Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2015–2018 (plus one)

jerichoholicninja
As we were discussing the NHL, which cities don't have a major sports franchise, etc. it got me thinking. I travel quite often, and have been most everywhere over my (many) years. Yet I have never been to Houston or Seattle.

I went to Seattle in 2016, when the Brewers played out there. An amazing town to visit for a week (or weekend). Don't think I'd want to live there unless I was making a ton of money though. Expensive and crowded.

Went to Seattle a few years ago. Really nice place. Aside from it being the only time if my life someone has ever offered to sell me drugs.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my student employees is a Cardinals fan. (I know. But he was the only applicant for his specific position, and he was qualified to do the work, and passing over an applicant based on sports team fandom is not ethical.)

This is his last semester of grad school, so he's commencing his job search. Today he asked me if I would provide a "positive reference" for him.

The phrasing sounded odd to me; I paused before replying; he got all worried that I wasn't willing to help.

What would you think if someone asked you for a "positive reference"? I'm trying to figure out if that was awkward or if I'm out of touch. FWIW, the student said he got the phrase from a job searching website, and even sent me the link and the context, despite my saying (multiple times) that I believed him.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I think it's fine. I think he's asking you to speak highly of him, should someone call or write.

A lot of times, subordinates are unsure what supervisors "really" think of them. And if they list you as a reference and then you run through all of their faults to a prospective employer, that would be bad.

I think it's fine. I think he's asking you to speak highly of him, should someone call or write.

A lot of times, subordinates are unsure what supervisors "really" think of them. And if they list you as a reference and then you run through all of their faults to a prospective employer, that would be bad.

I'm accustomed to being asked to provide employment references for my employees. Just the "positive" sounded unnecessary, maybe like he was begging me to find something good to say.

He's worn his Wainwright shirsey to work (I don't have a rule against T-shirts) too many times for me to be able to emphasize his classiness. But in 25+ years, I've yet to have a student employee about whom I could say nothing good.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22212592/atlanta-falcons-drop-prices-make-more-money-mercedes-benz-stadium-concessions

Awesome. I was curious to see how this worked out.

It makes sense that more people are willing to buy food if it's cheaper, thus you sell more and end up making more. I also like that their prices already include tax.

One of my student employees is a Cardinals fan. (I know. But he was the only applicant for his specific position, and he was qualified to do the work, and passing over an applicant based on sports team fandom is not ethical.)

This is his last semester of grad school, so he's commencing his job search. Today he asked me if I would provide a "positive reference" for him.

The phrasing sounded odd to me; I paused before replying; he got all worried that I wasn't willing to help.

What would you think if someone asked you for a "positive reference"? I'm trying to figure out if that was awkward or if I'm out of touch. FWIW, the student said he got the phrase from a job searching website, and even sent me the link and the context, despite my saying (multiple times) that I believed him.

I got a call from an employer about a former employee recently. I wish they would have asked me to be a reference as I would have declined. I am 99% sure she did not get that job after the phone call I received.

I've probably used the "positive" word in asking for references before. It's easy to worry the person would agree out of politeness but then only give a marginal reference.

I like to call current/past employers when people check the "It's ok to call my employer" box. Often the employer doesn't realize the person is looking for new work (hey not my problem, as you checked the box) and I get more honest work reviews.

So I finished my taxes last week and somehow I got my State return in less than a week after filing.

Not complaining but this feels weird.

Nice. I'd imagine right now is about the fastest turnaround time you can get, since most people wait much longer to file.

As an employer I would be more concerned about his response. I get that he was going with the advice from a job searching website- as though the internet is all knowing- but that wouldn't really comfort me. This is a person who is about to go into the real world where he will be expected to analyze information and make appropriate decisions. Sending his boss a link to an internet site about why he did something, for lack of a better word odd, isn't likely a winning strategy. If he's a good guy it might be a good teaching moment. Learning never ends. Nor does teaching.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

As an employer I would be more concerned about his response. I get that he was going with the advice from a job searching website- as though the internet is all knowing- but that wouldn't really comfort me. This is a person who is about to go into the real world where he will be expected to analyze information and make appropriate decisions. Sending his boss a link to an internet site about why he did something, for lack of a better word odd, isn't likely a winning strategy. If he's a good guy it might be a good teaching moment. Learning never ends. Nor does teaching.

Hahaha. Same guy waited until 15 minutes before closing today - while I was training a new employee - to ask if I'd look over a cover letter he'd drafted. He's not a bad guy (baseball aside), but sometimes he's juuuuuuuuuust a bit oblivious or tone deaf.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I had someone in HR tell me that when you are asking for someone to be a reference, you should always ask them if they will be a 'good' reference. So the 'positive' thing is not a surprise - and the polite way of asking.

The HR person said it's amazing how many times she had called a reference and had the person NOT give a good account of the person. She said you should always check with a person -- specifically saying, "Will you give me a positive reference?"

I had someone in HR tell me that when you are asking for someone to be a reference, you should always ask them if they will be a 'good' reference. So the 'positive' thing is not a surprise - and the polite way of asking.

The HR person said it's amazing how many times she had called a reference and had the person NOT give a good account of the person. She said you should always check with a person -- specifically saying, "Will you give me a positive reference?"

That sounds all well and good to ask for a "positive" reference but how many people will say to your face that they won't give you a good reference. If they do, you probably shouldn't have asked them in the first place.

That tends to be advice aimed at a younger audience, though. If you're 40 you've already figured it out. I used to hire a lot of young people for summer jobs and they just don't tend to have a lot of references that they'll ask anybody. Plus many of them have a false sense that they're doing great work when really they're not.

But yeah, if someone asked you for a reference and you had nothing positive to say, some supervisors should be a little more assertive and answer no.

Saw this as the headline on an article on MLB trade rumors:

Market Notes: Orioles, Lynn, Dickey, Braves

The only two names that stood out to me were Lynn Dickey. :laughing

Edit: If you are younger than 40 and/or not a Packer fan, Google it.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Saw this as the headline on an article on MLB trade rumors:

Market Notes: Orioles, Lynn, Dickey, Braves

The only two names that stood out to me were Lynn Dickey. :laughing

Edit: If you are younger than 40 and/or not a Packer fan, Google it.

You may beat our pack...but you'll never lick our dickey!

I'm 32. My ol man told me that commercial. Thought it was hilarious.

• 1 month later...
There is nothing wrong with asking for a positive reference and is becoming quite common these days. Obviously some people are going to like your work and some not. You could be 1/20 people that don’t like there work, but maybe like them as a person. They are trying to land a job and they want people that will speak highly of them. I think you are being way too critical if you are getting bent out of shape over him saying “positive”. Though really you should be able to realize if someone is going to be a good reference of not.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived