Brewer Fanatic

Claimed from Cubs -- OF/1B Shane Peterson Now On 40-man Roster

Mass Haas

MiLB.com Player Page

LH bat turns 27 in February, also with experience at 1B, but at 6'0", 210, and with OF experience in all three spots, Brewers listed OF as his position when announcing the claim

Baseball Reference Page (Minors) - Also has two games of big league time with A's in 2013

July 24, 2009: Traded by the St. Louis Cardinals with Clayton Mortensen and Brett Wallace to the Oakland Athletics for Matt Holliday.

Extensive set of game highlights via MiLB.com

40-man roster is now full

Drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 2nd round of the 2008 MLB June Amateur Draft from California State University Long Beach (Long Beach, CA).

Rotoworld history

@AdamMcCalvy · 18m 18 minutes ago

#Brewers claim OF Shane Peterson off waivers from the Cubs. With his addition, the 40-man roster is at capacity.

Seems like a decent depth claim. Was part of the Oakland system, and looks like the Cubs claimed him on Dec 19th. Not sure why they're releasing him already.

Good article from May 2013 about Peterson below...guy says he's seen him play 1B. He's a lefty though so guess he wouldn't be platooning with Lind.

EDIT - Link to article where video (vs. Brewers Nashville club) is included --worth your read. -- Mass Haas

Text from a recent post via Bleed Cubbie Blue --

"He has just seven major-league at-bats, all in 2013, playing a pair of games at first base for Oakland. Last season at Triple-A Sacramento, he hit .308/.381/.460 with 40 doubles and 11 home runs. His lifetime minor-league OBP is .376, so that's obviously appealing to this front office."

Ok so now they have Parra, Schafer, Peterson, Clark, Lind, and Morris on the 40 man. Peterson can play 1B. Clark has played some OF.

That's a lot of roster space devoted to lefthanded OF/1B. Wasn't the need greater for a RH OF/1B coming off the bench?

they had no triple A outfielders, thats all this is.

Remember that Doug always over reacts and over compensates to a past shortfall.

So true. But where are these guys going to play?

Hopefully he's got some decent offers for Parra and this was to get a viable and cheap replacement for him to compete with the others he still has. But you may be right. Either that or he' planning on platooning all 3 OF spots.

You can never have enough lefty 1B/OF guys. He's not expected to be a MLB guy anyways but as your 2nd or 3rd call in AAA he seems serviceable.

Doug may over-compensate here or one could also say he was behind the curve on the platoon game the last few years. You can find RH guys anywhere. I'm assuming Luc/Jimenez fill the RH side of the 1B platoon or they find some other cheap option, but they are fine with righties.

I think some of the stuff people read as over compensating is just providing an excuse to do what he wants. The defense on 1st was bad, so we'll go with some old guys at 1st and shore that up. The offense at 1st was bad so we'll juice that up with a different old guy. Maybe my bias is feeding my imagination though.

If Peterson can turn into something, its a triple win though: took him for nothing from the Flubs, is a former 2nd round pick of the Cards and part of a failed trade by look at the big brain on Brad Billy Beane.

Formerly AKA Pete

These end-of-the-roster guys could be lightning in a bottle as easily as they could be waived again next week. I definitely like the idea of this guy, at least in terms of his AAA track record (esp 2014).

I do find it funny how we're so trained through years of Brady Clarks, Scott Podsedniks, & Derrick Turnblows to start out looking at every waiver claim Doug Melvin makes as potentially the next one in that succession, whereas so many clubs -- especially this winter -- are waiving or releasing guys just a week or two after claiming them. (I keep thinking of Adam Rosales' stint a couple years ago going from Oakland to Texas to Oakland to Texas pretty much solely via waiver claims!)

Ok so now they have Parra, Schafer, Peterson, Clark, Lind, and Morris on the 40 man. Peterson can play 1B. Clark has played some OF.

That's a lot of roster space devoted to lefthanded OF/1B. Wasn't the need greater for a RH OF/1B coming off the bench?

they had no triple A outfielders, thats all this is.

Still makes no sense to carry them all on the 40 man and if Clark, Peterson, and Schafer all get optioned, then they'll have at least 4 lefty hitting OF down there and only one RH hitting OF, Ben Guez.

Don't get it. PCL numbers. 12HRs career high in a year for him. Isn't this essentially the argument against bringing back Nori Aoki? No Power? Bunch of Walks. Doubt his range in the OF is anything Stellar. Just gotta be a temporary move to look at to fill AAA and be a backup. Maybe he's a Bench bat? I wonder if he'll make it all the way to Spring Training before being Traded...Maybe just a move to make all of us think Melvin is working on making a move this offseason and not asleep with Phone on Silent.

There sure seems to be a lot of junk on the Brewers 40 man. I guess they can afford to do it when they have so few prospects they need to add to the 40 man. Also like to add I hope the Jimenez platoon experiment ends before it ever begins.

Don't get it. PCL numbers. 12HRs career high in a year for him. Isn't this essentially the argument against bringing back Nori Aoki? No Power? Bunch of Walks. Doubt his range in the OF is anything Stellar. Just gotta be a temporary move to look at to fill AAA and be a backup. Maybe he's a Bench bat? I wonder if he'll make it all the way to Spring Training before being Traded...Maybe just a move to make all of us think Melvin is working on making a move this offseason and not asleep with Phone on Silent.

Imo this looks pretty clearly to be purely a AAA depth move. He's a not-terrible OF bat that was available for 'free'.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I really don't understand why so many people are upset about this signing. He was just signed to fill a spot in AAA. Jeremy Hermida went to Japan, Kentrail Davis was picked in the Rule 5 draft, and Caleb Gindl left via free agency. Who else is gonna play outfield this year in AAA. I would take this guy over any of the three I mentioned anways.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived