Brewer Fanatic

Corey Hart - back in NL central (MLB deal with Bucs)

patrickgpe

they went from Davis/Sanchez to Alvarez/Hart at 1B. the potential upgrade offensively from that position is huge, but it could also be an Overbay/Reynolds type production

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Part of me wishes that the Brewers would have taken a flier on him; it is only $2.5 Million. He was pretty bad last year; but perhaps another year removed from the injury his performance will increase. I don't think it would have been a bad gamble at $2.5 Million. He is strictly a 1B, PH, and DH at this point though. Maybe an emergency OF.

Part of me wishes that the Brewers would have taken a flier on him; it is only $2.5 Million. He was pretty bad last year; but perhaps another year removed from the injury his performance will increase. I don't think it would have been a bad gamble at $2.5 Million. He is strictly a 1B, PH, and DH at this point though. Maybe an emergency OF.

I was of course a fan of Hart. But to paraphrase Pitino, 2012 Hart isn't coming through the door.

I'd rather have Reynolds than Hart at this point though I can't say either is a difference maker.

I thought he would have to sign a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training type deal. I get the money isn't big. I would have paid that if he showed he belonged in spring and made the roster. I don't think I'd give him a guaranteed contract at this stage though.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If people just looked at Hart's numbers and not the fact that he played in Milwaukee earlier in his career would they still want him?

Personally, I want the team to use the younger players they already have. But to answer your question, there are always more ways to spin stats. "HR power" has a hypnotic effect on GMs as well as fans and media. Its easy to dream about higher numbers than lately because of his knees - lost season plus typical down year after an injury.

I'm kind of with Jerichoxyz... but I see a couple dingers.

Formerly AKA Pete

Corey will have a super unspectacular 2015 season that will end with him being DFA'd in July but not before he gets a couple of game winning hits against the Brewers.

And if those game winning hits are at Miller Park, it's likely to be a game I attend, because baseball breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Corey will have a super unspectacular 2015 season that will end with him being DFA'd in July but not before he gets a couple of game winning hits against the Brewers.

And if those game winning hits are at Miller Park, it's likely to be a game I attend, because Brewers baseball breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart.

Fixed.

Hindsight is 20/20 but Doug Melvin and crew completely misjudged the Corey Hart vs Nelson Cruz comparison. Mistakes like that can cripple a small market franchise.

It's not that big of a difference, really. From '07-'12, Hart posted an .830 OPS. From '09-'14, Cruz posted an .845 OPS. Obviously Cruz is still going, but he also was busted for using PEDs.

Certainly not franchise-crippling.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Thought this tweet was interesting --

Corey Hart, while with #Brewers, vs. LHP - away from Miller Park -.784 OPS. He hit just 14 HR in 503 PA.

Gaby Sanchez w/ #Pirates .846 v LHP

And yes, kudos to Hart's agent! A major league spot for an NL team?

The Pirates couldn't do what the Brewers did with Mark Reynolds and offer a "wink-wink" minor league deal?

Hindsight is 20/20 but Doug Melvin and crew completely misjudged the Corey Hart vs Nelson Cruz comparison. Mistakes like that can cripple a small market franchise.

He misjudged it by trading Cruz for a bunch of crap, not Hart vs Cruz.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He misjudged it by trading Cruz for a bunch of crap, not Hart vs Cruz.

I believe every GM in baseball misjudged Cruz, since he was available for free on waivers prior to the 2008 season. No on claimed him so the Rangers sent him back to AAA.

Archived