Brewer Fanatic

Gary Andersen going to Oregon State [Latest: Paul Chryst hired back to Wisconsin -- post #28]

GAME05
1) The seniors asked Alvarez if he would coach them in the Outback bowl. That's why he's coaching, not because of his ego or involvement.

B) Go to Lambeauleap.net and check out the thread there and my post about why admission into UW is tougher than most schools. UW likely has the second toughest academic entrance requirements in the Big 10, behind only Northwestern. Two years ago 4-star DT Craig Evans of Sun Prairie gave a verbal to go to UW; Bielema left, Anderson talked Evans into keeping his commitment. Turned out Evans didn't have the grades to get into UW... but was able to get into Michigan State. Anderson's frustrations about recruiting and academic admissions are real.

Good discussion to take over to Lambeauleap.net...

Heaven forbid a school have high standards for the students it accepts, regardless of their athletic talent.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But isn't it half the point if you're a good high-school athlete that sports will open the door to opportunities you couldn't otherwise get? Fine by me if any school wants to lower their standards for athletes.

Madison also let Rashard Griffith in, so I'm not quite ready to give them the moral high ground on academics.

Looks like Chryst is in:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/paul-chryst-set-to-be-next-wisconsin-badgers-head-coach-b99407675z1-285582351.html

My take on GA is that he is a good coach but just mismatched at UW like RichRod was at Michigan. You have to understand the players able to be recruited at UW and what that means for strategy. I don't think GA ever figured that out.

Could be bringing Joe Rudolph as offensive coordinater, which he is doing at Pitt now and Bob Bostad as offensive line coach, who is now with the Tennessee Titans. I think this would be good news because the Badgers would be going back to the type of game which has been successful there.

http://forum.lambeauleap.net/viewforum.php?f=59&sid=f9b9dadd08f3995ff32a6cefd7a15891

Sorry, Ely, I didn't realize there was a College Football section at LL.net or I wouldn't have made the post.

btw, if anyone hasn't visited over there yet, those guys really know their stuff.

My only issue with that site is that I always have ID and password issues for some reason. I generally don't feel the need to post on that site that often, but when I do I can never remember my ID/Password. So, I do the whole "forgot password" thing. They email me the new password and it still doesn't work. I just tried it 5 minutes ago with no luck. Maybe I'm using the wrong User ID, but you think it would tell me that when it sends me the new password...but the greeting on the email states "Hello Patrick425", so I assume that's my ID. If anyone can offer some help it would be appreciated.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Is the academic admissions criteria really that different at Wisconsin for athletes than it is at other places? The Atlanta Journal Constitution had a good investigative piece a few years back where they made public records requests at major public universities and got SAT data for college football teams at just about all public flagships, and what they found isn't surprising but is interesting. Wisconsin had an average SAT of 961, which was about 250 points below the rest of the student body. Generally speaking, selective institutions showed greater gaps between football players SAT and student body SAT (GaTech: 1028, 316 gap; UNC: 951, 317 gap , Berkley: 967, 331 gap, UCLA: 935, 340 gap, Texas: 948, 282 gap ) than less selective institutions.

(Looks like most of the data from the article is summarized here https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/12/29/admit)

Looks like Chryst is in:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/paul-chryst-set-to-be-next-wisconsin-badgers-head-coach-b99407675z1-285582351.html

My take on GA is that he is a good coach but just mismatched at UW like RichRod was at Michigan. You have to understand the players able to be recruited at UW and what that means for strategy. I don't think GA ever figured that out.

Could be bringing Joe Rudolph as offensive coordinater, which he is doing at Pitt now and Bob Bostad as offensive line coach, who is now with the Tennessee Titans. I think this would be good news because the Badgers would be going back to the type of game which has been successful there.

The concern though is that UW will have a Brady Hoke issue when the bring in a true university man. I don't think it will be the case, but the RichRod / Anderson comparison is very valid.

The interesting thing will be who will he bring in to run the defense since Aranda is clearly getting his own job or going to Oregon St.

I was listening to WTMJ-AM while driving home from Northern Wis last night and the guys on Sports Central received an e-mail from an "insider" of sorts....

In it, this guy stated there was nearly a mutiny in the locker room at half during the LSU game because the players wanted Stave to play over McEvoy. One of the players who shouted at Anderson was Melvin Gordon......

There was other crap in there about McEvoy I can't completely remember, but from that message, it was clear that McEvoy was "Anderson's guy".

Heaven forbid a school have high standards for the students it accepts, regardless of their athletic talent.

It's about standards relative to other schools. It's easier for kids to get into other schools, that's the issue.

I believe that is what jericho is saying. Is it really a bad thing that the entry standards are higher at UW for student athletes compared to other schools? Shouldn't that really be the priority? After all, it is a learning institution.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

This wasn't about academic standards or assistant pay, it was about Andersen's inability or refusal to acclimate himself to the Midwest. He's a decent coach but he should not have taken the job in the first place if he wasn't going to commit more than 2 seasons. Alvarez and the rest of us got deceived. Oregon State? That's a lesser program.

Thankfully Barry had plan B in place. Brewers only wish they had leadership at the top like Alvarez.

Somewhat off topic but...

I pay slightly less than zero attention to the Badgers, or college sports in general, but how is it that the Badgers can have a rather successful program in a major conference but never have a decent QB?

They should have probably been fairly mediocre this year, but they had a running back that put up Barry Sanders-esque numbers. But mostly, a very good offensive line and very good running backs.

They've had pretty good QBs in the past too. Wilson has obviously turned out to be pretty good. Tolzien was nothing to scoff at while in college. Stave actually has decent numbers. Made some poor decisions this year, but they didn't really have much in the way of receivers. Their QBs aren't often elite, but they're typically at least decent, if not better.

Somewhat off topic but...

I pay slightly less than zero attention to the Badgers, or college sports in general, but how is it that the Badgers can have a rather successful program in a major conference but never have a decent QB?

They should have probably been fairly mediocre this year, but they had a running back that put up Barry Sanders-esque numbers. But mostly, a very good offensive line and very good running backs.

They've had pretty good QBs in the past too. Wilson has obviously turned out to be pretty good. Tolzien was nothing to scoff at while in college. Stave actually has decent numbers. Made some poor decisions this year, but they didn't really have much in the way of receivers. Their QBs aren't often elite, but they're typically at least decent, if not better.

I remember Wilson and Tolzien and even further back to Sorgi but it seems like the Badgers, for the most part, only have QB's who's job it is to hand the ball off and try not to throw interceptions. You would think a program of this stature should be able to recruit a QB every once in a while who can actually lead an offense and be a top flight QB.

I remember Wilson and Tolzien and even further back to Sorgi but it seems like the Badgers, for the most part, only have QB's who's job it is to hand the ball off and try not to throw interceptions. You would think a program of this stature should be able to recruit a QB every once in a while who can actually lead an offense and be a top flight QB.

I don't disagree. I think I read in the past that they have trouble recruiting the 'elite QBs' away from the more passing oriented schools because of the reputation as a run first offense. It also plays into Alvarez's comments of 'the type of player they can recruit'. They know they can get a great line, so they focus on getting a great back, and fill in from there. They've certainly had their fair share of success, but I think we all see what Wilson managed to do and wonder if more like that could get them into the playoff.

I was listening to WTMJ-AM while driving home from Northern Wis last night and the guys on Sports Central received an e-mail from an "insider" of sorts....

In it, this guy stated there was nearly a mutiny in the locker room at half during the LSU game because the players wanted Stave to play over McEvoy. One of the players who shouted at Anderson was Melvin Gordon......

There was other crap in there about McEvoy I can't completely remember, but from that message, it was clear that McEvoy was "Anderson's guy".

This somewhat corresponds to something that I heard (which I dismissed as a crazy rumor at the time, but the more I hear, the more I think it may have some merit).

I heard that Tanner McEvoy slept with and/or "stole" someone else's girlfriend (Alex Erickson, I want to say). I heard that Gordon said something at halftime of that LSU game, which resulted in Gordon sitting for the 2nd half.

while this is true or not, i don't think it matters too much. The LSU game sealed Anderson's fate though.

