Brewer Fanatic

White Sox sign Emilio Bonifacio

superfly
8:08am: The White Sox and utility man Emilio Bonifacio have agreed to a one-year, $4MM contract, reports Jon Morosi of FOX Sports (on Twitter).

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

I'm a little disappointed by this..we really could have used him. Only a 1 year deal makes it even more disappointing, as I thought he was seeking 3 years.

The Brewers could have (should have) done this deal, if not for a mil or so more.

The Brewers are probably about maxed out on payroll, so for them to make a move like this, they'd need to jettison payroll elsewhere. Off the top of my head, if they were looking to save money this offseason (not going into past moves) they could have:

1) Not done the Lind deal

2) Not re-upped Ramirez

3) Not re-upped Parra (or traded him after signing him)

4) Traded an expensive veteran for either prospects or pre-arby guys to save money. The most widely discussed names have been Gallardo, Lohse, Garza and Gomez.

I like the thought of having someone with Bonafacio's flexibility on the roster, but unless you make one of the aforementioned moves, there just doesn't appear to be any payroll room.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

That sound you hear from Brewer front office......crickets.

Do the Brewers really think fans will just erase the last 5 weeks of the season from their memory banks and blindly buy into essentially the same team less several key bullpen pieces that blew an almost sure postseason berth? Wouldn't you think they'd want to at least give the appearance of trying to improve the team?

Ok, I get they added Lind. Forgive me if I don't think Lind puts them over the top. In my mind he might make up for falloffs elsewhere at best.

Really, the last two or three roster spots are worth minus 2 to 4 ...or... plus 2 to 4 wins. To say the Brewers do not have 4 mill to compete is nonsense. I do not know if Bonifacio is a 'half win' guy... a step toward the 2 to 4 PLUS wins side.

But we did manage to sign a catcher for spring training!

The Brewers could have (should have) done this deal, if not for a mil or so more.

The Brewers are probably about maxed out on payroll, so for them to make a move like this, they'd need to jettison payroll elsewhere. Off the top of my head, if they were looking to save money this offseason (not going into past moves) they could have:

1) Not done the Lind deal

2) Not re-upped Ramirez

3) Not re-upped Parra (or traded him after signing him)

4) Traded an expensive veteran for either prospects or pre-arby guys to save money. The most widely discussed names have been Gallardo, Lohse, Garza and Gomez.

I like the thought of having someone with Bonafacio's flexibility on the roster, but unless you make one of the aforementioned moves, there just doesn't appear to be any payroll room.

3million for a utility player of potential like Bonifacio(if not on the field can steal bases in late game situations) should not be concerned in an overall team payroll status. Especially considering that if Milw tanks in 2015 he among others can be jettisoned off around the trade deadline to save a lot on payroll. If Bonifacio's utility skills results in the team making the playoffs, I'm sure the 3mil is more than made up in playoff revenues(as evidence by picking up Broxton for the stretch run) And isn't 3mil below the ML avg for a player? I mentioned my Alcantara love for a super utility who bats from both sides, that is what Bonifacio is. Bonifacio is a better RH bat than LH bat and obviously isn't superior in any form with the bat but also isn't going to be clueless and would have provided the team with at least a Gennett Platoon fix has proposed needed. Bonifacio's LHB vs RH pitching while poor would still be an upgrade to what Segura provided and at least would have given the team a little more competition for Segura at SS with being that.

Now, again Alcantara is better imo than Bonifacio so not acquiring Bonifacio can still give me the hope a smart GM goes out and gets him instead. But Emilio would have been a fairly ideal fit for the team to cover 2b/SS and even rare OF or 3b situations if needed that it's hard to say they possess currently with H. Gomez, Luiz Jimenez, Ellian Herrera or in a 1b/3b situation Jason Rogers. You know your Floor with Emilio and know he can provide game changing ABs in any single game. He had 5 games of 4hits+ 5 games of 3hits. 10 games out of 90 games started he had a huge Batting day. Can any of those 4 provide 10games total this season with 3hit+ ability? Herrera had 2 games last season. No one else had a 3hit game in their brief ML stints.

What do you prefer? 1-4 ability constantly? or 3 for 4 or 4/5 ability once every 10 games started and 5-36 ability the other 9 games?

That could be a curious debate to propose.

