Brewer Fanatic

Gary Andersen going to Oregon State [Latest: Paul Chryst hired back to Wisconsin -- post #28]

GAME05
I guess maybe I'm the only one that thinks grades come ahead of football. If Anderson has a problem with it, get the hell out of here. He wasn't anything special, and not sure about anyone else but I never developed any sort of "connection" with the guy that I had with Barry and Bielema. He's just a guy, go back home out west and enjoy your mediocre Oregon State.

I guess I'm the only one who thinks that admission standards should be uniform across the board for all schools, but I also realize that would be extremely difficult given private vs. public schools, different courses, how courses translate, etc. I do think academic standards should be high, but I also think they should be fair for all schools. It's hard enough to get kids to come to UW to begin with, much less have to deal with higher admission standards than other schools. If that's the way that people want it, then the best we can ever expect the football team to do is what Bielema did (and then we can say we ran the best coach we ever had out of town), and expect 10-3/9-4 seasons moving forward.

For those who say, "Stanford is doing it", well they just finished a 7-5 season and play Maryland in the Foster Farms Bowl in Santa Clara. Yes, they played in four consecutive BCS bowls (UW played in three consecutive), but they didn't even go to a bowl in 2008. Or 2007. Or 2006, when they were 1-11. [sarcasm]Sounds like a good program to aspire to be.[/sarcasm] They got lucky with a famous former NFL player as a coach hire who then bolted for the NFL after four years, and are now sinking back to mediocrity. They also have a feeewww more connections to the tech billionaires in Silicon Valley than UW, a big recruiting draw to that school.

I also think (see my post on Lambeauleap.net), based on my knowledge of UW, that high academic standards for admission is a bit of a smokescreen and the real motivator is economic and getting more foreign and out-of-state students paying higher tuition bills (versus in-state kids and scholarship athletes). They know the football stadium will always be full, the TV contract with the Big Ten will always be there, and the way to increase revenue is to bring in more foreign and out-of-state rich kids and they need to justify that.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LouisEly: Michigan 1148/1264 UW 1065/1207.

I don't believe it's about admissions policies. Midwest has simply declined economically versus other regions of the country. Midwest doesn't have speed players as they do in warmer climes. It's hard to recruit players from Florida, California, Texas, etc. where most of the speed comes from. In any case, Michigan, while down lately, I would say because of bad coaching hires, has been a national power with just as high standards as UW.

WV Brew, I have no idea what those numbers that you posted are or mean. Look at Funketown's post on the previous page (#30) and you will see that there is a greater difference between football player's SATs and the average student's SATs at other schools.

If what you are posting is averages, they are exactly that - averages. Averages are very deceiving. What is important is the range. An average of 1000 versus an average of 1100 on the surface looks a lot less. But the first number could be, for example, five at 950 and five at 1050; but the second could be two at 800 and eight at 1175.

And if what you are posting is SAT scores, that's one thing. What about juco transfers? UW doesn't like to give credit to a lot of courses taken at other schools because they want you to pay to take those courses there. Anderson specifically referenced juco transfers in the interview.

Yes, those were SAT scores from the link somebody gave above. Do you really think UW is more selective than Michigan? My point is that they haven't been and Michigan has still been a national power virtually every year until some bad coaching decisions. Whatever UW's problems are, I believe being too academically selective is way down there. Why was GA going after JUCO guys anyway? They have really limited that in the past. I don't remember UM having many JUCO guys either. At least in the past.

Okay, Michigan is in a better recruiting area close to Chicago, Ohio, Detroit and Pennsylvania. They also have done better in the South than UW, probably because they were a national power. Still, academics should be a strength and UW should tailor their recruiting to take advantage of that rather than going after marginal academic recruits.

Yes, those were SAT scores from the link somebody gave above. Do you really think UW is more selective than Michigan? My point is that they haven't been and Michigan has still been a national power virtually every year until some bad coaching decisions.

Over the last 10 years:

Michigan: 73-53, 2 BCS bowls, 0 Big Ten championships, 3 years no bowl game

Wisconsin: 96-35, 3 BCS bowls, 3 Big Ten championships, 0 years no bowl game

While UW backed into one Big Ten championship and BCS bowl game, they also got hosed in 2006 when they went 12-1 and ended up in the Capital One bowl (only loss at Michigan, who lost to Ohio State, who UW didn't play that year).

I don't think Michigan is a good example of your point.

LouisEly: I think you know Michigan has been a powerhouse in the past. Yes, they are weakened right now but not because they stiffened any academic requirements. UW football has never achieved the things Michigan has. As a UW alum, I am very satisfied with how they have done in the Alvarez era. This only reinforces my point, however, that this is not about academic standards. Every school that struggles in sports makes the same claims.

LouisEly: I think you know Michigan has been a powerhouse in the past. Yes, they are weakened right now but not because they stiffened any academic requirements. UW football has never achieved the things Michigan has. As a UW alum, I am very satisfied with how they have done in the Alvarez era. This only reinforces my point, however, that this is not about academic standards. Every school that struggles in sports makes the same claims.

The landscape of college football has changed so much over the past decade, going back 25 years to find the powerhouse Michigan seems naive.

The University of Wisconsin is one of TWO Big10 schools who do not allow exceptions to allow minimum NCAA Qualifiers onto their athletic teams. The other is Illinois.

Now, you won't actually get anyone at any University to say this, or discuss it, but it is a fact, and it's one reason why Diamond Stone hasn't officially committed to be a Badger yet.

Here is a decent article on the subject:

http://thetelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?avis=PE&date=20140717&category=news&lopenr=307179923&Ref=AR

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Well we did have "Shoe Gate" which I found somewhat humorous because my whole life I've gotten discounts that other people couldn't get because my dad was a coach, life is kind of about who you know...

Other than that the Badger programs have appeared to be pretty clean from the outside looking in.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• 4 weeks later...

OL recruit Sam Madden decommits after apparently being told that it's a "long shot" for him to get admitted. His father claims that they were told that if he got certain grades he would get in; he got straight A's but now apparently was told it's likely not good enough.

http://www.maizenbrew.com/michigan-football-recruiting/2015/1/18/7760617/sam-madden-father-talks-wisconsin-decommitment

You have to wonder what Anderson's role was in this and who apparently told them that he would get in. Supposedly they (Anderson?) asked him not to look at other schools and now needs to find a home. Will not be cool on many levels if he lands at (and gets accepted into) Michigan.

Archived