Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2015)

jerichoholicninja
5 job interviews in the last 4 months and 5 rejections. I'm at the point where I'd rather not even get interviews anymore. It's less depressing.

Not sure what your qualifications are Jericho or what you are looking for, but keep plugging away. When I graduated from college over 25 years ago, I had a whole binder of rejection letters. At least 30 of them. Not sure why I kept them at the time. Many of them were rejections before I could even get a resume. Other than my college degree and a mediocre 3.0 GPA, my resume was pretty thin. I finally landed a job that did not pay very well (compared to what other grads I knew were getting at the time), but gave me the opportunity to prove myself and make connections. Never really had to go through that again. For the most part the jobs I took since that time were through people that I had already worked for and knew what I was capable of.

Stick with it, it will pay off in the long run.

I have a job right now. It has very little to do with my field and I'm just sick of it. It took me almost 4 years after finishing college to find a "real" job and that one lasted all of 4.5 months before I was laid off. Not that I was complaining at the time, the boss was/is an actual crook and human garbage (I've complained about him many times on here before). I was then out of work for a year until I got the job I currently have and I've just had enough of it. Since I graduated college I've pretty much spent the majority of the last 7ish years job searching. I've just had enough of it. There's been too many jobs I've really had my heart set on and truly got excited about that I haven't gotten.

I've interviewed for the job that I checked every box of the job description. No go.

I've interviewed for the job where I was in very good with the decision makers and had people on the inside pulling for me. No go.

I've interviewed for the job where I had all the connections and experience for the position. No go.

I've even interviewed for a job where I had previously held that same job at another place and didn't get it because, as I found out later, they had already made their decision about who to hire before they even posted the job.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've interviewed for the job that I checked every box of the job description. No go.

I've interviewed for the job where I was in very good with the decision makers and had people on the inside pulling for me. No go.

I've interviewed for the job where I had all the connections and experience for the position. No go.

I've even interviewed for a job where I had previously held that same job at another place and didn't get it because, as I found out later, they had already made their decision about who to hire before they even posted the job.

Luck...the most important part.

I have a four letter last name.

It rhymes with Both.

99% of people pronounce it as though it rhymes with Moth. Including my boss. Who I've corrected on it at least 12 times.

If it's Toth, I can se why people would default to the "Moth" pronunciation- I know I would. Obviously your own boss should know better though!

That very well could have been the reason why you were rejected for the other four as well, usually you never know when that's the case.

Really hard to give advice on what to so differently. I will say this, not that any of this necessarily applies to you. Now more than ever, employers can find a tremendous amount of information about you before you even walk in the door. Your social media, court records search, etc.

Then, it's how you present yourself. Very common for guys these days to come in with earings, unkept facial hair, visible tats, etc. Does that make someone bad person? No. Do people make judgements on that, if only subliminal? Yes. Same goes for women with visible tats, piercings, "extreme hair sytles, etc. Depending on the company/job none of that may be an issue. But for most places, it is. Fair or unfair.

All of that is actually just part of the problem I see, and hear all the times form others in hiring positions. The entitlement attitude of the 20-30 yr olds. As with anything, this is in general- of course there are many who don't fit this profile. But I see more and more applicants who don't dress/ present themselves professionaly, but even worse come in with that entitlement attitude. "I have done this/that, that so I should get this job." It's important than anyone interviewing focus on what you can do FOR the company. Obvious? Should be, but amazing how rare that is.

Alright, so I browsed here yesterday and read the RIP Chado and the Brewerfan poster you miss posting. They were topics one after the other so I'll share this.

I began experiencing headaches, sensitivity to sunlight looking up(used during my job) and that began on the 4th. after two weeks, and very little help from Migraine meds and being told I don't look like myself by some coworkers. I agreed I'd go to a clinic. Clinic sent me to ER, ER ran CT Scans&MRI(sound torture if you never experienced!) and I was admitted to icu. Came to light I have a rare form of brain cancer for adults, they did surgery to remove mass/tumor and I'm doing well. Probably very well considering. I've been under rediculous precautions because I have a low heart-rate since I can remember 40-45Resting I thought(was 37 while prepping in surgery), but that doesn't account for concerns if/when it drops lower out of nowhere. Aside from the incision and being inside limited in movement for 9days and counting now, I feel like I can do everything fine on my own. It's just a matter of convincing the Drs that I can.

So what's bugging me, the waiting game in all of this. Being refined to this hospital. Waiting on new answers. But to open the brewerfan.net page yesterday it was RIP Chado topic I seen that bugged me. Posters you missed right below. I don't know how close I was to being that had I just kept fighting through the headache pains. I've always lived on the side that I'm going to make 100years old, never smoked in my life, never done any drugs, and that considering my upbringing, staying years total now in Miami Beach just can't be true when you here it. But I'm going to say that is why I'm getting past this, and will be working again in no time.

You all know I visit/ post here often, if for whatever reason I became that poster you hadn't heard from, I guess you could assume the worst happened for me under my new circumstance. Anyway, it's boring in here, can't play any laptop games to pass the time, a few movies at least today to watch, so I've taken the time to post since I have way more time on my hands than I know what to do with. Thanks for reading, my spirits are high, I feel good, very confident I'll be normal in no time.