As for Bonifacio, I believe it really boils down to what one believes may happen for Milw at 2b/SS or maybe even 3b. Should Gennett have a Platoon partner? Who do you want to give those 40 some games to? And would the real Jean Segura please stand up? Or just sit down? Do you want to give the starting SS job to Gomez/Jimenez or Herrera? Bonifacio offers a safe albeit not too high ceiling option to play if needed. Whereas, the others it could get ugly quick. Or maybe it doesn't matter as both Gennett and Segura will produce better than expected and ARam/Rogers will do fine together at 3b. Bonifacio isn't needed.

I'm in the boat that Gennett will be fine but don't believe Segura or ARam will be fine for a full season and would like a safe Backup option vs. AAAA guys maybe. So Bonifacio would have made a lot of sense to acquire of any type of moves for Milw. Pretty much this leaves the idea that there's no move coming by the FO barring injuries during ST. And that leaves the opinion like JohnBriggs'. How can one believe the team will get over the hump with basically the same roster as last season only possessing more expensive Lind vs Platoon Overbay/Reynolds and more expensive Broxton vs KRod?

And this comes in an offseason where multiple teams have made multiple moves to change their teams, yet Milw wasn't a part of any of them. Who pitches #5 for Milw? Peralta(certainty buy highest Fip of trio), Fiers, or Nelson(best team prospect graduated in 2014)? You must bench 1 of them to fit Gallardo/Lohse/Garza. Seems really poor to me to have a 6th SP worthy of ML Starts with Jungmann in waits to be a 7th? And it's just crickets on the Milw Offseason front. Serious question marks for Utility and the SP situation and neither addressed in trade to this point. Bonifacio was the best option to fill the Utility w/o trade.

How long will fans hang around buying tickets for 2015 if they aren't above .500 come AS Break? This is a team believed to be 80ish wins so that is .500. Fans are going to be wise on this team resembling everything the 2014 possessed only to collapse. How can they pull themselves to a 14games or higher above .500 record if under .500 at that point? 87 or 88Wins is what it takes to make the Playoffs generally now for NL. So 87-75 or 88-74. AS break will be after 90 games. so 45-45 record. You're asking for 42-30 or 43-29 finish.

If the team is 45-45 I'm guessing nobody is flourishing to make one believe a charge is coming. No Khris Davis .850+OPS No Segura .775+OPS. No Braun above .900 OPS again. Peralta isn't better than a 3.45ERA SP stud on the rise. Cause if any of those 4 were to be true, one would believe Milw would be better than .500 at 90games.

Monty you're the money payroll man with opinions on running it. How well will the team finish in attendance if they trudge along as .500 only team w/o the 12+games above .500 record to work with as last season?

The thing with Bonifacio is how much you believe he can play SS plays a big part in the evaluation of his usefulness. If you don't believe he can play SS, you have a platoon 2B-mate, that can be a below average 3B in a pinch, and can pinch run. Since you still have to carry a backup SS in that case, there's certainly an opportunity cost.

If you do believe he can play SS, then I agree, it's a missed opportunity. I'm not convinced that he can fill in for more than a game or two.

The thing with Bonifacio is how much you believe he can play SS plays a big part in the evaluation of his usefulness. If you don't believe he can play SS, you have a platoon 2B-mate, that can be a below average 3B in a pinch, and can pinch run. Since you still have to carry a backup SS in that case, there's certainly an opportunity cost.

If you do believe he can play SS, then I agree, it's a missed opportunity. I'm not convinced that he can fill in for more than a game or two.

He's also an outfielder so his presence would have hopefully removed the likelihood of Logan Schaefer or some other offensive blackhole OF'er being forced on the roster.

We seem to have some strange front office / on field thinking. If you are a youngster, it is darn hard to get a start. Davis was forced onto the field. Scooter was forced onto the field. If you are a quality bench player, you are ignored for the aging vet(s). So we end up with the worst of both worlds - and little future... or I should say little known of the future. Last year surely (in hindsight) the first base platoon should have been a couple of our 'not so good Davis-like and Scooter-like' AAA guys. Maybe we would have discovered that Rogers or Clark are really MLB players. Remember we thought Scooter would have 'value' because he is 'league min'. Well, Scooter was under rated. And Davis was under rated. If Weeks does not get hurt, we are having him back or looking for a 2nd baseman, because Scooter would be considered a 'not much good' AAA guy.

