Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2015–2018 (plus one)

jerichoholicninja
I don't want to potentially derailed the Ramirez thread so I will put this here. I'm thinking about the cost of Rule 5 picks and it got me wondering if the 50,000 was what it was originally or if it has changed over time. Because 50,000 seems like a trivial amount of money, like how when some players I traded for a dollar. And when I checked the wiki it only increased my curiosity because it mentions the $50,000 being there to prevent excessive turnover.

Found a baseball America article originally published in 95 that says in 85 it went from 25k to the 50k it is now. So i guess at some point they thought 25 wasnt enough, but either because the wealth in the sport exploded or some other reason they stopped caring. Because I imagine when it was first introduced 25000 was a decent chunk of change

They could eliminate the fee at this point and it wouldn't change anything. The cost of the player's salary is so much higher than the fee that the fee is meaningless. All it's there for now is to throw a bone to the team that loses the player.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was raised in a country farm house surrounded by fields and woods. Growing up we never had problems with animals in our garden or house. There was the occasional skunk or wood chuck that would come around for a little while but that was it.

I've lived in the city for just over 2 years and in that time we've had our garden destroyed by deer and rabbits and it seems a brood of mice moved into the house over the winter. I caught 2 in the basement a few months ago and I've gotten 3 in the garage this week, all within 2 hours of setting the traps.

"I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood"

Oh man, who writes lyrics like this. Every time I hear this song, I pause and make myself aware of brilliance...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'm curious about why drivers who go 10+ MPH over the speed limit, get irate that I cut them off in a somewhat congested area in town. I feel horrible when I accidentally cut somebody off if it was an honest mistake. I have no remorse when it's somebody flying down the road.

I don't want to double post. Even though I've been married for over 3 years now, it's weird to me being addressed as Mr. and Mrs Stalton. To me those names are reserved for my parents.

Oh man, who writes lyrics like this. Every time I hear this song, I pause and make myself aware of brilliance...

Such a great song and such a great line! It's the middle of the night and you just inspired me to listen to that song.

Such a great song and such a great line! It's the middle of the night and you just inspired me to listen to that song.

:)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can appreciate Eddie in all his glory...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Many years ago when Pearl Jam was still really new, i went to a music festival at Alpine Valley and they played early, around 3-4 o'clock or so. Well the group of friends i was with along with myself chose to party longer in the parking lot instead of going in early enough to see Pearl Jam. Never ended up seeing them live. Still bugs me a little bit to this day.

That said, Ministry played later that night and it was one of the best live shows i ever seem. That place absolutely erupted when they took the stage to Just One Fix.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Many years ago when Pearl Jam was still really new, i went to a music festival at Alpine Valley and they played early, around 3-4 o'clock or so. Well the group of friends i was with along with myself chose to party longer in the parking lot instead of going in early enough to see Pearl Jam. Never ended up seeing them live. Still bugs me a little bit to this day.

That said, Ministry played later that night and it was one of the best live shows i ever seem. That place absolutely erupted when they took the stage to Just One Fix.

Lollapalooza in 1992. Soundgarden, Ministry, Pearl Jam, Ice Cube, Chili Peppers. I was there and that was one of the best concerts from my wasted youth, lol.

Yep RoCo, that was it. Big sod throwing mayhem during Soundgarden and i remember Ice Cube doing a song with the Chili Peppers.

For me though, the highlight was Ministry. Can't remember a louder band live and the way the crowd just exploded as Just One Fix opened the show. Man that was one of the best overall concert experiences of my life. To be about 20 again and going to shows like that.

Can't beat Alpine Valley IMO for a concert experience on a nice summer night. Speaking of Alpine Valley, also right around the early 90's i went to see Guns and Roses there even though i wasn't a big fan of their music, but i girl i was trying to get some booty from asked me to go with her and her friends. It started down pouring rain and the hill turned into a slopping mess, but Guns and Roses played right through the rain. Ended up having a far better time than i expected.

Overheard from someone in their early 20's today: "So, what was Watergate? Something bad with water pollution or something?"

