Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2015)

jerichoholicninja
  • Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand those recommended weights the government tells people about. I am a tall guy and don't consider myself fat or obese by any means. Not super skinny either. However in order to meet what the government calls a healthy weight I would need to lose like 40 pounds. I would be skin and bones.

Ignore what BMI says. BMI is for a specific body type, if you're broad chested and muscular your BMI will be way off.

Body fat % is a much better way to judge things.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

For those who don't like meandering shoppers, there is an assisted living facility that brings one of those van/bus hybrid things full of shoppers once a week to the store where i do most of my shopping. Its pretty amazingly slow and congested.
Formerly AKA Pete

There was a study over a decade ago that said that healthy-recommended-weight people spent an average of $20/month on medication, medically-defined "overweight" people spent an average of $40/month on medication, and medically-defined "obese" people spent an average of $80/month on medication. Eating healthy and investing (and utilizing) a gym membership, while in the short-term are additional expenses, in the long-run save money. A majority of medical expenditures are self-inflicted results of personal choices, not random accidents or losing the genetic lottery.

That seems rational, but not necessarily true. Buying a gym membership and organic foods your whole life adds up to a lot of money.

I don't suggest being 5'2" 600 pounds is ever healthy, but if someone is a few pounds overweight with no family history of heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol ,etc. chances are that person will be just fine without buying organic beans or working out at a gym. There is actually quite a bit of research in this area.

Look, I'll go to the farmers market during the summer- more for something to do than anything else. I never add salt to my food-ever. Just got into that habit many years ago. (Now pepper...that's a different story!) I do workout, not as often as I want to. So I do think it's important to take care of yourself, I guess it's just a matter of degree.

I don't understand those recommended weights the government tells people about. I am a tall guy and don't consider myself fat or obese by any means. Not super skinny either. However in order to meet what the government calls a healthy weight I would need to lose like 40 pounds. I would be skin and bones.

Ignore what BMI says. BMI is for a specific body type, if you're broad chested and muscular your BMI will be way off.

Body fat % is a much better way to judge things.

Bingo. People ask me all the time how much weight I've lost and I tell them I don't know, I'm chasing a body fat % and could care less about the rest, I'm down over 10% body fat, besides specific work out goals that's what matters to me.

When I first started losing weight I was on the scale once a week to check the poundage to see what was working and what wasn't. Now that I have an established routine going on 3 years I haven't checked my weight in forever, it's constantly changing as I continue to put on muscle and lose fat anyway. I'm sure I'm back over 200 LBs but that doesn't bother me as I pursue my fitness goals.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I wasn't necessarily referring to organic produce; I was referring to fruits/vegetables/lean meats in general as opposed to processed/fried foods and burger joint "extra value meals" with fries and a soda. But exercise is directly related to weight - it is a significant part of the "calories-out" part of the equation.

There are a lot of costs in the health care system that aren't necessarily visible. A generic prescription may have a $10 copay, and people may look at that and think it's only $10 a month. But I've seen some generics, with a $10-15 copay, have a cash price of $200/month. The health insurer is absorbing almost $200/month in costs (just in prescription costs, not including physician costs of treating the patient), when a gym membership (under $50/month) and additional health food costs (say, $100/month) would have prevented it. Someone may have a HMO or a low deductible on their health plan and a broken foot or knee surgery, a result of carrying 50 extra lbs, only costs them $500 but it costs the system $5000. Those costs are then spread around in the form of higher premiums to everyone, and people like me who eat healthy, exercise regularly, don't take medications and rarely see a doctor end up subsidizing health care costs for unhealthy people.

And that really bugs me.

FWIW, a brisk walk is the thing I hear as being great for health. I live in a neighborhood with trees, sidewalks and a park and my neighbors think its a wow thing that I walk a mile or so to the grocery.

I'm not sure how to characterize it but something like 5 times a week for 20 minutes at a brisk pace is supposed to be good stuff.

A lot of times its just me and the dog walkers.

Formerly AKA Pete

I never add salt to my food-ever. Just got into that habit many years ago. (Now pepper...that's a different story!)

