Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2015–2018 (plus one)

jerichoholicninja
Well, I start Police Academy tomorrow. The usual joke I tell people is "I expect it'll be just like the movie."

"When I first heard that Marge was joining the police academy, I thought it would be fun and zany, like that movie ... Spaceballs. But instead it was dark and disturbing like that movie Police Academy."

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the "look for motorcycles" bumper stickers and what not all over the place, but much like the bike issue isn't there fault on both sides? For example yesterday on my way up north there was someone on a crotch rocket weaving in and out of traffic, speeding of course, while in a construction zone. I drive about 15K miles for work every year so I'm on the highways more than my fair share, and to be fair the most egregious issues with motorcycles seem to be limited to young men on crotch rocket type rides. I've never seen anyone on a Harley, BMW, or custom job riding the medians or going to between cars to get through a traffic jam, or weaving through traffic at a high speed. However while many motorcycle riders are clearly responsible the immense poor decision making of the minority skews the entire argument.

Most drivers aren't checking their mirrors anywhere near every 10 seconds and by driving like jackasses these young men are putting themselves at unnecessary risk because they are moving around vehicles of which they weren't near just 20 seconds ago and the drivers have no idea they are there.

Look out for motorcycles sure, but riders should also be looking out for themselves considering how vulnerable they are.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The bigger the cycle, the better. I really dislike it when the driver looks bigger than the bike. And yeah, just about a week ago, I ran into a rider on a crotch rocket that was hard to deal with.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I don't like Craig Counsell managing the Brewers in that hooded sweatshirt. I think it looks too casual.

I get it that Terry Francona and others wear non-jersey team gear, but I would prefer Counsell be in a jersey.

I don't like Craig Counsell managing the Brewers in that hooded sweatshirt. I think it looks too casual.

I get it that Terry Francona and others wear non-jersey team gear, but I would prefer Counsell be in a jersey.

At least Craig's hoodie is long sleeved. The 3/4 sleeve hoodie look (seen on Joe Maddon recently, and I'm sure others) befuddles me. If it's cool enough to warrant a hoodie, why would you only want 3/4 sleeves? That plus Joe Maddon's stubble and retro glasses gave him, in my mind, a real OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUD vibe when the Cubs were last in town.

The other thing about this year's hoodies (regardless of sleeve length) that gets me is the font for MILWAUKEE (or whatever city) BASEBALL. It looks like MLB had them done at the local t-shirt shop. I'm not asking for frilly, but I think there's such a thing as too plain.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok, this is a pretty cool trick, and I'm also wondering if Tom Wrigglesworth (the Electrical Engineer with the funky hair) is some distant relative of Aaron Rodgers.

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/boost-your-car-key-fob-1266803298607158.html

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Ok, this is a pretty cool trick, and I'm also wondering if Tom Wrigglesworth (the Electrical Engineer with the funky hair) is some distant relative of Aaron Rodgers.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I've never understood the concept of leaf blowers. Basically they use a bunch of energy and your time and make a bunch of noise to move leaves around that will just get scattered around again the next time the wind picks up?

That's how I feel about raking leaves in general. Just go over them when you cut lawn and leave them there. Let nature take it's course over winter and deal with it in spring.

That's crazy. Never heard of the guy. I'm not understanding why they are calling him an electrical engineer at about 1:10 in the video I posted. Is the guy an electrical engineer and a comedian or is that some attempt at humor (calling him an "electrical engineer"), that I am not getting.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I've never understood the concept of leaf blowers. Basically they use a bunch of energy and your time and make a bunch of noise to move leaves around that will just get scattered around again the next time the wind picks up?

That's how I feel about raking leaves in general. Just go over them when you cut lawn and leave them there. Let nature take it's course over winter and deal with it in spring.

I'm guessing that neither of you have ever lived in a house with a yard with several trees. If we did not collect the leaves into a pile, there would literally be two inches of leaves covering our lawn that a lawn mower (mulching or not) would not take care of (..and deal with in the spring? Why not just deal with it in the Fall..what's the difference?). Also, you don't just blow the leaves and let them sit to get blown around again by the wind. You collect them into a pile with the leaf blower..much easier than raking them (again, trust me, if you had to deal with several trees, you would understand). Then transfer them to the curb (yes, this step might require a little raking to a tarp), where they get picked up by the city (not all municipalities allow burning of leaves).

We've got 4 big trees in our yard. The wind blows most of the leaves away since we have a pretty open yard and it's just not worth my time or energy to rake them when it serves no purpose, other than aesthetics I guess. In Spring, I'll clean up whatever's up against the house. Once again, I don't see the point in cleaning up in Fall when I'm going to have to do it again in Spring, whether I rake in Fall or not.

We've got 4 big trees in our yard. The wind blows most of the leaves away since we have a pretty open yard and it's just not worth my time or energy to rake them when it serves no purpose, other than aesthetics I guess. In Spring, I'll clean up whatever's up against the house. Once again, I don't see the point in cleaning up in Fall when I'm going to have to do it again in Spring, whether I rake in Fall or not.

I'm sure your neighbors love you.

I'm guessing that neither of you have ever lived in a house with a yard with several trees. If we did not collect the leaves into a pile, there would literally be two inches of leaves covering our lawn that a lawn mower (mulching or not) would not take care of (..and deal with in the spring? Why not just deal with it in the Fall..what's the difference?). Also, you don't just blow the leaves and let them sit to get blown around again by the wind. You collect them into a pile with the leaf blower..much easier than raking them (again, trust me, if you had to deal with several trees, you would understand). Then transfer them to the curb (yes, this step might require a little raking to a tarp), where they get picked up by the city (not all municipalities allow burning of leaves).

Lawn sweepers are much more efficient. And much quieter.

Lawn sweepers are much more efficient. And much quieter.

I actually have one of those that I purchased about 15 years ago. Tried it one or two years and have not used it since I would not agree with your "more efficient" comment at all. It fills up very quickly and has to be continuously emptied. We have two small electric (plug in) leaf blowers that are not that loud and work beautifully. The only issue I have with leaf blowers is on windy days they can be hard to work with (if you are not blowing the leaves in the same direction as the wind). Pretty much everyone in our neighborhood uses leaf blowers to clear their lawns (or patios or driveways, etc). It's clearly the most practical and efficient way to get the job done.

• 2 weeks later...

I really want the Brewers to sign Bartolo Colon for next season.

I say this in all truth, and in hopes of pure comedic value of every one of his starts.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

We both sweep and use the blower. However, we have several acres of lawn and the closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. Noise shouldn't be a problem. Plus, we compost the leaves and grass clipping to add to the gardens. On the topic of leaf blowers, they work great at blowing snow off of the sidewalks and deck. As long as it isn't too deep or wet.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone ever apply to University of Minnesota, or have a son/daughter apply there? If so, do you recall the day of the week the accept/decline notice was sent out? If so, was it Sunday? My son applied there in August. They started processing applications in October. During the last two Sundays he has had friends who have received their replies (on Sunday) and they all applied in August. So, he's hoping to hear soon. Also, on their Application tracker it states something like "Please note that this tracker will be down every Sunday morning from 6am to 12pm for scheduled maintenance", which seems like it might be down each week at that time as they update the status of all the students who are getting replies. Just curious if anyone remembers anything like this and if my son should only expect to see updates to his status on Sundays.

I went to school there in the Mid-90s, but that system wasn't in place. Back then, there was a formula involving GPA and ACT scores, if you were above a line, you were in. I don't even remember getting a letter from them, although I'm sure I did. Sorry I can't be of much help, hope he gets in! It's a great campus, just very very very cold :)

Archived