It really does seem our front office is not good at evaluating players even within their own organisation. And if a youngster makes the 25 man... well, if there is the grizzled, 40 year old also on the 25 man, then our on field guy think the youngster will learn by WATCHING the grizzled one battle through with this tweak and that tweak whilst posting a .250 / .300 / .350 slash. How much do the youngsters learn watching that? How much was learned watching Overbay and Reynolds last year? Did Doug and Ron and Mark learn? Maybe they should listen (and learn) a bit to the music they are composing.

I don't think Bonifacio is a SS. I don't think any team wants him playing a bunch of games there. Who is going to be SS in AAA this season... I'm blanking. But if you don't have someone stashed there, you have to have someone on the MLB club. He's not a plus defender anywhere. He's not much of a hitter. I could see him adapting better to the bench role than most though. I doubt he's much better as a pinch runner and base stealer than Gomez or Herrera.

Assuming that the small sample of Gennett's MLB at bats and/or the classic use of selective end points of his later seasons in the minors are predictive and he won't hit LH pitching, what's the difference between Gomez, Herrera or Jimenez numbers and Bonifacios? Even assuming they struggle and EB doesn't, its not going to be much.

I remember that 2011 season with the Marlins and the blistering hot start he had with the Cubs. Still, I don't think it would be a better team with him.

Formerly AKA Pete

I kind of want to dislike the Brewers' not getting Bonifacio, but there's just not enough there to convince he's the depth/difference-maker we needed.

That player may be out there, but I don't have any lead-pipe-cinch inclinations of who it would be without exploring the infinite realm of trade possibilities.

The thing about looking to use Herrera/Gomez/Jimenez is that as hitters: Herrera needs the confines of the hitter friendly PCL to hit over .700 OPS No Power, CS 33% of the time in the minors! Nothing about him reads as anything other than a AAA to maybe AAAA type players. Gomez may have at least a little upside to look at based on his AAA PCL numbers in 2014. But he doesn't walk often at all, he could be a .270/.288 peak hitter. With hoping the power shows up to make up for the lack of OB skills. Not very promising there. and Jimenez/Rogers are 1b/3b options. No SS/2b history between them. Rogers at least offers some value OB%-wise while Jimenez is of the lower under 5% BB variety. Considering the 1b/3b Starters will be Lind/ARam it's not the worst roster spot to be used with either Rogers or Jimenez as a newcomer Minor League Backup.

So really this signing and lack thereof on Milw's side boils down to Emilio or Gomez/Herrera?

Plus he has OF ability. I just think the team could have used this guy vs. attempting two projects under this teams makeup/circumstance. If the team had to rely on the utility for the homestretch for say a 60day DL stint between Gennett or Segura, I'd have preferred to see Bonifacio take the plate vs the other 2. Just because the Floor is known and it's not bottomed out, as the risk could be in Gomez/Herrera.

I'd say Herrera's floor is pretty well known.

If EB is at the plate for a Segura DL stint, he's also taking the field. Personally, I'd like to see Gomez, but I have a hard time imagining RR letting go of Herrera.

Speaking of utility players, the Rangers signed Adam Rosales. I forgot who signed Descalso, but I'm pretty sure he got a 2 year deal at a few million. Ugh.

Formerly AKA Pete

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Bonifacio has played SS for a total of 5 games over the last three years. I think that goes to show what teams think of his ability at the position.

As for the Brewers adding him, he would have been a solid guy to backup 2B, 3B and CF. He hits lefties better than righties, but not huge (.683 OPS vs lefties, .621 OPS vs righties over the last three years).

However, he's likely going to get a lot more playing time with Chicago, who lack a clear 2B. All thing equal, why take a utility position with Milwaukee (or any other club) when you are the front runner for an every day gig on another team.

People want Milwaukee to make some moves - improve the bench, improve the bullpen - but with the budget pushing $110 million, I don't think anything is going to happen unless it's a cheap ($1M or under) addition. Anything major will mean clearing payroll - which means dealing a starting pitcher or Parra. I just don't see that happening. Melvin will see how thing play out in spring training with guys like Rogers, Gomez, Herrera, Schafer and Jimenez. Perhaps they'll make a move toward the end of camp (when marginal players for other teams are often available), but unless someone is seriously injured, I doubt anyone major is brought in - now or in the future.