Pepper is a great option to use instead of salt. It works on practically anything, it's always available, and eating as much as you want isn't a nutritional problem.

Not adding salt is a great first step. Step two is to look at what you buy and figure out where it's lurking in egregious amounts; that can be at least as bad — if not worse — than adding it. Many of these foods can be switched out for alternatives, i.e making something similar yourself or switching to a different product. Once you weed these things out, you'll probably find room for controlled amounts of salty foods that you can't "fix," e.g. pickles. Make sure that you consider practical serving sizes rather than the serving sizes on the packages.

A lot of times its just me and the dog walkers.

I definitely put on weight when my dog died.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It takes a lot of excercise to lose weight. Portion control is way more important. Probably the biggest change I made was changing how much I ate at a sitting. I cut out soda, chips, and most desserts.

Even meat at stores can have additives. They add salt water to chicken.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yeah, there can be additives, and sellers aren't required to report what's added to products sold at the meat counter. I asked about the shrimp at the meat counter at Sendik's after I heard that shrimp was particularly susceptible to having stuff added. They said it was the same stuff that they sell in frozen bags, and the ingredients panel indicated a high (not nominal) amount of added salt. The shrimp at Whole Foods is a much better option. A heart patient will fill up well before ever having to worry about what he's consuming.

I get chicken at Trader Joe's. It's boned and skinned, it's reasonably priced, it's easy to cook, and it has an ingredients panel. It's great for a convenient meal.

It takes a lot of excercise to lose weight. Portion control is way more important. Probably the biggest change I made was changing how much I ate at a sitting. I cut out soda, chips, and most desserts.

Yup. I will even admit to people that weight loss is roughly 75% diet and 25% exercise, and this comes from someone who has been in the fitness business for eight years.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

She may have lost some fat and gained some muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, so it weighs more. But with weight staying the same, there'd likely be a loss of inches, especially in places where inches matter.

Diet is definitely more important, but exercise is not insignificant. It's not difficult to expend 1000 calories in a week exercising; yesterday I hit 600 on the elliptical machine in 45 minutes. That's just what is quantifiable; exercise has an impact on resting metabolic rate too which will burn more calories. Looking at just what is quantifiable, 1000 calories a week burned via exercise is 52,000 calories a year; assuming 3500 calories per pound of fat, that's about 15 lbs per year. But as logan has mentioned, people don't exercise as much as they should or as much as they think they do, and thus don't get results.

The way I look at it, exercise allows me to enjoy cookies, ice cream, and beer a little more often without any negative impact. And that's one of the problems with diet alone; people give up because they feel like they can never enjoy the treats of life or feel bad if they do. Exercise needs to be looked at as a carrot, not a stick, where the completion of it allows for a reward such as a small bowl of ice cream or a slice of pizza.

That last 5 minutes of the game was the last month of Brewers baseball wrapped up in one crappy little package.

I was thinking the same thing. Epic Meltdown.

Settling for 18 and 19 yard field goals on the road.

Agreed. And being just as much conservative in the 2nd half that allows Seattle to make their comeback. 1-3yard dink/dunk passes just played straight in to a Seattle comeback.

I am in Miami, sitting at a bar during the game and the only true Packer fan their while there was 3 "Retired age" Seattle fans sitting to my left. Having to listen to their laughter of enjoyment was depressing. Seattle's 2nd TD +2pt conversion and hearing that old man say "Good Bye" Damnitt that just bugs me. That is something that will play in my head for the rest of my life, and it's such a crappy memory because of him being so decrepitly old.

Why did Burnett just fall down on the Int with 5min left bugs me too. Seeing that, seeing GB give the ball back to Seattle, it was that moment I thought of the InterTDception, and was feeling this downfall was about to play out.

