Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2015–2018 (plus one)

jerichoholicninja
I'm not a WalMart hater at all but Amazon does at least have small businesses and individuals selling to put money in their own pockets not just one family. In the online resellers groups that I'm in many sellers sell on eBay, Etsy, and Amazon and make most of their money on Amazon.

Was hoping you'd chime in. When you say they make most of their money on Amazon, is that total $ or is that margin? I'm pretty sure that eBay charges lower commission (I've sold a few textbooks on Amazon the last couple of years and my net take seemed to be at lower % than what I sold on eBay), so I'd think that the higher margin would be selling on eBay.

Amazon makes it harder to see competitive sellers, and the seller they showcase/quote on the product page isn't always the lowest price, so maybe sellers can charge a higher price on Amazon.

Regardless, I just bought some personal care products on eBay for ~$95. Would have cost $120 on Amazon.

I don't sell on Amazon so I don't know much about it but I do know that they charge the seller more in fees (30-40% I believe compared to the roughly 8% it costs me on eBay) and they have a lot more rules for sellers. The sellers I know sell more items on Amazon than eBay and they say it's because Amazon has more users and actually promotes itself.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1996 was my best sports year. I was 11. My baseball team won our town's little league championship. Having been a little too young to appreciate the original Dream Team, I was infatuated with Dream Team II at the Atlanta Olympics (and still have the Stockton USA jersey to prove it). Plus, the Packers won Super Bowl XXXI (albeit in early 1997).

• 2 weeks later...
I've been binge watching Arrow on Netflix. In an episode in Season 3, there's a reference to a street corner being the intersection of Gantner and Yount. I guess a writer on the show is a Brewer fan?

For reasons passing understanding, I always forget to use Picture-in Picture on my TV. I think I've had PIP on every TV I've had for the last 25 years, but I find myself clicking back and forth between two sporting events instead of just using PIP.

I've been binge watching Arrow on Netflix. In an episode in Season 3, there's a reference to a street corner being the intersection of Gantner and Yount. I guess a writer on the show is a Brewer fan?

https://jkgeekly.com/portfolio/arrow-secrets-april-17-2015/

Scroll about half way down the page for explanation. Starling City might be in Wisconsin? I watch the show each week and I guess I don't pay attention enough.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

NBC-TV's first newscast was called [cite]Camel News Caravan[/cite]. Newscaster John Cameron Swayze was required by the sponsor to always have a burning cigarette visible when he was on camera.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I have not followed the Stairway to Heaven copyright lawsuit that closely, but I have listened to the song by Spirit that Led Zeppelin allegedly ripped off and I do see the similarities. However, isn't there any Statute of Limitations that applies to this? Both songs were written over 45 years ago. I browsed over the Stairway to Heaven Wikipedia page and it talks about the lawsuit. It does mention that some of the Spirit members wanted to bring a lawsuit earlier but did not have the resources and thought that the Statute of Limitations had run out (but does not go on to explain why there are no Statute of Limitations issues with this). Does anyone have any additional information on this? I find it odd that you can bring up a copyright infringement lawsuit 45 years after the fact.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I have not followed the Stairway to Heaven copyright lawsuit that closely, but I have listened to the song by Spirit that Led Zeppelin allegedly ripped off and I do see the similarities. However, isn't there any Statute of Limitations that applies to this? Both songs were written over 45 years ago. I browsed over the Stairway to Heaven Wikipedia page and it talks about the lawsuit. It does mention that some of the Spirit members wanted to bring a lawsuit earlier but did not have the resources and thought that the Statute of Limitations had run out (but does not go on to explain why there are no Statute of Limitations issues with this). Does anyone have any additional information on this? I find it odd that you can bring up a copyright infringement lawsuit 45 years after the fact.

The statute of limitations is 3 years... however, every time the song is sold or played on the radio, that is a new case of copyright infringement - which restarts that 3 year clock. :)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I went to Detroit for a few days for a wedding. Based off what you hear about the city, I was afraid to even enter it, but it was fine. The urban decay is very real and pretty easy to find, and the city has tons of problems but it's not like you'll get shot the minute you cross the city limits like I was sort of led to believe. Downtown Detroit from the river is actually quite beautiful.

