Brewer Fanatic

RIP Ray Sadecki

DocLuna7

I know that this post is almost a month too late, but I noticed on baseballreference.com recently that Ray Sadecki died back at the end of November. Ray pitched for the Brewers in 36 games in 1976 before being released but overall played 18 years in the bigs. RIP Ray.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11933194/ray-sadecki-former-major-league-pitcher-dies-73

A name before my time that I wasn't familiar with. Sounds like he had a very solid career, though.

Among my favorite childhood memories were our annual trips to Braves games. Starting in 1960, it was always for Sunday doubleheaders. I was 7 that summer. We took in doubleheader vs. Cardinals in June. Sadecki, then just 19 and a few months younger than my brother who was also 19 at the time, started the 2nd game. That he was younger than my brother at the time amazed me and is why I remember it. Thought back to that time in 76 when he was a grizzled veteran that pitched out of the Brewer pen and I was an adult.

Sadecki was a 20 game winner on Cards world championship team of 1964 and teammate of Uecker. He, Gibson, and Curt Simmons were mainstays of that staff on the team that overtook the Phillies in the final 10 days and beat the Yankees in the World Series.

Archived