The 2pt conversion. 2 WRs only 2 defenders on the left side of the field..makes sense defensively. The Game-winning TD. Gotta love a defensive playcall where there is 0 Safetys helping cover Seattle's #1 WR target running a route deep down the middle of the field. If Capers could suck in the 2nd half with his defensive playcalls he made it happen. 3rd and 19. 3 rushers/non rushing watching for a Wilson takeoff, and then allowing a WR to get 5yards passed the 1st down marker wide open? Nice play call. How about the FG playcall. You're up 16-0 just give up the 3pts. Why wasn't there a safety just protecting against what happened from happening? AJ Hawk bites again. Leaves his man to make a tackle, I thought he was smart? Punter running for a first down is better than letting your defending TE position getting behind you free to run for a TD? Stick with him and when Ryan passes the line of Scrimmage break off from your coverage and tackle him before the endzone easily.

Oh. Bostick. Come on what in the [language deleted by moderator] Hell? Jordy Nelson directly lining up behind you. There is w/o a doubt 100% in my mind the play is designed for him to take on a blocking role for Nelson and he absolutely failed at doing his job. #13 was 4 yards ahead a perfect defender to block and Bostick instead jumped up for the ball/shielding Nelson from an opportunity to catch it and immediately allows #13(his responsibility) to be in beyond perfect position to pick up a loose ball. Block #13 Bostick, and even if Nelson juggles the onside as you did, and he has a good chance to recover it still since #13 would have to have gotten by you to fall on the ball. FAIL

It's just a comedy of errors/playcalling. Disney/Universal Studios/ any kind of Hollywood writer, couldn't write this script w/o being laughed off how unbelievable the mistakes/luck occurs to finish and lose this game.

Any other ending of this game I'd be fine with. If GB lost like the Colts did to New England, I'd feel better than I do currently. The way this game finished is just the worst I can think of happening before this game happened. 12pt lead with 5min left and 1st and 10. You lose. You give the ball back, allow a TD, you fail on onside recovery, give up another TD, you fail on 2pt defense, tie the game, lose coin toss, give up HR TD reception to lose game.

It just doesn't get worse than that. 5min with the ball and Super Bowl in sights.

How about the FG playcall. You're up 16-0 just give up the 3pts. Why wasn't there a safety just protecting against what happened from happening? AJ Hawk bites again. Leaves his man to make a tackle, I thought he was smart? Punter running for a first down is better than letting your defending TE position getting behind you free to run for a TD? Stick with him and when Ryan passes the line of Scrimmage break off from your coverage and tackle him before the endzone easily.

Oh. Bostick. Come on what in the [language deleted by moderator] Hell? Jordy Nelson directly lining up behind you. There is w/o a doubt 100% in my mind the play is designed for him to take on a blocking role for Nelson and he absolutely failed at doing his job. #13 was 4 yards ahead a perfect defender to block and Bostick instead jumped up for the ball/shielding Nelson from an opportunity to catch it and immediately allows #13(his responsibility) to be in beyond perfect position to pick up a loose ball. Block #13 Bostick, and even if Nelson juggles the onside as you did, and he has a good chance to recover it still since #13 would have to have gotten by you to fall on the ball. FAIL

It's just a comedy of errors/playcalling. Disney/Universal Studios/ any kind of Hollywood writer, couldn't write this script w/o being laughed off how unbelievable the mistakes/luck occurs to finish and lose this game.

Hawk was in a no-win situation, since he was the only player smart enough to play the fake. In that same position, I think you have to do what he did, which is force the non-QB to make the throw to the non-WR/TE/RB. Even if the coverage is open, the odds are better there's a bad throw or dropped pass. If you let the punter/holder run free, it's a first down 100% of the time.

Both options are bad; I can't blame Hawk for choosing one over the other. The problem was the lack of a safe call.

Bostick has admitted he was supposed to block on the hands team. He was one of the largest disappointments on this year's team, in that he should have challenged Quarless for the starting TE spot...but it just never happened. He didn't just fail to earn a starting spot, he couldn't even make it onto the field. After that play, I feel like I'm starting to see why. (I'll be surprised if he makes the team next year.)

MM's 4 minute offense being as predictable as the red zone offense was such a tremendous letdown.

What's bugging me is not knowing what we are getting for Gallardo. I'm not even mad about the Packers...it's just the same thing that happens every year. McCarthy chokes in the clutch. He's living off the legacy of Favre and Rodgers and it's pathetic to watch.

Archived