I would like to see every major leaguer who has a ridiculous beard (like Keuchel, Werth, Blackmon, and even you, too, Cappy) to fall into a tremendous slump--enough so that the only way out is for them to shave their stupid beards. I think Brian Wilson and Werth started it in this era--but I've had enough. Henry Chadwick is dead.

I would like to see every major leaguer who has a ridiculous beard (like Keuchel, Werth, Blackmon, and even you, too, Cappy) to fall into a tremendous slump--enough so that the only way out is for them to shave their stupid beards. I think Brian Wilson and Werth started it in this era--but I've had enough. Henry Chadwick is dead.

I'll drink to that... Those giant beards, like the guys who wear their hair like a woman, just do not look good on a baseball field.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Firefox dictionary is pretty deficient. I added "Kenosha" the other day. That should have been in there by default.

Of course, some words can't be expected to be defaults. I recently added Nieuwenhuis to both my Firefox and OS X dictionaries.

When we first moved into our home over 20 years ago the guy who lived next door has some mental health issues. He was very nice on good days but he was very paranoid. He once told me he did better if he didn't watch tv because he felt it was talking to him. Sadly about 15 years ago he commit suicide in the house. Since then the house was sold and rented out. I was talking to the maintenance man a few years ago and he was telling me he couldn't figure out why a tv would shut itself off on occasion in one room upstairs. Everyplace else it was fine. I don't know which room he killed himself in but I do know it was upstairs. A few days ago I was talking to the new neighbors living in the house and they told me it happened to them once. I don't believe in ghosts but that is pretty weird. Not sure I should tell them about what happened or not. Probably creepy enough without knowing the history.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If you like them as neighbors I wouldn't tell them. If you don't like them then I'd tell them. You may get new neighbors.

:laughing :laughing :laughing

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

They have mowed their lawn exactly once this year and never so much as said thank you for me snowblowing their sidewalk all winter, let alone chip in for gas. So no, I can't say I am all that fond of either upstairs or downstairs residents. But that is not new for residents there so I don't think it would be better if we got new people. But it might be fun just to see their expression.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The Seattle Pilots had a song.

Audio:

Lyrics:

Go, Go You Pilots!

You proud Seattle team.

Go, Go You Pilots!

Go out and build a dream.

You brought the majors to the

Evergreen Northwest.

Now Go, Go You Pilots!

You’re going to be the best.

Welcome the Yankees

With pinstripe suits and all.

Red Sox and Royals

From April ‘till the Fall.

American Leaguers

You’ve got what’s know as class.

So, welcome to Seattle

It’s going to be a gas.

Go, Go, Go, Go, Go, Go, Go, Go

Now Go, Go You Pilots!

You’re going to be the best.

White Sox and Tigers

The Angels and the A’s.

See them at the ballpark

On those good ol’ summer days.

Orioles and Senators

The Indians and Twins

Our Pilots ask no favors

As they battle you for wins.

So Go, Go You Pilots!

You proud Seattle team.

Go, Go You Pilots!

It’s time to shout and scream.

We’re with you Pilots

You’re big league all the way.

So Go, Go You Pilots!

Go, Go You Pilots!

Go, Go You Pilots!

When the umpire hollers, “play!”

I don't want to potentially derailed the Ramirez thread so I will put this here. I'm thinking about the cost of Rule 5 picks and it got me wondering if the 50,000 was what it was originally or if it has changed over time. Because 50,000 seems like a trivial amount of money, like how when some players I traded for a dollar. And when I checked the wiki it only increased my curiosity because it mentions the $50,000 being there to prevent excessive turnover.

Found a baseball America article originally published in 95 that says in 85 it went from 25k to the 50k it is now. So i guess at some point they thought 25 wasnt enough, but either because the wealth in the sport exploded or some other reason they stopped caring. Because I imagine when it was first introduced 25000 was a decent chunk of change

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Archived