Brewer Fanatic

What's up with the off season feeding frenzy

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't recall recent off seasons to be so crazy with trades. I have to admit, it's kind of fun to see players being dealt like a fantasy league gone wild (even if Milwaukee has remained above the fray).

What's made things so volatile? Any thoughts? Is it parity - having so many teams thinking they have a chance next year they are all making moves to try and bolster their chances?

Just curious what people may think as to why so much activity in the trade market.

Also just one of those years some teams are not happy with their current lineups/pitching staffs and want to mix it up. The Dodgers could have very easily stayed with what they had and been just fine but wanted to go a different route.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Even though there are still huge disparities in team revenues throughout MLB, I think the overall increase in revenues leaguewide have given most teams the ability to take on salary when trying to improve their roster. There are teams in full "rebuild" mode, but those moves are intentionally made. Both the Cubs and Astros, teams that have sat out this stuff in recent years aside from trading away MLB players, seem to be trying to start contending at the same time.

The added revenues have given more teams enough $ to be players in the trade and free agency markets. Also, it seems like many of the trades don't include blue chip prospects in return - they are either MLB for MLB player swaps, or some combination of a MLB player + contract-eating dollars for marginal prospects. I think there's a shift occurring throughout MLB that puts tremendous value on the best prospects, and it's leading to alot of MLB deck chair shuffling.

Archived