Brewer Fanatic

Plumbing question

jerichoholicninja
We bought our house in March. During the inspection the toilet in the master bathroom flushed slowly. Our inspector thought it might be a blocked air vent and suggested we have someone look at it (which we haven't yet). Nothing else in the house drains slow. Our shower in the master bathroom backed up once and we had a plumber take a look at it and it was tree roots in our sewage pipe. He took care of that and no problems since, however, the toilet continues to flush slowly. Sometimes it won't even flush completely. I don't think it's plugged as we've tried plunging it many times and it doesn't make a difference. Any one have a clue what's going on or how to fix it?

Plunging won't take care of everything. After we bought our house many years ago I used a wire coat hanger and found a rose stem lodged in the toilet drain a few inches beyond where I could reach that was catching 'things'. Usually it flushed ok but sometimes didn't, probably when a lot of paper or whatever had caught on the stem. The vent is a possibility but if it flushes normally sometimes probably not. I would think the vent would either always be plugged or not. You could try snaking it though you have to be careful not to damage the toilet. Last thing would be to turn the water off, flush, sop up the remaining water in the tank, take it off, take the bowl off and check the trap. Put in a new wax ring and put the toilet back on. I'm sure there are plenty of videos on the internet on how to do that.

We have Milwaukee water and its hard. Just like supercollector describes, the jets that are what causes the flushing action slowly get clogged. You can tell if your water is hard by the white residue that builds up anywhere water sits like inside a coffee maker.

There isn't a vent dedicated to the toilet. So if you turn your bathroom sink on full and let in run, it would drain slowly if there was a vent problem, well unless something bizarre had happened and the short stretch between the toilet and the connection was clogged. It still isn't likely to be a vent problem, but that's one way to pretty much rule it out.

It sounds like a partial obstruction. Do you have kids? Then there is a chance there's a toy or something plastic jammed somewhere. It could actually be in the toilet, but most likely you'll end up doing what whizkid describes. Its not hard, but working on plumbing is low on my list. I know if I do what whizkid describes, the old toilet isn't going back in. There are ones that are amazingly cheap and different ones that aren't too bad.

Is this an old toilet?

Formerly AKA Pete

My experience with Milwaukee water from Lake Michigan is it's on the medium side for hardness. A softener isn't needed for Milwaukee water. I doubt it's lime buildup. Water from wells, private and municipal, is truly hard.

I didn't try snaking tonight but I got so frustrated watching the water slowly go down and stop that I took a plunger and went to town on it. I heard a noise like something letting go and water started running but all that happened was some gross brown stuff came back up. I'm thinking that means there is some sort of partial clog in there and hopefully I can get it out.

Also, those hand wipes aka baby wipes are not designed to go through the toilet even if the package says so.

I know from experience that tampons also should not be flushed, even though the packaging says it can be. Women always get mad when you bring that fact up, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Well, I wouldn't call taking a toilet off, major plumbing. I guess its all relative. Don't get me wrong, I avoid plumbing repairs as its the one area of house stuff that I have the least experience and never seem to have the right tool. And there's also the dilemma if the solution is more complicated or difficult, then you have to call a plumber and the bill is crazy instead of just huge. We're lucky here as we have friends, one a plumber and one an electrician. If anyone knows a good HVAC person in the SE Wisconsin area, I'd love to get a recommendation. Horror stories too long to tell...

But your partial success is a good thing. I'd guess hair. I've had success with a little hand snake.

Hey, that reminds me. I don't think I'd use it on a toilet, but an absolutely great product are those flexible plastic strips with backwards facing teeth to stick down drains. Use that on your bathroom sink and tub before they slow down. Cost is 2 or 3 dollars. Trust me on this one.

Formerly AKA Pete

My guess would also be a partial block which would require removing the toilet. Again this is not very difficult and only costs you a new wax ring (less than $2 at any hardware store). I also agree with Pete about everyone investing in a plastic drain auger to remove hair from your bath sink and shower drains. The first time you use it will be the worst but then if you use it every few weeks it isn't so bad. I make my wife and two daughters clean it now since I have very little hair left to lose.

Archived