Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2015–2018 (plus one)

jerichoholicninja
I have found over the last 20 years or so that if I'm talking to someone and they say that they "don't like", "never got", or "never watched" Seinfeld, it instantly changes my image of that person in a negative way and I know that we will never really ever be good friends. This may sound like an irrational way to judge people, and maybe it is, but sense of humor is a huge factor in regards to whether or not I can ever really get along well with someone. To me, Seinfeld is the benchmark in judgement of sense of humor. As Jerry's mom would say, "How can anyone not like Seinfeld?!"

Sorry to anyone on the board that doesn't like Seinfeld. It's not that I don't like you. I just know, from that little piece of information, that we probably do not have a whole lot in common.

This entire post is me in a nutshell.

Plus you could replace "Seinfeld" with "Calvin and Hobbes" and it'd still be the same.

What about a person like me who loves Seinfeld but never liked Calvin and Hobbes?

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about a person like me who loves Seinfeld but never liked Calvin and Hobbes?

You're just a lost cause. :laughing Seriously though I think part of the problem for me wasn't just Seinfeld. It was the whole standup comedian turned sitcom fad back then. Tim Allen, Rosanne Barr, Seinfeld, Bill Cosby, Ellen DeGeneres pretty much anyone who had an HBO special over the previous decade suddenly did a sitcom. None of which was as funny as their standup stuff. I would get all hyped to see them only to find each one less interesting than the last. Even Seinfeld's mantra of a show about nothing wasn't all that fresh. Married With Children did that first in the sense that it was not there to teach us all a lesson or be a moral compass. It was simply there to be funny.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• 3 weeks later...
I was following a big four wheel drive truck today. One of those that are jacked up with huge tires and such. It had two bumper stickers on it. One said bad (butt) boys have bad (butt) toys. The other said real men do it in the dirt. Then we come to a railroad track in the road and he slows down to two miles per hour to cross it. My guess is his music collection is equally hard core. A mix of Justin Bieber, One Direction, Justin Timberlake maybe some Lady Gaga when he gets all crazy. When he goes old school it's probably Janet Jackson or maybe the soundtrack to Flash Dance or something.

I came here to post that then I saw your post Patrick425. I never liked Seinfeld. If that is the benchmark of comedy I chose my profession poorly. No offense taken though. As long as enough people pay me to make them laugh I am good with not being funny. ;)

I feel the same way about Seinfeld. Never watched the show, I would tell people that and they would tell me that I had to watch it because it was so funny. So I went online and looked for what were rated as some of the best episodes and then a few random ones and it wasn't funny at all to me.

Now I'm not a professional comedian or anything. The thought of having to write jokes bores me and the thought of having to perform them in front of people terrifies me, plus I'm much funnier when I don't have time to think and I just say what I'm thinking.

But yeah, count me in the crowd that doesn't find Seinfeld entertaining, funny or any other positive adjective that could be used to describe that show.

So, I just saw something today that stated that Bill Murray has only seen one episode of Seinfeld (the last one) and didn't find it funny, and I'm also a big bill Murray fan. In fact, if someone told me that they didn't like Bill Murray or didn't find him funny, I would be suspicious of that person as well. So......go figure.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I came here to post that then I saw your post Patrick425. I never liked Seinfeld. If that is the benchmark of comedy I chose my profession poorly. No offense taken though. As long as enough people pay me to make them laugh I am good with not being funny. ;)

I feel the same way about Seinfeld. Never watched the show, I would tell people that and they would tell me that I had to watch it because it was so funny. So I went online and looked for what were rated as some of the best episodes and then a few random ones and it wasn't funny at all to me.

Now I'm not a professional comedian or anything. The thought of having to write jokes bores me and the thought of having to perform them in front of people terrifies me, plus I'm much funnier when I don't have time to think and I just say what I'm thinking.

But yeah, count me in the crowd that doesn't find Seinfeld entertaining, funny or any other positive adjective that could be used to describe that show.

So, I just saw something today that stated that Bill Murray has only seen one episode of Seinfeld (the last one) and didn't find it funny, and I'm also a big bill Murray fan. In fact, if someone told me that they didn't like Bill Murray or didn't find him funny, I would be suspicious of that person as well. So......go figure.

The last episode of Seinfeld wasn't very good. Terrible episode to judge the series on.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The last episode of Seinfeld wasn't very good. Terrible episode to judge the series on.

People always say that, and I never understood. I think people were just expecting too much. They pretty much had every character that ever appeared on the show in the finale and it was somewhat clever how they closed it with the same topic that the first show started with (the 2nd button). I think people were expecting the last episode of the series to be the best episode...that's a pretty tall order.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Humor is a funny thing. I've never understood how someone doesn't think Seinfeld is funny. Then again, I know a lot of people LOVE Big Bang Theory. I don't think it's funny at all, in fact I can't stand it.

Every comedy uses the set up line, punch line formula to some degree and I think Big Bang Theory fits into the sit-com company that uses that formula too much as a crutch. Seinfeld didn't rely on that nearly to the degree as most other sit-coms. It also didn't drag out and try to re-invent old tired contrived situations that were uses many times by other sit-coms. The scenarios in each episode were clever, creative, and new.

Humor is a funny thing. I've never understood how someone doesn't think Seinfeld is funny. Then again, I know a lot of people LOVE Big Bang Theory. I don't think it's funny at all, in fact I can't stand it.

How could anyone not like you?!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If I bought a subscription from nfl.com to watch Packer games at a later time, would I end up always seeing the score of the game before I get to actually watch it, just from having to go on a football site to access it?

I'm going to be working most Sundays and would prefer not to have to buy a television and a cable subscription just for football games.

I think that writing on this board helped me with my Written Communication class this semester. Other than here, I have not done much writing over the last 20 years.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never liked Luke Hochevar because of this:

Rated the second-best college starter in the 2005 draft, Hochevar tied for the NCAA Division I lead with 15 wins and led Tennessee to the College World Series. He was a candidate to go No. 1 overall to the Diamondbacks, but his signability dropped him to the Dodgers at No. 40. On Labor Day weekend, Hochevar switched agents from Scott Boras to Matt Sosnick and agreed to a $2.98 million bonus. Then he switched back to Boras, reneged on the deal and accused the Dodgers of trying to force him into a bad deal.

So I find myself somewhat amused with how his career has gone, sometimes people get exactly what they deserve. Though I guess since he's had a long MLB career the joke is actually on me.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Had to do a gig for a woman while she was in chemotherapy today. Bit of pressure trying to be funny while people are hooked up to IVs and fighting cancer. But it is nice to bring a little humor to people who could use a laugh. Not to mention inspiring seeing people with a sense of humor despite what life throws at them.

Congrats, Hawing.

I hope everybody has a fun and safe 4th of July today. And know that whenever my coworkers (law enforcement) tell a story of an encounter they had, it invariably begins with "So these people had been drinking all day....."

And for those of us who have to work today, I'll do an extra rain dance for you, too.

My wife made me watch the world cup final today. I can definitely appreciate the athleticism that it takes to play soccer but, sorry, I just don't get it. Nothing I watched was interesting in any way.

Also, I don't know who the announcers were but they were pretty dull and boring, which didn't help at all.

Archived