Brewer Fanatic

Brian Wilson

new general manager Farhan Zaidi said on a Tuesday conference call. "We don't want to be sort of tied down by financial obligations — we're just trying to build the best team we can for 2015

[sarcasm]Makes sense. "Let's not pay him $10M to play for us, let's instead pay him $10 not to play for us before we've even seen him throw a pitch in 2015."

Boom! Financial flexibility![/sarcasm]

I'd take him too for league minimum. He still struck out more than a hitter an inning last year and while he's had injury history, he's not ancient. Don't know if I could handle looking at that beard 60 times though.

Another veteran FA out there is Grilli. He'll cost more than minimum, but he posted decent numbers for the Angels and is just a year removed from being an All Star. Besides he wouldn't have to face Braun.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd take him too for league minimum. He still struck out more than a hitter an inning last year and while he's had injury history, he's not ancient.

I honestly haven't seen much of Wilson for a few years, but he was coming off TJ surgery in 2012, and missed most of 2013 because of it. His poor 2014 (and he was pretty bad) may simply getting his body and head back into the game. But as Briggs pointed out, he showed he still can bring the heat. The key is better control.

With our unsettled bullpen, it might be an interesting, low-cost move to bring on Wilson. The Dodgers are paying his salary, so you're only paying him 500k. The club can bring him to camp and tell him he can battle things out, best man wins the closer job. I can't imagine many (if any) teams would want him as a closer, so a chance like Milwaukee might be a perfect opportunity.

Worst case scenario Wilson sucks, in which case you cut him. Unless the team simply doesn't like the guy for some reason, it's not a bad move. Of course, a lot of other teams will probably say the same thing, so I imagine there will be competition for him. That's why an open closer position might entice him.

Wilson is getting paid $10M by the Dodgers to not play for them. In most cases like this the player signs for the minimum, although in almost all of these cases it's also mid-season. Wilson at league minimum I'd take.

I'm thinking some team will cut a deal with the Dodgers before he is just free to sign with anyone. Why not throw a token minor leaguer at the Dodgers and have them throw in $8M-$8.5M of his salary. You get spin the Wilson roulette wheel at a gamble at $2M and the Dodgers get to save money over and above just cutting him loose.

Wilson is getting paid $10M by the Dodgers to not play for them. In most cases like this the player signs for the minimum, although in almost all of these cases it's also mid-season. Wilson at league minimum I'd take.

I'm thinking some team will cut a deal with the Dodgers before he is just free to sign with anyone. Why not throw a token minor leaguer at the Dodgers and have them throw in $8M-$8.5M of his salary. You get spin the Wilson roulette wheel at a gamble at $2M and the Dodgers get to save money over and above just cutting him loose.

Good point. He wasn't released, he was DFA'd so he's not a free agent yet.

He is an odd guy, and probably an issue in the locker room judging by his quirkiness.

I would have a hard time seeing that stupid beard in a Brewers uniform.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived