Brewer Fanatic

2015 Parking Prices

rickh150

Paul. The bar across the street of The Bradley Center can't stay in business no matter who the owner has been. Your economic development is overrated.

The BC wasn't exactly built in an ideal spot for development. When built, it had a freeway to the north that prevented any development that way. It had MATC to the west which wasn't going anywhere. It had the old Arena to the south which wasn't going anywhere. That basically left only the east, where of course a huge parking structure was built, open for real development. The bar that you refer to is attached to that parking garage, which on top of it being away from the cluster of bars on 3rd St, is I'm sure part of the reason why it doesn't succeed. But just because one spot can't seem to turn out a successful business doesn't mean that the whole argument is null and void. If I remember correctly the plans for Miller Park downtown were east of the river where there was much more space available for development.

Where do you park during Bucks games and where do you live? I'm assuming that you don't park in the structure or if you have you have not stayed until the very end of the game.

If I go to a game downtown (I don't usually go to Bucks games but Admirals games, MU games and special events like the NCAA tournament) I either park on the street (it's free after 6) or if I have to park in a structure I'll park in the one on 7th/State. It's kinda kitty corner to the one you park in. It's a little further walk than where you park but it's still literally one block away. I park there because I can enter the structure right from the interstate when coming from the west. To leave I just exit on 9th St, take that three blocks west to 12th, then 12th a block or two south to the on-ramp.

The thing about the BC is that it's not like there is one structure to park in. There's the one you park in at 4th/Highland. The one I park in a 7th/State. There's one at 6th/Highland. There's one at 9th/State. There's a big surface lot on State between 6th and 7th. I remember the furthest I ever had to park was from the parking structure attached to the Grand Avenue mall. That was for the 2006 NCAA Hockey National Championship game that Wisconsin played in. But even then. Once you get out of the structure the walk is 5-6 blocks. That's really not that much farther than some of the lots at Miller Park.

I can see the point of people who like it where it is though, especially out of towners. I go the Kohl Center in Madison every now and then for Badger Hockey games. I'm not familiar with Madison at all and usually park in the first structure I find. I remember one year I made the mistake of going to a game on homecoming weekend and i missed the entire first period because all of the structures were full. Even so though, I don't not go to games because of where the Kohl Center is. And honestly I don't think I'd go to any more or fewer games if the arena were out in sticks somewhere. Honestly if I am deciding to make the hour plus drive to Madison to go the game I am accepting whatever headaches come with it.

But the valley near Miller Park seems ideal to build a stadium with parking already there, land already there et cetera.

I think for out of town people it is good because they aren't typically as familiar with the area and don't want to drive downtown. It's also good for tailgating. But in terms of economic development the stadium is essentially worthless. Miller Parkway may have seen some additional development because of the stadium. Maybe something on National Ave or Bluemound Rd.....I guess. But it's not like a hotel or bar can open up claiming their proximity to Miller Park as an advantage. .

Not being economically developed is a poor argument against economic development. I think first and foremost people from in and out of town want to be able to patronize a Bucks game, a concert or other event without the difficulties that downtown will have.

And for what its worth, Potawatami just built a hotel, there's the hotel by the Harley museum with an active bar as well. There are actually a number of post game places to go, but there would obviously be more if they built the stadium. The area could also develop some green space. I think there's an opportunity to bring in more partners. But, whatever.

Formerly AKA Pete

And for what its worth, Potawatami just built a hotel, there's the hotel by the Harley museum with an active bar as well.

Neither of which are within walking distance of Miller Park and both of which would have been built regardless of whether of not Miller Park was built where it was. They were both attached to other, larger projects. I'm not sure what you are getting at by bringing these two projects up.

I think first and foremost people from in and out of town want to be able to patronize a Bucks game, a concert or other event without the difficulties that downtown will have.

