Brewer Fanatic

Justin Upton to the Padres

LouisEly

So do they have a farm system left at all? Getting Myers, Kemp, and Upton in the span of 2 days is nuts. However all 3 have pretty big question marks. This roster makeover has the potential to fail on a massive level.

I don't think Kemp is capable of covering that massive CF in San Diego; they would be wise to get him to a corner OF spot and move Myers to 1st. Maybin in CF.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Some OF is going to be traded or moved to 1B, that is the only thing that makes sense at this point. They also don't have a real CF either. Is there anything they have that is worth trading Gomez for? Seth Smith and Yonder Alonzo maybe? Is Austin Hedges too much to ask for for Gomez?

Somehow I doubt after trading for 3 OF, and having like 17 other OF on their roster right now, that trading for yet another OF is high on their radar at the moment.

Seth Smith would be a very good add for us, left handed bench depth and can play both RF and LF. Little on the expensive side though in future years @ Gerardo Parra money, and he was just assured when he signed his extension he wouldn't be moved.

SD could use a little pitching depth though & needs a 3B starter... Lohse/Aramis for (??) This GM will fall for anything that calls his phone line clearly.

EDIT - well cancel that I guess...that dolt already made another trade I see...for Middlebrooks. LOL

Some OF is going to be traded or moved to 1B, that is the only thing that makes sense at this point. They also don't have a real CF either. Is there anything they have that is worth trading Gomez for? Seth Smith and Yonder Alonzo maybe? Is Austin Hedges too much to ask for for Gomez?

Somehow I doubt after trading for 3 OF, and having like 17 other OF on their roster right now, that trading for yet another OF is high on their radar at the moment.

Right now, Gomez is better than every OF on their roster sans Upton. They signed David Ross today too which means they've traded or signed about 12 catchers so far this offseason. I don't think having a surplus at a position is a problem for Preller as long as the player is talented. He's been crazy so far, what's to stop him from getting another OF'er. Even with Middlebrooks their infield is still pretty terrible, trade Ramirez and Gomez?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Braves get left-hander Max Fried (a #1 draft pick - 7th overall - and top 100 prospect at A ball last year but is coming off Tommy John surgery), second baseman/shortstop Jace Peterson (supplemental #1 pick in 2011, hits for good average, takes walks, should be ready for majors this year), third baseman Dustin Peterson (2nd round pick in 2013 - at A ball last year) and outfielder Mallex Smith (speed guy played at A ball last year - stole 88 bases).

So Braves get three guys who are a couple of years away (at least), and one guy, an infielder, who could make the club this season. Friend is highly thought of (the TJ surgery is not great, but it's not the end of the world), and Jace Peterson looks like he could be a solid contributor. Mallex Smith is intriguing due to the speed. He has a .290 BA so far in the minors, so if he can get on base, he might be someone who contributes down the road. It seems like a pretty good haul for one year of Upton.

Right now, Gomez is better than every OF on their roster sans Upton. They signed David Ross today too which means they've traded or signed about 12 catchers so far this offseason. I don't think having a surplus at a position is a problem for Preller as long as the player is talented. He's been crazy so far, what's to stop him from getting another OF'er. Even with Middlebrooks their infield is still pretty terrible, trade Ramirez and Gomez?

Heck, why not try and get Myers for Gomez? As long as we're playing fantasy trading in San Diego maybe he's owned Myers long enough it's time to trade him too.

That part that floors me is that SD traded all of that for one year of Upton. It's not liked they have him locked up for the next five seasons. Are they really expecting to win that division this year and beat out the Giants and Dodgers?

Seth Smith would be a very good add for us, left handed bench depth and can play both RF and LF. Little on the expensive side though in future years @ Gerardo Parra money, and he was just assured when he signed his extension he wouldn't be moved.

SD could use a little pitching depth though & needs a 3B starter... Lohse/Aramis for (??) This GM will fall for anything that calls his phone line clearly.