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

We have been in our house for 7 years. When we bought it, we both acknowledged that we weren't going to stay here forever and we wanted something bigger in the future. We are at a point financially where we can probably afford to upgrade, and I routinely check the real estate listings just in case that "perfect" house comes along. I have passed a few listings on to my wife, who has responded with, "it's not time." She doesn't want to go through the process of getting our house ready to sell, and I can understand that. None of the houses I have passed on have been "perfect," lacking a couple things here and there.

However, today I came across a house that checks off everything that we want in our next house and it's in our price range. It's been on the market for less than two weeks. I want to send it to her because this could be an opportunity to buy that "perfect" house. I even drove past it today and it is awesome. I don't know how to convince my wife to even consider it.

I do not think I could care less about the Olympics. Especially sports where the winner is determined by judges. My wife has made me watch the diving and gymnastic trials the last two nights and all I see are people doing the same flips and twirls as everybody else but someone apparently does it better and every single person there knows who it is. I can appreciate the athleticism, agility, and hard work from these athletes but I just don't care.

Also, the massive amounts of makeup that all the female gymnasts are wearing is ridiculous. They all look like Barbie dolls who've had facelifts.

We have been in our house for 7 years. When we bought it, we both acknowledged that we weren't going to stay here forever and we wanted something bigger in the future. We are at a point financially where we can probably afford to upgrade, and I routinely check the real estate listings just in case that "perfect" house comes along. I have passed a few listings on to my wife, who has responded with, "it's not time." She doesn't want to go through the process of getting our house ready to sell, and I can understand that. None of the houses I have passed on have been "perfect," lacking a couple things here and there.

However, today I came across a house that checks off everything that we want in our next house and it's in our price range. It's been on the market for less than two weeks. I want to send it to her because this could be an opportunity to buy that "perfect" house. I even drove past it today and it is awesome. I don't know how to convince my wife to even consider it.

Set up a viewing, put her in the car and tell her you are taking her somewhere. That way if she sees it first hand and loves it, she will be motivated.

For the past few days, Time Warner has assigned me an IP in the Fremont, CA area despite the fact that I'm in Wisconsin. On one hand, I don't mind the anonymity. On the other hand, when I want to find nearby businesses, I get information on businesses in California.

I could likely get around that by enabling Location Services for my web browsers, but I don't feel inclined to do that. I have Location Services restricted to Maps and the weather, and they find me accurately.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
For the past few days, Time Warner has assigned me an IP in the Fremont, CA area despite the fact that I'm in Wisconsin. On one hand, I don't mind the anonymity. On the other hand, when I want to find nearby businesses, I get information on businesses in California.

I could likely get around that by enabling Location Services for my web browsers, but I don't feel inclined to do that. I have Location Services restricted to Maps and the weather, and they find me accurately.

Does that trick MLB TV and blackout the Dodgers instead?

It would be more likely to black out the A's and Giants. :)

I haven't checked to see what's happening, but I think MLB.TV generally relies on more sophisticated means to determine my location. I'm sure that it insisted on using Location Services on my Apple TV. I don't know what it does on the Mac. But I do know that Google Chrome has never asked for access to my location. That's the only browser I can use to watch MLB.TV because it's the only browser I have that does Flash.

I checked out all my toys.

On the iPad and on both Apple TVs, I'm getting what's expected. I get the A's game, and the Brewers are blacked out.

In Google Chrome on the Mac, it's the opposite. I have access to the Brewers but not the A's.

So I'm figuring that Macs/PCs are more apt to rely on IP addresses while app-based devices will rely on actual physical location.

My IP is back to the locale where it belongs. Like the switch to California, I didn't to anything to cause this.

And yeah, the Kansas City airport is strange.

I shouldn't have added chili powder to the beef stew. Didn't add much, but now it has a slight "chili" taste to it. Oh well, who doesn't enjoy both?

Cumin is a good spice I like to add, though it has that sorta 'dull' flavor and it always makes me tempted to add something else.

Archived