1) lying to the media about Stave's status

2) lying to the media about Gordon's health.

how it happened doesn't matter. If they would have kept playing Gordon they probably beat LSU and therefore are playing OSU for a spot in the playoff.

This somewhat corresponds to something that I heard (which I dismissed as a crazy rumor at the time, but the more I hear, the more I think it may have some merit).

I heard that Tanner McEvoy slept with and/or "stole" someone else's girlfriend (Alex Erickson, I want to say). I heard that Gordon said something at halftime of that LSU game, which resulted in Gordon sitting for the 2nd half.

They did mention this as part of that e-mail last night - I just didn't remember details of how far it went with the teammate's girlfriend....

For as bad as the played against OSU it is a little nuts to think that they were up 17 on LSU and should have won and somehow lost a mind boggling game to Northwestern where Stave just played horrible. They should have been undefeated going into the B10 championship.

Good luck to Chryst in 2015. Joel Stave will be the QB, Melvin Gordon will be gone, and your first game is against Alabama.

while this is true or not, i don't think it matters too much. The LSU game sealed Anderson's fate though.

1) lying to the media about Stave's status

2) lying to the media about Gordon's health.

how it happened doesn't matter. If they would have kept playing Gordon they probably beat LSU and therefore are playing OSU for a spot in the playoff.

That not only affected the LSU game, but they very well may have beaten Northwestern, as well......

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/badgers-football-gary-andersen-doesn-t-want-to-take-any/article_0540836c-4b4f-5bdc-b4ad-9bf0d18722d8.html

Public comments, so take them for what they are worth:

"The one thing that I just want to make sure that everybody understands, it has nothing to do with the relationship that I had with coach Alvarez. In my opinion, we’ll talk a lot as we continue to move forward. He helped me. He was not nosy in football whatsoever. … I want to make sure that everybody understands that that’s not the fact of me leaving.”

“We also need to do a tremendous job in the junior colleges,” he said. “It’s something that as a staff we’ve had success with for many, many years and we’re excited about that. We couldn’t do as much as that in Wisconsin as we’ve done in the past.” Many, many years suggests they could get into Utah State, since he's only been at UW for two years.

Not only did Anderson lose Craig Evans to Michigan State because of admissions, he also lost juco recruit Serge Trezy last season who couldn't get admitted as well as WR Chris Jones who ended up being admitted to a MAC school. Joe Keels was another juco recruit who initially committed to Wisconsin, but then switched to Nebraska. Considering Keels is from Wisconsin (Kenosha), and knowing UW's lack of DL depth would have likely gotten playing time, it seems odd that he would leave UW. Maybe his admittance was questionable. Several other juco recruits visited but ended up signing with other schools. No proof of a fire, but lots of smoke suggesting it.

Looks like Barry also interviewed Greg Schiano. He would be a good fit at UW but I still prefer Chryst especially if he brings Rudolph back and can keep Austin Kafentzis committed. Sounds like Kafentzis wants to play QB and thinks highly of Russell Wilson time at Wisconsin (while Chryst was the OC).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2014/12/12/wisconsin-badgers-greg-schiano-new-coach-barry-alvarez-paul-chryst/20334885/

I guess maybe I'm the only one that thinks grades come ahead of football. If Anderson has a problem with it, get the hell out of here. He wasn't anything special, and not sure about anyone else but I never developed any sort of "connection" with the guy that I had with Barry and Bielema. He's just a guy, go back home out west and enjoy your mediocre Oregon State.

interesting to find out that Schiano has indeed interviewed this week. I think he is better coach than Chyrst, but I think Paul still gets the job. He knows the offense much better and you don't have to worry about him leaving for the a better job in 3 years like I think you do about Schiano.

I wouldn't want to go anywhere near Schiano after his debacle in TB and the whole "Schiano Men" thing

Plenty of good college coaches busted in the NFL and Wisconsin shouldn't avoid him for that reason. By that logic Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier should still be unemployed. Schiano had a great deal of success at Rutgers, I think Wisconsin could do a lot worse than him.

Archived