Brewer Fanatic

Aoki

From the Rumor mill on Aoki, it seems the belief is he's asking for a 3year deal and it's maybe in the 3/21 range. That would be more expensive than Parra and more years committed. That's why he isn't signed at this point.

I think at some point a team will wear down Aoki for a 2yr deal maybe 15mil total. I think the Reds were connected to him as a possible signee? Would be like a weaker Choo at a less cost because of it. I mean, if Aoki hit 15HRs with the BA and OB and whatever that'd bring his Slg to? Wouldn't he be a lock signing worth 10+mil a season unquestioned?

With the amount of money being asked and years, there's no way Aoki is coming here w/o a Starter being moved from the team. Some team will be able to use him as a Starter. A team like the Reds make sense. Kinda an upper 70s winning team with 90win potential on bounceback seasons. I'm surprised the Mariners haven't picked up Aoki. Or as a armchair GM, how would Aoki fare if in Coors? I'd think he'd post up some .345 BA just lifting balls in to the shallow OF for hits? And maybe in the thin air also lift 7-10HRs like playing for Milw adding value. I get he's a tough signing under the circumstance the Rox just had Blackmon make the AS team. But, Blackmon overall finishing the season wasn't all that special. He's a Lefty with under .700OPS vs LHP last season. Happened to play CF a few times in place of I assume Drew Stubbs a RHB. So a Psuedo Platoon? Aoki and Stubbs vs LHP and Blackmon and Aoki vs RHP?

Blackmon batted Leadoff for the Rox last season to the tune of .335OB. Aoki's .350ish OB would be a little bit better atop the order. And in that platoon idea seeing as Stubbs lead the Rox at the #2 batting order, that platoon idea could have those two batting #2 Cargo/Tulo mixxed at #3/4 in the lineup. Just seems to me Aoki would work well overall for Colorado as he could be the emergency 4th OF covering spots when Stubbs or Cargo are injured. Or just replacing Blackmon overall should he turn out to be an early season wonder like Segura who just needed to be figured out, and becomes more a .700OPS batter

The lack of interest in Aoki is all about his lack of power. Power has become the rare commodity in baseball right now that teams covet, hence guys like Nelson Cruz and Mike Morse get all the love. When you can get on-base at .350 clip I really don't care how far you can hit the ball, especially when there's only been a .007 difference in your OBP every year of your career. Aoki's lowest OBP of his career is better than every full season but one of Cruz's career and Morse's two best season OBP's were virtually identical to Aoki's career number.

Aoki's age is obviously a concern and with the current roster he probably isn't a starter but between Braun's thumb, Davis's inexperience, Gomez playing style of major injury or suspension waiting to happen he's going to get plenty of at bats and enough time off to keep him fresh.

I disagree. Brewers shouldn't be paying over $5 million for any extra outfielder unless he's also seeing regular time at 1B. You are right that power is a rare commodity which is why Davis needs to play. He had 61 extra base hits and 22 HR last year. Brewers are going nowhere anyway if Braun and Gomez can't play virtually every day and Braun isn't close to the hitter he was in the past. The dropoff from Gomez and or a healthy Braun to a Parra is insurmountable while they might be able to get by replacing Davis with a Clark or Petersen for minimum wage.

BrewCrewDue, you're forgetting about Dickerson, who was much more of a hitting prospect than Blackmon absolutely destroying RHP at Coors. So much so that they probably will play Dickerson every day because he was eventually so good last year.

I'd imagine that they'll go with Blackmon/Stubbs platoon, CarGo, and Dickerson across the OF. They had Barnes as the RH side for Dickerson or whoever was the LH side last year and he can platoon off-and-on with CarGo/Dickerson.

Sidenote: Drew Stubbs, at Coors, against a lefty might have been the greatest platoon split ever. He was basically Bonds at home vs. lefties with nearly a 1.300 OPS (yes, really). He was pretty good at home vs. righties (.844) and AAA fodder on the road.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived