Brewer Fanatic

Walt Disney World

BrewersSuperCollector

There are lots of blogs/resources on-line with tips to make your visit as awesome as possible, including tips for traveling with kids. Off-hand, I can't think of specific sites, but I know they're out there. We went last year (no children, though)--my sister and mom did all of the planning for us.

I've been to Disney 8 times, various parks, and 5 of those times with children. It would be too exhaustive to even touch the surface with tips and tricks here in this forum. As hammy said, there are TONS of blogs and forums out there dedicated to your exact question (First Time at Disney with family). If you have any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them here or on PM.

Not sure if you guys plan on doing a lot of rides, but there is an everchanging fast pass program that is used there that is pretty much a "must" if you want to at least try to avoid some lines. It use to be much easier to use and was unlimited (although you could only hold one fast pass at a time). Last time we were there was early March of this year and they had made the fast pass program much more restrictive. You had to get to the parks earlier and choose from a fast past "package" and hope the times were convienent for you. However, I think they were going to change it to make it possible to go online ahead of time and get a fast pass. I would advise looking into this.

Also, not sure the how adventurous your family is when it comes to rides. I like roller coasters, but my son and wife don't like them at all. Two rides that we all enjoy are at Epcot, Test Track and Soaring. Test track has some high speeds but no drops and Soaring is probably our favorite (it's a simulation ride). The lines for both these rides can get quite long.

Not sure if you plan on staying on the Disney property or not. We never did. You can find some really good deals on vacation rentals on sites like VRBO and trip advisor. When we went in March we stayed in a 3 bedroom house with a private pool, ping pong table, foosball table, golden tee, and a Wii entertainment system. After fees and taxes we paid about $130 a night.

In the past when we have gone we usually went in early November and the crowds were never that bad. When we went in March this year, the crowds were much much worse. As others have stated, there are sites that will give you good ideas of the more crowded times of year.

Lastly, I would highly suggest downloading the Disney app that gives you, among other things, current wait times for lines at various rides. You can also make reservations at Disney restaurants using this app.

6 and 8 are really good ages to take kids to Disney. They will have fun. Just remember to take a lot of breaks and not try to fit too much into one day. Otherwise it can get a bit exhausting and overwhelming.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

disboards.com is an excellent resource

I have been to WDW many times, could literally write a book. First, as far as what package to get- that depends on what promotions they have going on at any given time. Depends on how many days you plan to stay, etc. Personally, we always take Parkhopper as part of our "package." Doesn't cost much, and makes it possible to attend two parks the same day.

As others said, I could go on forever so I will mention only a few items I think are important to know.

1) Learn about Fast-Pass and take full advantage of it.

2) Key is (especially Magic Kingdom) to be there when the crowds are the lightest. Depends on your family, of course, but if there's any way they can stay up late (even one night for Magic Kingdom) it will be worth it. You can use "Extra Magic Hours" to get in early and stay late. This is the perfect time for kids that age to enjoy all the rides that are age-appropriate for them without waiting forever. AVOID Fantasyland or pretty much Magic Kingdom in general during mid-afternoon. Prime meltdown time. Go back to your hotel and take a nap- yes YOU too.

3) My opinion only, but I would try to steer them away from the character autograph lines. If they get into it, you will find yourself in these autograph lines literally half the day, then they'll be upset if you tell them they have enough. A true lose-lose. You would be better off going to a character breakfast or something.

4) Resign yourself to the fact there's no way you'll see and do everything. I have my own opinions of what your kids would love, but of course every family is different.

Depending on when you're going, these four things can turn from important to critical in a hurry.

I've been there a gajillion times but I don't have kids. Anything you want to know, just ask. I do recommend you stay at a Disney resort because the free transportation is so convenient as is the free Magic Express pickup from the airport. The All-Star Resorts are completely fine if you really don't plan on staying in your rooms much. The kids will love them. If you want something a bit fancier I hear that the Animal Kingdom Lodge is the best bang for the buck. I also recommend getting the dining plans. They usually offer free dining if you visit during Sep-Nov. Get this and make sure to make your dinner reservations as soon as you can. I think it's either 180 or 90 days before your visit. Restaurants at the parks are convenient because you don't need to waste much time getting to dinner. The restaurants in the World Showcase typically have the best quality food of all the parks. Try to get out of the parks by the time the fireworks shows start otherwise you'll be waiting in line for a long time waiting for your bus back to the hotel. Utilize you fastpass and fastpass express. There's also a handy app that helps with this. Must-fastpass rides immediately or you'll never get on are probably the new Snow White ride at MK, Toy-Story Mania at HS, Soarin at Epcot. Do the Safari Tours at AK right away in the morning if you want to see the animals at their most active. Half of Hollywood Studios is being torn down for new attractions. You'll be able to get this park done in half a day for sure. Do Toy Story, Tower of Terror, & Aerosmith and you're done.

That's all I gots for now.

As for Universal, not real convenient if you're staying at a WDW property with no transportation. But yea, the times we stayed off-site we drove over to Universal CityWalk (which is free.) Various restaurants, shops over there. Only went to the actual Universal theme park once, although I am intrigued by the new Simpsons themed Springfield area.

Ditto what Tea said about Studios. You won't need to spend much time there. They do have a Beauty & the Beast show if your girls like that movie. And their night time show (Fantasmic) is really cool, they will love that- just get there early enough for a good seat. (like anything else at Disney.)

Epcot and Animal Kingdom are different for everyone. Some people love one or both and can spend a whole day/night or more. Others don't, you'll just have to see how interested your kids are.

Archived