He's also an outfielder so his presence would have hopefully removed the likelihood of Logan Schaefer or some other offensive blackhole OF'er being forced on the roster.

True, but Parra is clearly a better outfield option than Bonifacio. I'm more worried about having a backup SS option than upgrading 5th outfielder.

Heck, I'd rather spend $8 million on Stephen Drew, who might actually make a difference, than $4 million on Bonifacio.

Are the last three bench guys currently (I guess Rogers, Jimenez, Hector Gomez) simply the best we can do right now - barring a trade. And I guess one would never trade for a backup infielder.

I worry to lose Clark without ever giving him a chance. Would you think to AAA Rogers and go with Clark as a left hand pinch hitter and sometimes play first? But it does seem more and more we should be having Lucroy have more games at first. And I did read here Lucroy had like ONE homerun the last couple of months. So maybe by keeping him fresh (playing first) we actually end up better over the course of the year.

My point is... I guess on the waiver wire or the free agent guys... we are simply NOT going to update our 25 man side - aside from relievers. I really do like Parra for insurance. And it seems we are 'all in' on Jimenez (who is having an awful winter league, whereas Hector is Ruthian)

Bonifacio has played SS for a total of 5 games over the last three years. I think that goes to show what teams think of his ability at the position.

Well, the Cubs do have something like 22 shortstops on their 25-man roster :-)

3million for a utility player of potential like Bonifacio(if not on the field can steal bases in late game situations) should not be concerned in an overall team payroll status.

Is someone else paying him? If not, then he would have to have been counted in the Brewers' payroll.

Especially considering that if Milw tanks in 2015 he among others can be jettisoned off around the trade deadline to save a lot on payroll. If Bonifacio's utility skills results in the team making the playoffs, I'm sure the 3mil is more than made up in playoff revenues(as evidence by picking up Broxton for the stretch run)

I'm sure the Brewer financial staff and Mark Attanasio take these things into consideration when determining the team payroll.

To say the Brewers do not have 4 mill to compete is nonsense.

Everyone has a payroll limit. To think that teams can just spend without regard to the payroll is nonsense. Looking at the projected payroll, I'd say the Brewers are spending over $100MM "to compete."

And isn't 3mil below the ML avg for a player?

Irrelevant. $3MM is $3MM, and if you don't have that room in your budget, you find a cheaper option, even if that player is not as good.

But Emilio would have been a fairly ideal fit for the team to cover 2b/SS and even rare OF or 3b situations if needed that it's hard to say they possess currently with H. Gomez, Luiz Jimenez, Ellian Herrera or in a 1b/3b situation Jason Rogers.

I agree, but it appears that the Brewer brass prefers Parra, Ramirez, and Lind to Bonifacio, and don't want to trade a starting pitcher to free up salary.

Monty you're the money payroll man with opinions on running it. How well will the team finish in attendance if they trudge along as .500 only team w/o the 12+games above .500 record to work with as last season?

In 2012 they started off so bad they ended up trading away Greinke, but they were coming off a playoff run which helped pre-season ticket sales. They ended with 2.8MM fans. In 2013, after the bad taste of 2012 and with another bad start, they had 2.5MM fans. That's just history, no telling what will happen going forward. I think the fans have a worse feeling this year than they did after 2012, but that's funny because both years had a collapse, it's just that in 2012 and 2013 the collapse was at the start of the year, while in 2014 it was at the end of the year. But that's how people think, so it is possible that the Brewers' attendance is somewhere in the low 2MM's, possibly even dipping further in the coming years as other teams in the division pass them by. That (attendance) is probably the only number that can cause Attanasio to address the notion of a rebuild, and by that time it will be a full-scale tear down.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I hope they find a way to keep Clark too. I'd guess that Rogers is destined for Colorado since he's got an option.

Jimenez put up nice hitting numbers in his minors career, but he's one of those take a walk every 20 at bats or so guys. Its just me speculating, but I wonder if part of his off season assignment is to be more selective. He's taking more walks and maybe adjusting to the change? Maybe that's homer optimism.

Formerly AKA Pete

I hope they find a way to keep Clark too. I'd guess that Rogers is destined for Colorado since he's got an option.