EDIT - well cancel that I guess...that dolt already made another trade I see...for Middlebrooks. LOL

Trade Parra for a BP guy, trade for Seth Smith and have him as your 4th OF. Sounds good too me.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

That part that floors me is that SD traded all of that for one year of Upton. It's not liked they have him locked up for the next five seasons. Are they really expecting to win that division this year and beat out the Giants and Dodgers?

Maybe they're not done yet? Scherzer still out there and possibly more trades. Who knows?

Their GM is being pro active, which I love.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Just out of curiousity, who owns the Padres? Would they be in a position to sell the team or have there been any rumors of that?

These are the kind of trades/moves that happen when an organization's trying to inflate their value before a sale...similar to what Hendry did with the Cubs as the Trib was trying to sell the team.

Heck, why not try and get Myers for Gomez? As long as we're playing fantasy trading in San Diego maybe he's owned Myers long enough it's time to trade him too.

Myers hit .222/.294/.320/.614 last season. No thanks...

Myers hit .222/.294/.320/.614 last season. No thanks...

In his defense, he played the same number of games in 2013 and slashed .293/.354/.478/.832. He had a wrist injury this season that really gave him trouble, with an offseason to rest i'd think his numbers would get better. I would hope we'd get more than him though in the hypothetical joking trade scenario.

Just out of curiousity, who owns the Padres? Would they be in a position to sell the team or have there been any rumors of that?

These are the kind of trades/moves that happen when an organization's trying to inflate their value before a sale...similar to what Hendry did with the Cubs as the Trib was trying to sell the team.

They just got new ownership approved at the end of May. They're not going to sell a year in.

I don't know what to think about the Padres moves. They gave up Max Fried which I thought wouldn't happen. But look at these pitchers they've given up, how many of them had TJ last year? Or recovered from one the previous year? Considering where the prospects were 3 in A ball I believe this is a sound deal for San Diego. Upton will net them a 1st rd comp pick next season if not extended. So 3 becomes 2. at 1.5years delay. Now, try to sort out their lineup? Kemp/Upton/Myers? 2/3/4? Gyorko 5? Alonso 6? The rest, Im not even sure who's playing SS? Can't sleep on Gyorko and Alonso/ former top 100...maybe top 50 prospects hailed for their bats, maybe they'll take steps forward no longer being Thee Guys to produce.

Anyway Quite a bunch of powerhouse teams being built by LA/SD/Miami at least in ML talent, going to cost them in Minors talent down the road.

How about Atlanta in this? Max Fried/Joe Ross/Trea Turner and others? They've been drafting power Arms lately to begin with, one can just look down the road and see a team with an Ace and 3-5#2/3 types on that staff. JUst gotta avoid the ol TJs that robbed them of Beachey/Medlen this season. With this group.

Joe Ross/Trea Turner and others? They've been drafting power Arms lately to begin with, one can just look down the road and see a team with an Ace and 3-5#2/3 types on that staff. JUst gotta avoid the ol TJs that robbed them of Beachey/Medlen this season. With this group.

Joe Ross & Trea Turner were traded to the Nationals for Steven Souza and Travis Ott

They're adding all sorts of big pieces with question marks, yeah. Myers, Kemp and Upton could be great, or it could be a colossal failure. That's the ultimate in high risk, high reward. I think Wil Myers is going to be a very good player for a long time. But playing at Petco could just kill his power numbers.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Joe Ross/Trea Turner and others? They've been drafting power Arms lately to begin with, one can just look down the road and see a team with an Ace and 3-5#2/3 types on that staff. JUst gotta avoid the ol TJs that robbed them of Beachey/Medlen this season. With this group.

Joe Ross & Trea Turner were traded to the Nationals for Steven Souza and Travis Ott

Except Joe Ross and Trea Turner are on the Padres and the Padres didn't get Steven Souza and Travis Ott...The Rays did so the Padres dealt the Rays Joe Ross and Trea Turner in order for the Rays to deal them and receive Steven Souza and Travis Ott.

Archived