I understand that and I agree with it. But you don't decide the location of a $300 million stadium based on what's most convenient for out of town guests. If you're going to get hundreds of millions of dollars from the taxpayers it'd be nice if there would be new tax revenue created in return. It's hard to say what would have happened with downtown Milwaukee had MP been built there because so much changed around downtown since then. But I'd be willing to guess there'd have been more development around the stadium then then there is now. Now I'm not saying that economic development is the only aspect to consider when building a stadium. But again if you're taking hundreds of millions of dollars in tax revenue it'd be nice if new revenue would be created to help fill the void.

On a side note, again I am biased in that I work downtown, but do people here really avoid Bucks and MU games because the stadium is downtown? Downtown Milwaukee isn't exactly like trying to navigate around the loop in Chicago. You get on to I43, which you can access from any direction, get off on McKinley Ave, go east for about 3 blocks and there it is. I honestly don't think there could be a better location downtown if convenience is your goal. And as I said, there are at least 4 different parking structures and at least 1 surface lot with two blocks of the BC. Yeah you might have to pay $15-$20 but that's about what you're paying for parking at Miller Park anyway. I'm a little surprised that so many people seem to avoid the BC because it's downtown.

I think most in town guests would prefer a non-downtown location. I think there would be less tax revenue needed and more development opportunities. Miller Park is isolated in great part because of government bodies.

I lived downtown at one time so I'm all for the urban experience. Yes, there are many people in the greater Milwaukee area who almost never go downtown. Now that I live on the South Side I almost never go downtown and if I do its usually on a bicycle.

Formerly AKA Pete

I'm a little surprised that so many people seem to avoid the BC because it's downtown.

Honestly, no one avoids the BC because it's downtown. They avoid the BC because the Bucks have been mostly terrible for 25 years.

They didn't avoid it during the second half of 2009, and they are slowly starting to come back this season with actual hope and changing coming into play.

The people who avoid the BC because it's downtown, avoid huge portions of Milwaukee because it's a medium sized city.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I attend the Brewers all the time. Despite how horrible the parking attendants are, I would 10x rather park at Miller Park than downtown. I could see the last play and be home before the post game radio show had finished the highlights of the game. It's been getting worse because of the parking company but is still better than the mess downtown.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I'm a little surprised that so many people seem to avoid the BC because it's downtown.

Honestly, no one avoids the BC because it's downtown. They avoid the BC because the Bucks have been mostly terrible for 25 years.

They didn't avoid it during the second half of 2009, and they are slowly starting to come back this season with actual hope and changing coming into play.

The people who avoid the BC because it's downtown, avoid huge portions of Milwaukee because it's a medium sized city.

I avoid going to Bucks games mainly because A) never been a huge NBA fan and B) the prices. I use to only go if I got free tickets, but occasionally, over the last 3 or 4 years, I have purchased tickets to games because my teenage son enjoys going. He got good grades this first semester so I decided to reward him with tickets to a few games. I went to purchase online on Stubhub and am just astounded at the prices. Even against a low demand team like the Pacers, if you want to sit in anything but the top half of the upper level, you are looking at $30 per ticket minimum for the first 6 -8 rows of the upper level.. If you want to go see a team like Golden State, you are looking at $50 minimum to sit in the upper deck.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I park on the street for nearly every game of Miller Park, and I know a spot where the walk is about equal to that of parking in the lot north of 94, or the furthest lots east of the stadium. We can walk back to our spot, hop in our car and be on the freeway within 15 minutes of the last out. The only time we pay for parking is Opening Day (unless we meet up with others who are already in the lot), or if we'd like to tailgate.

I'm good for a Bucks game about once every three seasons when free tickets fall into my lap. I don't care much about the NBA. I used to go to my fair share of Admirals games and would park on the street for those too. Parking is available pretty easily if you don't mind walking 3-4 blocks.

I park at the Matc parking lot for events at the bradley Center at 9th and state. Thats a shorter walk then General parking at miller park. Its $10.00 for bucks games and $5.00 for many other lighter attended events such as the Admirals games. I am in and out very quickly.

Archived