C Rene Rivera (from SD)

P Burch Smith (from SD)

IB Jake Bauers (from SD)

OF Steven Souza (from Washington)

P Travis Ott (from Washington)

Washington gets:

P Joe Ross (from SD)

SS Trea Turner (from SD as a PTBNL)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/padres-rays-nationals-agree-to-three-team-trade.html

Myers is, obviously, the big fish in the trade. But SS Trea Turner (1st round pick last year out of NC State) is a good looking, polished prospect. He hit .323 in A ball in his first year. Souza is an intriguing player as well. Now 25, he was a decent prospect but reportedly had some character issues that kept him from developing. He seems to have overcome those problems and got his career on track, garnering the International League's MVP award last year when he hit .350.

The acquisition of Turner may be Washington hedging their bets on losing SS Ian Desmond after next season.

And Gomez is still in Mil while Walker and Paxton are in Sea. Dangit.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I know Myers injured his wrist last year and that can be a scary injury for a hitter but that's the best Tampa could do? He was one of the top prospects in the game and ROY two years ago.

San Diego didn't even have to give up any of their top 4 prospects for him and the top prospects they did give up are going to Washington.

Man, the Rays moves this offseason show how good Friedman was.

trwi,

I agree. Tampa's deal would appear to be Myers, Geraldo Reyes, Jose Castillo, and Ryan Hanigan for Joe Ross, Gene Rivera, Burch Smith, Jake Bauers and PTBNL in Trea Turner.

Who they then flipped Joe Ross(the headliner in the Myers trade) and Trea Turner, for Steve Souza and Travis Ott?

I wouldn't be big deal on the trade if TB sent Smith instead of Joe Ross for Souza and Trea Turner. Smith by all acounts I believe is a #4/5 SP in a rotation or Bullpen piece, where Ross would at least be a #3 SP. It appears to me the team is making moves for the future while saving payroll. And must be really high on Jake Bauers and Travis Ott down the line. You figure in keeping payroll low Smith a non-factor projection, Rivera a 31year old Catcher are cheap cost controlled players for the next 4seasons likely not costing 1.5mil+ in any of them.

Souza replaces Myers and you can assume being the prize in the trade now for TB gets to begin his career either replacing him, or Desmond Jennings in the not to distant future. I know nothing on Bauers/Ott but, again, if Souza is the best you can do for Ross/Turner/Myers all three combined then they must spark some super growing potential to Tampa.

Love Wash's side of the deal. Joe Ross and Trea Turner for an OF that essentially would have been Joc Pederson on LA the next 2 seasons? Everyone clamoring for him to be given more Starts? Joe Ross reads like Wily Peralta-Mid 90s FB with a Slider to compliment it with. If Ross lives up to that hype alone they win this trade hands down.

For SD, They get Myers, which seems like a great move to improve their offense. But the guy will have such lofty expectations now, I don't see a way for them to win this trade. He's moving to a Pitcher's ballpark/pitchers Division. I'll assume his expectations would be something like .285/.355/.475 just to live up to the hype. Anything less and he's going to be looked upon as a failure for a prospect. I just don't see with Petco-LA Dodgers Pitching-Giants pitching, Coors being able to boost his stats enough.

Somehow SD gets 2 more very young raw Pitchers in Castillo and Reyes as throwins? As players for maybe Trea Turner?

I know Souza is supposed to have much higher upside, but in terms of current value does this mean we could have gotten Trea Turner for something like Khris Davis and a pitching prospect? Yikes, nice trade for Washington it seems.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have to agree with sentiments on this board (and around the interwebs) that the Nationals came out great on this. Souza is an interesting prospect who can help now, but turner looks like a prime player at a critical position. Odd that Tampa just didn't take on Turner. I guess they really like Souza.

How can Turner be traded? He was just drafted last year.

He's actually a 'player to be named later'.

So does he stay in camp with SD and play part of the year in their system? Awkward.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/washington-nationals-trea-turner-draftee-san-diego-padres-ken-rosenthal-121914

Turner will have to stay with the Padres until midseason. His agent is not happy about it.

I don't think you can change the PTBNL when the trade has already been completed. Yes Turner has been announced as the PTBNL. Yes it's official. No it can't change. Yes he should be allowed to go to Washington right away but MLB is stupid with their antiquated rules.

I don't think you can change the PTBNL when the trade has already been completed. Yes Turner has been announced as the PTBNL. Yes it's official. No it can't change. Yes he should be allowed to go to Washington right away but MLB is stupid with their antiquated rules.

The link I posted says that the Nats have a list of players to chose from in case Turner gets hurt between now and when he can be traded. I don't think anything is set in stone yet.

Archived