Brewer Fanatic

Asdrúbal Cabrera to Rays - 1 year, $8 million

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

2B/SS Asdrubal Cabrera is going to Tampa for 1-year, $8 million.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/rays-to-sign-asdrubal-cabrera.html

I thought someone would give the guy three years. Jed Lowrie got 3-years/$23 million. I thought Cabrera would get that, if not more.

This could make Ben Zobrist available for trade since the Rays have Escobar at SS.

I wonder if they'll just keep Zobrist for the last year of his deal. They're a team that loves to platoon so you don't need a 5th OF or extra backup IF.

They'll platoon every position but 3B to their heart's content and have Zobrist able to start at a position that might not have the ideal platoon guy that day. It's inevitable that they'll suffer some injuries as well and he'll be thrust into a more everyday role.

I think an underrated thing that Oakland and TB have done is get positional flexibility/depth. Not just have good starters or platoon guys, but the ability to slide guys around.

Reddick and Moss go down last year? They can still move a plus platoon hitter in Vogt to the outfield.

When the Brewers lose players with their current lack of organizational depth, they are left with an uninspiring platoon or a ST-invite washed-up vet to fill the role.

Archived