Brew crew--keep fighting the good fight man and as hard as it is, keep listening to the docs. What your going through takes a ton of energy and support from the rest of your body and it's very easy to over do things.

Thanks for posting your story here as well. The more people hear about these kind of issues, the less likely they are to "power through" issues on their own. Sometimes a visit to the doc can really save your life.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Brewcrewdue80--

Best wishes on a speedy and full recovery. I'm glad to hear that you received treatment and caught this when you did. There may be difficult days ahead, but know that there is a community of fellow Brewers fans at our own computers, pulling for you.

And if you're cooped up in recovery for awhile, at least you'll have 6 months of baseball starting up in a few days.

You're welcome to keep us informed of your progress...or to keep it private, too. It's totally up to you. Good luck.

Brewcrewdue80--

Best wishes on a speedy and full recovery. I'm glad to hear that you received treatment and caught this when you did. There may be difficult days ahead, but know that there is a community of fellow Brewers fans at our own computers, pulling for you.

And if you're cooped up in recovery for awhile, at least you'll have 6 months of baseball starting up in a few days.

You're welcome to keep us informed of your progress...or to keep it private, too. It's totally up to you. Good luck.

This -- all of this.

Thank you for sharing, bcdue, & best wishes. Your positive attitude will go a long way toward helping you get through everything.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The new stuff isn't even country. It's like a combination of pop and rap with beer, trucks, and tractors.

That's the whole thing. If we were going to hear Hank Williams Sr. and Johnny Cash, it'd be a whole lot different than listening to the stuff they've been calling "Country" over the past couple of decades.

Perfectly said!

Brewcrewdue - keep those spirits high like they appear to be right now! You're right, you will be back at it sooner than later. Do what they tell you to do and stay positive. Thanks for sharing. My thoughts are with you!

MLB box scores are awful. You have to sift through all that gameday garbage. Why can't they have a concise boxscore like the newspapers? I hate going to ESPN for something that simple.

MLB box scores are awful. You have to sift through all that gameday garbage. Why can't they have a concise boxscore like the newspapers? I hate going to ESPN for something that simple.

Plus, their website isn't optimized for mobile. Maybe it's just me, but the box scores are shoved to the far right and cut-off when I view on tablet or phone.

My Opening Day: I had to make a court appearance related to a former employee (I can't go into details, but I can say I'm not in any sort of trouble). Anyway, there was a case going on before the scheduled hearing I was there for, and I saw a man get convicted of his 5th OWI offense and sentenced to prison. It wasn't an experience I really relished being part of, and it was surreal seeing someone about 20 feet away being put into handcuffs and taken away. Kind of like being in a movie I wanted no part of.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The commercial that opens with the question "Have you or a loved one been hospitalized or died?"

The mesothelioma ones too. Ive been in EMS for almost 10 years and have yet to come across anyone with that diagnosis yet

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Saw a car with a Brewers vanity plate that said "8 LIES". Is that really worth the price of a vanity plate? It looked like an older lady driving the car too.

At least most people would know what it means. I have Brewer plates with "19 HOF". Most people have no idea what it means. Went to Saturday's Brewer game and the person taking my parking pass asked if it was for B.J. Hoffman? I asked her if she meant B.J. Surhoff or Trevor Hoffman, got a blank stare, then I said it's not related to either of them and then drove away because I figured I had wasted enough time of the people behind me in line. I need to come up with different plates. I'm tired of answering questions about the meaning of my plates.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Saw a car with a Brewers vanity plate that said "8 LIES". Is that really worth the price of a vanity plate? It looked like an older lady driving the car too.

At least most people would know what it means. I have Brewer plates with "19 HOF". Most people have no idea what it means. Went to Saturday's Brewer game and the person taking my parking pass asked if it was for B.J. Hoffman? I asked her if she meant B.J. Surhoff or Trevor Hoffman, got a blank stare, then I said it's not related to either of them and then drove away because I figured I had wasted enough time of the people behind me in line. I need to come up with different plates. I'm tired of answering questions about the meaning of my plates.

I would be stunned if more people knew what "8 LIES" meant than "19 HOF"

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

First thought: My goodness. While it's not a huge dollar amount, just the thought of investing in that to keep grinding an ax is mind-boggling.

Second thought: any chance it was Mrs. Haudricourt? (Sorry. I'm pretty sure TH doesn't deign to read message boards like this.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I would be stunned if more people knew what "8 LIES" meant than "19 HOF"

Oh, I would bet that twice as many know what 8 LIES means than what 19 HOF means. Anyone who is a current Brewer fan pretty much knows who wears #8. You would not believe how many don't know who wore #19. Most of the people that ask me don't even know what 19 represents and the ones that do don't get the HOF at all. I fell like most people think HOF is one of 2 things:

- Trevor Hoffman

- David Hasselhof (why one would reference him on a Brewer's plate, I have no idea).

....and then the .01% who think it's in regards to someone named B.J. Hoffman.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived