Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2015)

jerichoholicninja

I sent a letter, certified mail, from Waunakee to Chippewa Falls on Monday - scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday.

I tracked it online, it was delivered today.

It went from Waunakee to Milwaukee, to Madison, to Waunakee, to Oak Creek, to St Paul, to Chippewa Falls. It took four days to get there.

That's bugging me.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We just got a letter today from my kids' day care, which is less than a mile away from our house. It is postmarked 8/5 and it went to Milwaukee before arriving at our house. We are in the same city as the day care, yet it went to Milwaukee first.

We just got a letter today from my kids' day care, which is less than a mile away from our house. It is postmarked 8/5 and it went to Milwaukee before arriving at our house. We are in the same city as the day care, yet it went to Milwaukee first.

Yup your mail has to go to a regional center or something before it can go to the recipient. We had this problem in my very small city a year or so ago. The local high school's letters to parents came late and people we very upset. The letters(that were given to the local post office) had to take a 2.5hour trip to St Paul before making a return trip back.

Weird guidelines they have to follow.

Yup your mail has to go to a regional center or something before it can go to the recipient. We had this problem in my very small city a year or so ago. The local high school's letters to parents came late and people we very upset. The letters(that were given to the local post office) had to take a 2.5hour trip to St Paul before making a return trip back.

Weird guidelines they have to follow.

That seems weird. I send inter-city letters all the time that make it there next day. Pretty much anywhere in Wisconsin is the next day.

A counter employee once explained to me that they'll sort mail at the local post office if they have time. If the truck arrives before it can be sorted, it gets sent on to the next place.

That's more or less understandable for first class mail, but splitter's letter should have gotten special handling.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The post office I was referring to a couple of posts up used to have a local box. If you mailed before about 7:30 in the morning, the mail would be delivered the same day.

I wonder if - after U.S. mail has been used to send anthrax, the Unabomber, etc. - only select mail facilities have the systems/equipment to scan for mail threats, and thus it's policy for mail to go through those facilities first before delivery in order to protect postal workers.

The USPS has been trying to adopt the model of the private sector to stop of the hemorrhaging of billions every quarter. It was never a very efficient system to start with in comparison with it's private sector rivals and has become even less so on the local level.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There have been a ton of innovations to render most US mail obsolete. Electronic signature, email, internet, etc.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

When people lose lawsuits, they're not found "guilty." It seems that tech bloggers are especially subject to making this error.

• 2 weeks later...
Dealing with a spouse with depression on top of a close friend to both of us passing away.

I had a brief bout with depression two years. I don't know your personal circumstances, but I can sympathize to a degree. My wife was an angel (still is). In the long run, it strengthened our marriage. Best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...
When a 30-year-old actor is hired to play a 70-year-old Col. Sanders in commercials.

And apparently I'm not the only person to feel that way, as they have new commercials - in which Col. Sanders is being played by 51-year-old Norm McDonald - that make fun of these old commercials.

You may want to test your commercials before you air them. That's what your consumer insights/marketing research department is for.

Not new thread-worthy by any means, so it fits in here.

Diamonds. What a scam. what a joke. Please, dont ever buy diamonds for your wife, they are worthless almost as soon as you leave the jeweler. Case in point:

Im an attorney, a criminal defense attorney primarily, which means my clients are almost always broke. I stupidly did some work for a guy without being paid up front and low and behold when his bill came due he had no money so...he offers his diamond earrings and after deciding that if I didnt take these as payment I would most likely receive nothing at all, agreed to accept them under the condition that they be professionally graded and locally appraised. Both were done to my satisfaction, with certificates to prove authenticity. Appraisal comes back at $9,400.00 retail value, which is close to what he paid for them. A bit of research on my end indicates that wholesale value of diamonds (what retailers pay) is about 1/3 of retail value (did you get that, they are marked up 300%....suckers!!) so I figure that I am going to be completely reasonable when I go to these places and try to move these for between $2,500 and $3,000.

Boy was I wrong. Each diamond is 1 full carat, set in platimum (which I guess is pretty nice) I have placed them on craigslist and ebay, numerous times and there is no interest, even at a listing price of 3K and pics of the appraisal and grade - and I wouldnt expect there to be much, who is buying diamonds sight unseen off ebay?). So off the the local jewlers in the Fox Valley and Milwaukee who advertise that they give the most for jewelry, etc. To this point I have been offered a max $875.00 total for the set. That's it, that's all they are worth. Each place I go examines them, confirms that they are what the appraisal says they are, offers me next to nothing. I question them about what the retail price is, and they dont dispute my appraisal. On guy said he would simply put them in his case and list them for close to the appraised value.

I ask, why such a low offer then? And each jeweler has said the exact same thing. "we reference the book" and that dictates what we can offer. This last place I asked what they would do with them, keeping in mind that these earrings were sold from a local jeweler as they are just 2 years ago and they told me they would be sold to a third party, tossed into a vat where the platinum/gold/whatever would be melted down and the diamonds would remain on top and then by plucked out and resold to wholesalers. That seemed like a stretch since they were already good enough to be sold in a store as they are. Luckily for me my wife thinks diamonds are a waste of money before we got married, so she literally owns no diamonds, but this has been a huge eye opener for me on what a scam diamonds are. There is no market for them, they are not able to be sold to anyone at all. They are worthless. If you have a $10,000 diamond on your finger, you are kidding yourself. I could find a shiny rock on the shores of Lake Michigan and set it in a ring and claim its a special $2,000.00 diamond and be closer to its actual resale value than the person who has a similar size actual diamond on their finger that they paid $10,000 for.

Ok..Rant over.

When a 30-year-old actor is hired to play a 70-year-old Col. Sanders in commercials.

And apparently I'm not the only person to feel that way, as they have new commercials - in which Col. Sanders is being played by 51-year-old Norm McDonald - that make fun of these old commercials.

You may want to test your commercials before you air them. That's what your consumer insights/marketing research department is for.

Norm McDonald is awesome. I like those commercials. Also, as someone else stated, Darryl Hammond is 59 (not 30). I prefer these commercials over some attempt to use an "age-appropriate" Col. Sanders look alike (who everyone would know was not the original Col. Sanders anyways).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived