Brewer Fanatic

Ichiro?

MNBrew

Spinning off thought behind the Aoki thread, I wonder if Ichiro Suzuki could be a decent bench option. He'd be a cheaper version of Aoki that would still allow us to trade Parra.

I think I know all the reasons this isn't a good idea. Age and all that comes with it represent the main downsides of it. But he's a hugely smart bat who could still start nearly everyday in either corner OF spot if need be, and he'd have to be appreciably cheaper than Parra's pricetag. Like Parra, there wouldn't be a long-term commitment concern, or at minimum not one with a potentially escalating cost. . . . With one of the main needs being strengthening the bench, Ichiro's probably a cheaper option than Aoki and also probably has less competition for his services.

Then a Herrera or whomever could be the other backup OF since Ichiro bring a similar (but obviously far better version) skill set to Schafer's. The only potential ? would be the primary backup CF.

He's just about a useless player now. No speed, low OBP, no power, defense is gone too. As a baseball fan I really want to see him play in MLB for a few more years to get to 3000 hits but not for Milwaukee. He's probably looking for more than Parra will be making and more playing time than Milwaukee can offer.

Archived