Brewer Fanatic

Stephen Drew to NYY

Sheesh, this guy continues to be all hype!

A career OPS of .747 over 4200 PA's for a SS is "all hype"?

He had one bad year - a year in which he didn't have a spring training because he wasn't signed. He had a .777 OPS in 2013. I'd take my chances on him for one year and $5M, especially considering that he hits LH.

If this was the deal, the Brewers should have been in on this too.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If this was the deal, the Brewers should have been in on this too.

Probably, but the main question would be how much money would it have taken to basically convince Drew to be Segura's backup. Imo it's pretty clear that the Brewers are still very much committed to Segura at short. With the Yanks, yes they just acquired Didi Gregorius, but it looks more likely there that Drew will truly be in an open competition for the starting SS role.

Sheesh, this guy continues to be all hype!

A career OPS of .747 over 4200 PA's for a SS is "all hype"?

He had one bad year - a year in which he didn't have a spring training because he wasn't signed. He had a .777 OPS in 2013. I'd take my chances on him for one year and $5M, especially considering that he hits LH.

It's not just one bad year; he was bad in 2012 (granted, coming off a fractured ankle in 2011) in addition to 2014, & even his 2011 wasn't particularly strong. There's a legit overall concern about his durability & potential declining ability at the plate. At this point his career numbers are greatly bolstered by his prime-aged seasons. From age-23 to age-28, his slash line was .270/.330/.442/.773. Since then, his line is .220/.301/.377/.678.

With that said, is he worth a roll of the dice at 1/$5M? No question in my mind. As you allude to, he has pretty nice potential against RHP.

I'm torn on whether or not I'd have liked to have seen the Crew sign Drew -- ultimately I think my answer would have been 'yes.' However, I think the fact that the club seem to be sticking with Segura means it was always a non-starter for Drew, but man... $5M doesn't seem like a lot to gamble when you could see potential upside like the .876 OPS v.RHP he posted in 2013. $5M probably wouldn't have been too painful to eat if he didn't pan out, & it would've consequently given the team the option to 'find' that RH utility IF in Segura if Drew came in & hit well. Seems like a pretty solid idea imho that would've allowed for some nice roster flexibility (I'm also assuming Drew could've covered 3B in a pinch).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, for $5 million, I'd have loved to roll the dice on Drew. You could have used him to keep Aramis healthy and fresh too.

I understand that starting for the Yankees is probably more glamorous, but I think you could have also sold a shot at the post-season is more realistic for the Brewers than the Yankees.

With this and the Bonafacio signing you have to think the Brewers are at the very limit of their payroll.

Or very limited in their desire to make any more changes to the roster. Since they acquired Lind, the only guy I can remember there being any rumors involving the Brewers was Allen Craig.

Well, IMO, the Brewers have a big blindspot as far as backup middle infielder is concerned. Given Gennett's platoon issues, there's potentially 60 starts that I'd rather not just give away. Depth has absolutely been an issue the last few years for the Brewers, along with complacency in addressing problems during the season.

I get that the Brewers probably have relievers on top of their priority list. I'd be more lenient if I thought the team would be proactive during spring training and the season, scouring the waiver wire and trying to make trades. If you're going to try to compete, then try to find every edge you can.

I don't think Bonafacio would have required many changes to the roster. Fewer than Drew but both could have really helped around the edges and as injury insurance which this team desperately needs. Of course they still need a pen.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Well, IMO, the Brewers have a big blindspot as far as starting shortstopbackup middle infielder is concerned.

Segura was not good last year. I get that he's young and has talent, but I think its shortsighted that the Brewers didn't bring in anyone to give him a serious run for his money. He does have options left. This is one area where I have to hand it to the Cardinals. They are not afraid to play their young players and they're not afraid to option them if they're not producing. Wong is a most recent example.

Also, there are 486 games between 2B, SS, and 3B. You have durability/age issues at 3B and platoon issues at 2B. Hell, if you just divide that by four, each guy would get 121 starts if you brought in someone like a Drew or Lowrie. Depth would be greatly improved, another LH bat, etc. etc. But, those ships have now sailed. Certainly a missed opportunity for a team 'going for it' in 2015.

Well, IMO, the Brewers have a big blindspot as far as starting shortstopbackup middle infielder is concerned.

Segura was not good last year. I get that he's young and has talent, but I think its shortsighted that the Brewers didn't bring in anyone to give him a serious run for his money. He does have options left. This is one area where I have to hand it to the Cardinals. They are not afraid to play their young players and they're not afraid to option them if they're not producing. Wong is a most recent example.

Also, there are 486 games between 2B, SS, and 3B. You have durability/age issues at 3B and platoon issues at 2B. Hell, if you just divide that by four, each guy would get 121 starts if you brought in someone like a Drew or Lowrie. Depth would be greatly improved, another LH bat, etc. etc. But, those ships have now sailed. Certainly a missed opportunity for a team 'going for it' in 2015.

Drew was not good last year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/did-stephen-drew-ever-look-like-a-major-league-hitter/

I think Segura is still better than Drew both offensively and defensively. If Segura improves offensively this year he can still potentially be a strong trade chip or answer at third base. They are proceeding correctly with him.

I agree Drew wasn't any good last year. There are reasons to think that missing Spring Training and the time off were culprits in that performance. Or maybe he's done.

Still, the upside there is pretty high. And, even if Segura bounces back and Gennett figures out lefties to an extent, there are probably 70 starts available between 2B, SS, and 3B over the course of the season between expected injuries and just scheduled days off. Aramis isn't getting any younger. And Drew would be a potential trade chit if he bounced back and the Brewers still were out of it.

Obviously, there's risk there to go with the expense. But, if the Brewers are serious about making a run, you at least have to consider where they can upgrade. Especially since there will be a significant amount of starts.

I'm not convinced that the middle reliever that they're targeting that will maybe pitch 40 innings is going to be more valuable than a utility infielder that will get a significant amount of starts.

Archived