Brewer Fanatic

Gary Andersen going to Oregon State [Latest: Paul Chryst hired back to Wisconsin -- post #28]

GAME05

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't say I'll miss him. I like the way the defense was headed, but I think that was more due to aranda. Offensively though anyone can succeed as long as they keep doing things the Wisconsin way. He really didn't bring much to the table imo. We can do better.

Community Moderator
Two coaches departing in 3 years is a bad sign. I wonder what the issue is. Wisconsin has been able to do more with less for a long time. They were fortunate to avoid a drop-off after Bielema left, but I fear this departure will send them back to being a 6-7 win program, at least temporarily.

Bevell or Paul Chryst are the two names that immediately come to mind.

I wonder if it is a combination of Barry being the boss and perhaps having too much influence on the program and also the admissions policies. I think the admission policies is crap though; Stanford and Notre Dame among other elite schools seem to get talent in just fine.

That fact the Bielema and Anderson both left for similar status jobs at best is discouraging. Its Arkansas and Oregon St for petes sake. Oregon St is a horrible job.

Never thought of Bevell for whatever reason, that's my vote. Guessing Anderson looked at next year and knew it's going to be an ugly year. Still no QB or WRs, and now no Gordon. So he can't recruit blames Wisconsin (Not publicly, I understand.) Good riddance, I was open-minded about him coming in but his recruiting has been awful, and has done nothing to bring the offense into the 21st Century.

Bevell or Paul Chryst are the two names that immediately come to mind.

I wonder if it is a combination of Barry being the boss and perhaps having too much influence on the program and also the admissions policies. I think the admission policies is crap though; Stanford and Notre Dame among other elite schools seem to get talent in just fine.

That fact the Bielema and Anderson both left for similar status jobs at best is discouraging. Its Arkansas and Oregon St for petes sake. Oregon St is a horrible job.

This is what popped in to my head. I wonder if Barry is getting in to people's business a bit. I think Bielema had enough of a relationship with Barry, and enough balls, to tell him to back off.

I didn't love Anderson, but didn't dislike him. I was completely shocked by this. I understood why Bielema left, he went to the SEC. I don't quite get this one yet. Maybe he is just a West Coast guy.... or maybe he did indeed see there were issues coming up for this team.

Whoever comes in now, really needs to be a long term guy, otherwise this program will have some issues.

I thought that to; I thought he was always tied to Anderson with being from Utah. However I think he already signed is LOI so I don't know that he can just leave. But I would not be at all surprised if he does. Hopefully UW can hang on to the rest of the class. I was really looking forward to Austin coming because he seemed to have the talent to finally turnaround the sorry QB position. I wanted him to come in and really push Stave so I wouldn't have to watch Joel chuck inaccurate passes everywhere for another year.

I really don't think Chryst will happen. Bevell maybe; I like the idea of Dave Doeren. Anderson came out of nowhere so who really knows who is on Alvarez' list.

I will say that I will not miss some of Anderson's play calling. I never understood his desire to pass on first down when you have Gordon in the backfield. This seemed to be the typical pattern.

Pass on first down, incomplete 2nd and 10

Gordon run for 7 or 8 on 2nd down, 3rd and 2 (could have been 2nd and 2, or at least 2nd and 4, 2nd and 5).

Bring in McEvoy and instead of running an option play, just have him predictably run up the middle, or hand it off to Gordon (who is usually, for some reason, coming from the wide out position). Perhaps a 50% success rate with this play.

When WI was down 14-0 to OS in the 1st Qtr and started driving into OS territory, Gordon had 3 solid runs during the drive, 2 of them being over 10 yards each for 1st downs. Then, inexplicably, they decide to start throwing the ball leading to Stave interception (on 1st and 10!). I realize that in a 59-0 game this probably was meaningless, but still, at that point and time...WHY?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Gary Anderson left because he was in over his head and he knew it. One more year of decline and he was going to get canned. Once you get canned it becomes a lot harder to get an Oregon State job without going to coordinator way or to a lesser conference school. He goes to OSU, goes 7-4 every year, and they love him. Go 7-4 here every year and you are done.

I think it was on Grantland that someone jokingly suggested Rex Ryan. That would be amazing. Would be nice to see a personality at coach again. I thought I read Alvarez said he is going to go with an experienced coach this time. I'm interested to see who he brings in.

Alvarez said he will coach the team in the Outback Bowl.

Why don't coaches give the programs more notice about potential departures? Is it wrong to inform the program "Hey, I'm interviewing for this job at Oregon State." It feels like in the NFL you don't see a coach leave without notice unless it's something scandalous.

Adam, regular employees do not give their bosses notice that they are interviewing for a different job. Its why the every day 9-5ers have a sudden dentist or doctor appointment.

Honestly all it would do is hurt recruiting and your standing in the locker room if you didn't get the job. There is no benefit about it getting out.

I think the fact that Alvarez is the interim head coach (figurehead or otherwise) again shows that he still wants some involvement with the football team and can see that being part of the reason for Bielema and now Anderson leaving. How many times has someone that wasn't on the coaching staff all season been named interim head coach when someone leaves before the bowl game? I would wager that the answer is 2.

1) The seniors asked Alvarez if he would coach them in the Outback bowl. That's why he's coaching, not because of his ego or involvement.

B) Go to Lambeauleap.net and check out the thread there and my post about why admission into UW is tougher than most schools. UW likely has the second toughest academic entrance requirements in the Big 10, behind only Northwestern. Two years ago 4-star DT Craig Evans of Sun Prairie gave a verbal to go to UW; Bielema left, Anderson talked Evans into keeping his commitment. Turned out Evans didn't have the grades to get into UW... but was able to get into Michigan State. Anderson's frustrations about recruiting and academic admissions are real.

Good discussion to take over to Lambeauleap.net...

The first thing that popped in my head last night when I saw this was does this mean that Austin Kafentzis will decide to go to a different school?

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/badgers-football-utah-qb-commit-austin-kafentzis-taking-a-wait/article_f52831b3-9306-501d-8cc1-81d1b431a093.html

Interesting to see the AK's decision to come to WI is as much about Russell Wilson as it is the outgoing coaching staff.

Wilson's Offensive Coordinator at UW: Paul Chryst

Wilson's Offensive Coordinator in Seattle: Darrell Bevell

...have to be two of the top candidates for the job, if they're looking for someone with ties to the program.

Archived