Jimenez put up nice hitting numbers in his minors career, but he's one of those take a walk every 20 at bats or so guys. Its just me speculating, but I wonder if part of his off season assignment is to be more selective. He's taking more walks and maybe adjusting to the change? Maybe that's homer optimism.

I think you're right, and I think Jimenez is going to play a big role this year. In addition to being the RH side of the 1B platoon, I don't believe we should count on Ramirez for more than 120 games or so, so I could see Jimenez getting around 400 PAs.

Hopefully Melvin found a gem in Jimenez, as we don't have any answers at 3B when Ramirez leaves and it won't be an easy position to fill via free agency... there just aren't that many good third basemen around these days.

~Bill Walsh

I worry to lose Clark without ever giving him a chance. Would you think to AAA Rogers and go with Clark as a left hand pinch hitter and sometimes play first? But it does seem more and more we should be having Lucroy have more games at first. And I did read here Lucroy had like ONE homerun the last couple of months. So maybe by keeping him fresh (playing first) we actually end up better over the course of the year.

Maybe by giving Lucroy actual days off, and playing an actual first baseman, we'll keep Lucroy fresh.

I just do not get the fascination with finding ways to get Maldonado into the lineup more. He's a fine backup catcher, but if we have worries about our offense, then a fine backup first baseman will give a lot more bang for the buck.

Maybe by giving Lucroy actual days off, and playing an actual first baseman, we'll keep Lucroy fresh.

What a novel idea. Trying to keep him fresh by playing first base is about as useful as giving a starving dog a rubber bone.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

You know, replied to the Pastornicky suggestion and looked some more at Hector Gomez's stats, and maybe Milw could have something with him? I don't know what his deal was in 2012 and 2013 and maybe one could say the finish of 2011? Was it injury after injury? He's 26 turning 27, was someone that cracked Baseball America's top 100 radar in 2008 after his age 19 season only to play 1! game in 2008 for age 20 season. 83games then for age 21 back above .700OPS. and then followed that up in 2010 with 27games played! 2011 he cracked Colorado's ML team briefly only to be traded to Milw at some point in 2012 and appear once again in a low 26! games total. Now I don't know what the Brewers have since his 2013 was below Mendoza line batting but managed over 100games. And 2014 Gomez picked up .300+OPS pts and FINALLY played 100+Games for the first time in B2B seasons in his Professional Career. So maybe he's a guy who's promise never fulfilled, can actually just be a late-bloomer? Keeping him healthy on the field is the toughest part and certainly a concern for reliability.

But, could it be? The Brewers aren't making an Veteran Bonifacio type moves, because they are going to stick with Gomez while healthy to backup Segura giving the young man his chance? I'm actually turning the page and at least feeling semi positive about having him on the 25man. Not confident in Herrera or Jimenez. I guess between Jimenez and Rogers as backup 3b you go with the better defender as both with the bat offer similar looking numbers(Rogers more BBs) Jimenez more doubles hitting ability. Though Rogers has 1b experience over a season. So I don't know if Jimenez will fit along with Herrera. Maybe the backups are set and we don't need anyone. Parra/Gomez/Rogers at the moment.

I can't remember where I heard it and stuff that originates from any org can be positive spin to outright fluff but... my recollection is that Gomez struggled a lot with injuries and is working with the training staff to stay healthy and that they view him as a true shortstop, a big plus... for whatever all that is worth.

You know that Melvin is going to love his "pop."

RR seems to love Herrera though (am I misreading that?) and the two are competing for the same position.

Formerly AKA Pete

I think you're right, and I think Jimenez is going to play a big role this year. In addition to being the RH side of the 1B platoon, I don't believe we should count on Ramirez for more than 120 games or so, so I could see Jimenez getting around 400 PAs.

Hopefully Melvin found a gem in Jimenez, as we don't have any answers at 3B when Ramirez leaves and it won't be an easy position to fill via free agency... there just aren't that many good third basemen around these days.

I'm sure Melvin does think he found a gem in Jimenez...he's a great Brewer prospect.

Contact = B

Though he faced Major League pitching for the first time and was undoubtedly exposed for his free-swinging ways, Jimenez did show the ability to make contact on a relatively consistent basis.

http://monkeywithahalo.com/prospects-countdown/2014-la-angels-prospects-12-luis-jimenez.html

Archived