Brewer Fanatic

Harang to Phillies - 1-year/$5 million

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Aaron Harang for one year and $5 million.

The signing isn't anything that big of a deal, but after throwing 200+ innings and a 3.57 ERA last season, the dollars seem a little light, even if Harang will be 37 next year.

Still, the signing removes from the market the last pitcher who won't cost an arm and a leg who had a truly decent year in 2014. Aside from Shields and Scherzer, the best starters are probably Roberto Hernandez, Chris Young and Vogelsong. All are pretty much back of the rotation types.

Once Shields and Scherzer are off the market, it might make a player like Gallardo or Lohse - guys better than anyone in free agency - more attractive in a trade. That's probably especially true once spring training rolls around, and teams have injuries.

Aaron Harang is a #5 SP who miraculously pitched what? 5 starts to begin the season better than Clayton Kershaw? Then promptly gave up 9runs in a game. Last season statistically was his best season by far since 2007. 7years ago. It took Harang his best season in 7years to be just barely better than the NL avg Starter in ERA. He's a guy you just abuse for IP and ignore his results. It worked last season for Atlanta who only had Harang due to Medlen/Beachy having TJ. For the Phillies the deal makes sense, because honestly, does one see them winning 78game next year? He gets an under .500 team through the season if you're lucky.

I'm sure he's headed for a record like 6-14 with a 4.8-5.4ERA for Philly in 180maybe IP for them. I also wouldn't be surprised if he's DFA by the AS break. Atl only paid Harang 1mil last season because he's exactly that. A SP that you rent and hope and get rid of when it fails.

As to picking up Roberto Hernandez/Fausto Carmona. No. This is a man who went 29starts and lasted 162IP in them with a Fip that approached 5 and a whip near 1.4. The Brewers have 6SPs on the roster, if they trade one of them they still have 5 with Jungmann not going to long behind to likely make Carmona-like stats.

Considering all the moves made, any move made on Brewers pitching I'm going to guess is made with a ML player sent Milw's way in return. I don't see them sending away their #1/#2 in the Rotation for a Minor League player with this Playoff team makeup.

Now of course that's different if they made that move and were a team that went out and signed Scherzer or Shields. The team isn't making moves to build for the future when they are positioned in the present. At the AS break and they're failing then it'll happen.

Archived