll look for guys that can help them in 2016.

I'm guessing they'll make a QO to Gomez after 2016 and take the draft pick. Their #1 prospect is a CF who figures to be more than ready by 2017. Arcia, their #2, looks like a stud who could force his way to big club by 2016. Maybe they'll move Segura to 3B to make room for him.

This is never going to be a franchise that will be able to sustain big winning over a period of years but it's still capable of being competitive enough that in any given year with good health and some luck it can make the playoffs. Even when they had the infusion of high picks they had in the early 2000's, that group only made the playoffs twice. They could just not keep that group together financially. Drafting at the top of the draft for 4-5 years won't bring them years of excellence over time. It will give them what they have now, a chance when all goes right. That's not worth losing fan interest for 5 years in a market that relies on it.

I can see a massive Fire sale at the deadline if the Brewers are not in the race.

If we're truly out I hope they do. The OP isn't taking into account that our minor league system, which we didn't completely gut and is showing improvement, won't bare any fruit whatsoever.

We also have some contributing, young, controlled players. If we do fire-sale it opens a lot of payroll as well. So far Mark A. seems willing to give a competitive payroll.

I think if we 'do nothing' to address 2016 onward, then it will be as I guessed. If we lost Lohse, Gallardo, ARam for nothing, how do we get back to the 2014/5 level in 2016. Then we have another bundle of players leave post 2016 - Gomez, Lind, Broxton.

Those six players mentioned are A grade MLB players. We have no one in our minors projected to come close to any of them.

I see (still) Texas wants to trade for a starter. Of course Gallardo or Lohse should be traded for the best controlled players or prospects that can be obtained. That is still my hope. Then we still have hope for 2015 and some hope for 2016+.

I read a nice article re TB today. Their GM stated they made all their trades to keep hope for 2015 AND obtain some continual hope for 2016+ AND save $10 mill this year and $25 mill of future contracts.

IF Doug would pick up, say, a quality 3rd base prospect and reliever for Lohse or Gallardo, 2016 becomes a Brewer 'home grown' team with lowish payroll. The fans would embrace that. Well, I would.

The TB GM says that, but they have a pretty good chance of being bad and he describes his attempt as "threading the needle." I doubt he would be churning players if they had a solid chance of contending. You've made pretty clear that you don't think the Brewers have much chance.

I hear a lot of people who want to dump Gallardo, Lohse and Aram because they're mediocre. You want to sell them for whatever yet you talk about a quality 3rd base prospect. Gallardo and Lohse together aren't bringing back Joey Gallo or Garin Cecchini. DJ Peterson is expected to move to 1st. The Brewers have a bunch of 3B prospects in the lower levels so I'd think the prospect has to at least be at AA. Who are they trading for?

Meanwhile fans of other teams look at Rogers and describe him as a guy who "rakes." Fiers, Gennett and Davis were "projected" as trash, should we keep them? Is Taylor a 4th OF? Is Clark nothing? Jungmann and Wagner won't be as good as Gallardo and Lohse or is it that they won't make it at all? Williams, Goforth, Martin or Blazek won't pitch middle innings? What's the point of trading for more middle reliever prospects? Hellweg and Pena are complete write offs. Reed and Wren can't contribute.

If you want to go A's or TB, the obvious player to trade would be Lucroy.

Formerly AKA Pete

How many consecutive offseasons has there been concern that it was all being mortgaged on the current year and in the future we'd be doomed?

Ad nausem over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Being competitive and "all-in" are two completely diffferent things. The Brewers have never been all-in except in the summer of 2008.

This is never going to be a franchise that will be able to sustain big winning over a period of years but it's still capable of being competitive enough that in any given year with good health and some luck it can make the playoffs. Even when they had the infusion of high picks they had in the early 2000's, that group only made the playoffs twice. They could just not keep that group together financially. Drafting at the top of the draft for 4-5 years won't bring them years of excellence over time. It will give them what they have now, a chance when all goes right. That's not worth losing fan interest for 5 years in a market that relies on it.

I dont often agree with Briggs, but he nails it here. Well written Sir.

Let me respectfully disagree that losing Lohse, Gallardo, ARam and replacing with NOTHING, is not 'all in'. It certainly is. I should say 'was', as it seems DM will do a good thing and trade Yo for a couple of prospects.

For the guys who continually talk up our minors... there was a thread on the top 20 central prospects... every team had 3 to 4 prospect IN FRONT OF our first. And every time we pick up a scrub from somewhere (say that outfielder from Atlanta) the scrub immediately is in our top 15 ranked prospects. Our minors have a problem in that they are full of average or role play guys. No impact (at the high level). Even T Taylor is talked about as an 'average' MLB outfielder if you take off your Brewer glasses.

So that addresses my view of our minors.

Re the poster that says I am negative toward 2015. Not at all. 2015 looks a LOT like 2014. And 2014 was positive, bar the last gasp choke. (of which, obviously, Reynolds and Overbay were the problem as they were the ones jettisoned). I just want 2016 to have the same hope as 2014 and 2015. With Yo traded we take a slight hit in 2015 for hopefully a bigger step forward in 2016+.

Now if Boras' rumor of a team who is going to sign Scherzer first needs to trade a starter (he called it a two-step process) that could be interesting. Scherzer to the Brewers and the salary to pay it is Yo this year and Lohse the next. It is possible, hey. Now that makes us better this year and years going forward. And Boras does dump all his old shelf life stuff on the Crew.

In any case, this thread can die now. As it seems a moot point now. Thank goodness.

Archived