Brewer Fanatic

"Selig Experience" to be added to Miller Park

hawing

Link to Caitlin Moyer's Brewers blog

My apologies if this was posted elsewhere at Brewerfan already, and my apologies for the Pandora's Box discussion this is likely to inspire.

I saw mentions of this on Twitter before I saw Cait's blog, and honestly thought the hologram part was just social media snark. Now it feels like an Onion story (to me).

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

"The Selig Experience" sounds like the name of a terrible ska-punk band.

At first I was pretty skeptical when I heard about this (and I've been noted as a big Selig fan/apologist on this forum), but after checking out that link, it actually looks pretty cool.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

This is kind of lame, he was an owner and brought back baseball to Milwaukee but that is a pretty boring experience when going to the ballpark. The hardcore fans might find it interesting once but there is no replay value and the fans that don't want to watch the game probably won't find it interesting. Having an rotating Aaron/Yount/Molitor/Mathews experience could be interesting but not this. I have had enough of all of this Selig stuff lately, all it does is bring back bad memories of bad teams that wouldn't spend money on players. Retire and go away.

Why not just make a pub in Miller Park and name it after him. Miller Park should have about 4-5 different pubs and on the levels with their greats names after them.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

"I cant wait to hangout with a hologram of bud selig" - says no one ever

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I would like to snark on this, but I have an unbreakable appreciation for Bud Selig and the impact he has had on life in Milwaukee.

Without him there is no Miller Park, no Milwaukee Brewers, no Brewerfan.net.

I am so lucky to have grown up with a major league baseball team in my hometown, and he is responsible for all of it.

There have been so many great times, and some miserable and infuriating ones, too...but at this stage in his life, the Brewers and MLB can't do enough to honor and recognize the contributions he has made.

So while the "Bud Selig Experience" has me thinking of a hologram of a rumpled guy in a rumpled suit, eating a hot dog from Gilles, talking on the phone with Jerry Reinsdorf, I'm sure the reality of it will be a respectful and fantastic celebration of a man who has given us so much.

I'm imagining a Scrooge McDuck style money vault for the Bud Selig Experience.

Obviously, Selig is an important part of the history of the franchise, probably the only reason there is a team in town, and deserves to be honored in some permanent way. I don't think anyone really questions the intentions. We'll see about the actual execution of those intentions.

Personally, I think they could do something like the Packers Hall of Fame. Or, perhaps, simply name it the Brewers Museum. Multimedia clips from all eras of the team, memorabilia, mascots, all the different uniforms, etc. Too bad Lakefront has the old chalet.

There's ample time for it to evolve into a more general Brewers Museum/Experience. The location they describe for it (LF corner of the Loge concourse) makes me think it's that space that has been several different things over the life of MP.

I've been ambivalent about Bud for a long time. For me, his "pros" are significant enough to outweigh his "cons." The hologram seems waaaay over the top to me, is all.

There's a Royals Hall of Fame, with museum-style exhibits, within Kauffman Stadium which I really enjoyed when we last visited KC. Perhaps the MP "experience" will have Bud as its primary focus to begin with, then add general franchise history. That would be cool and I'd drop by it periodically.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I have posted several times on this board about how cool it would be to have a Brewers HOF and Museum (as opposed to something like the Wall of Honor especially). While I certainly get why Bud would merit getting some sort of attention in Milwaukee for his contributions to this franchise and baseball in general, I simply do not understand how honoring one man comes ahead of honoring the franchise as a whole. We literally have an exhibit on a different franchise (the Braves) in our stadium without having anything really dedicated to the history of the Brewers.

Even if Selig hadn't secured the Pilots franchise in 1970, there's been 6 expansion franchises added since that time so there still was a distinct possibility of Milwaukee securing one of them eventually. It might have taken until after the passing of Walter O'Malley who seemed intent on blackballing Milwaukee (which he did prior to the late 60's expansion) for having the audacity to sue to try and keep the Braves but I think it would have happened eventually. Bud wouldn't have given up and he'd probably have been the one to do it even if it would have taken years to get it done.

...at what point does it become the "Selig-Prieb Experience"

"The Wall of Honor paved the way for the Selig Experience, which cleared the way for the Selig-Prieb Experience. The stage was now set for the Pan Am Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft."

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I'd be curious what polling data would reveal about how he is viewed. He seems quite unpopular with fans who participate in forums, but that's no doubt skewed.

Personally, without getting into a scorecard of pluses and minuses, the guy bugs me and I dislike seeing that statue every time I go to a game.

The guy was commissioner of baseball for a really long time so maybe in the future the historical value will rise.

Formerly AKA Pete

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-3-d-bud-selig-experience-a-real-thing-that-is-actually-happening/

"And what is the interactive attraction in walking into a facsimile of anybody’s office, especially Bud Selig’s? What do you get to do? Arrange for the World Series not to be held? Mastermind an All-Star Game that ends in a tie? Ignore the glistening tower of syringes, reaching almost all the way up to the ceiling over there in the corner? Duck baseballs thrown at you by the hologrammic Gary Sheffield? Trade Greg Vaughn for Bryce Florie, over and over again? That sounds like something Dante would have dreamed up. Alighieri, that is. Not Bichette, whose hologram likely will stalk the joint, too, looking for the head of Kevin Reimer."

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-3-d-bud-selig-experience-a-real-thing-that-is-actually-happening/

"And what is the interactive attraction in walking into a facsimile of anybody’s office, especially Bud Selig’s? What do you get to do? Arrange for the World Series not to be held? Mastermind an All-Star Game that ends in a tie? Ignore the glistening tower of syringes, reaching almost all the way up to the ceiling over there in the corner? Duck baseballs thrown at you by the hologrammic Gary Sheffield? Trade Greg Vaughn for Bryce Florie, over and over again? That sounds like something Dante would have dreamed up. Alighieri, that is. Not Bichette, whose hologram likely will stalk the joint, too, looking for the head of Kevin Reimer."

That was quite the hatchet job.

Archived