Brewer Fanatic

Tyrone Taylor article

markedman5

It'll be interesting to see how Taylor develops. I'm somewhat concerned that he'll end up being just a Logan Schaeffer type/4th OF/AAAA player. He doesn't really walk enough to excite as a lead-off man. The SB% isn't incredible and as he fills out his speed on the bases may diminish even more. Doubles power is good, but he doesn't seem to have enough HR power to be a starting corner OF. So he really only projects as a CF. It'll be very intriguing to see how he does in AA ball
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I hope Bernie writes more even handed articles like that... give us both the good and the bad!

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

My impression the last couple of years is that he tends to fall off at the end of the year like a lot of younger players. Maybe due to not eating right or something. Anyway at Wisconsin splits: 1st half .435 2nd half .366 in slg pct. at Brevard: .410/382 so there is some truth in that. His June Wisconsin year at .646 was his best. Can he duplicate that again? At Brevard his best month was in April at .470.

He has superior fielding and running skills. Hopefully, he can improve power wise and I think he will.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I actually felt the article was a little biased in favor of Taylor. Maybe I was reading too much into it...

Currently playing center field at the age of 20, he may grow beyond his current frame and actually fit just as well as a game-changing corner outfielder.

So I read two things:

- Doesn't have the ability to remain at CF

- Doesn't currently have the power to play at RF/LF, but we hope...

Guys that can play CF well don't ever have anyone insinuate they would play corner OF...ever.

It would not be surprising if Taylor ultimately becomes a player that hits 17- 20 home runs per season.

That isn't a game changing corner OFer. A nice CFer, yes.

I still have hope that he will be a great CF and take over for Gogo when the time comes, but this article made question whether he can stay at CF. If not, he becomes our next Caleb Gindl or maybe Brady Clark.

• 2 weeks later...

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/8017/9YxyYb.png

Let's hope that Tyrone makes good, and outplays projections. We need some guys that will work the count, and not be such free wingers. I'm going to read this article, and see what they're saying.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

6' 185 lbs. Is he done growing? I would like to see him add a little bit of muscle, but not at the expense of speed and flexibility. It's always a trade off, and he doesn't have a very projectable frame.

Intriguing prospect. Let's hope he moves with some speed through the upper tiers of the system. Heir apparent to Gomez, maybe?

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

In general most baseball people just assume that if someone gets heavier they will become slower, but that is completely dependent on what kind of weight the athlete is putting on. It's like assuming NFL receivers will get slower if they put on weight... If it's muscle, and done properly by maintaining or improving flexibility, there's no issue with the weight. In fact you get a more powerful and more dynamic athlete, usually able to maintain or make some speed gains.

Of course if the athlete just gets fatter he's going to get slower, but it's distressing how little so many people around baseball know about athlete building (without the PED discussion).

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Currently playing center field at the age of 20, he may grow beyond his current frame and actually fit just as well as a game-changing corner outfielder.

He might be implying that he won't be a good fit in CF after he matures, but maybe not. That could also be read as he might bring corner OF offensive potential with the ability to play CF.

I like his reviews, but the sense I get is he's generally bringing a positive spin to them.

Formerly AKA Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Perhaps people on the board who coach and study this kind of thing more can help me out - but looking at Taylor's approach (particularly the wide stance), it doesn't look like he'll generate a lot of loft and/or power out it. Am I wrong? Thanks.

It's really tough to make much of a determination off of one swing but I will say from the other videos I've seen of him his swing doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look great either. In this one video he's behind on what looks like an inside pitch so I'm not surprised it's a weak grounder to the left side (the Segura Special if you will). My biggest concern would be that (in this video) he transfers his weight forward early so there' not much power in the swing.

It's really tough to make much of a determination off of one swing but I will say from the other videos I've seen of him his swing doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look great either. In this one video he's behind on what looks like an inside pitch so I'm not surprised it's a weak grounder to the left side (the Segura Special if you will). My biggest concern would be that (in this video) he transfers his weight forward early so there' not much power in the swing.

It actually looks like he fights it off & grounds to the right side of the IF... which makes me wonder if his early weight-shifting messed up his timing as well, since his swing was late.

On the plus side, on a pitch where he got jammed, his swing looks pretty balanced and in-synch overall - shoulders, hands, hips, balance. Definitely can see how he hits for a good AVG, but I agree that it looks like he needs some tweaking for more raw power.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I believe that wide stance gives him more upper body control to slap at pitches but he sacrifices power big time. I'd wonder on his doubles stats just how many are the type that go to the gaps off the wall vs. the types that are hit down the line or beaten out for a double? What's a .290 avg hitter with this stance and changed for more power, I fear throws his timing way off and he becomes a .215 hitter with less doubles and maybe 7-10 more HRs. Worse BB rate and K Rate. That happens, he's not a ML player whatsoever as his OB won't even crack .300 then. Can you live with a guy who had 165hits in a season with 142 of them being singles as your CF? A .285/.320/.345 hitter? That's my realistic projection for him without some substantial progress from where he stands today.

Archived