Brewer Fanatic

Trade Khris Davis?

BrewBalls
Based on the lack of RH power hitters, would it be worth looking into trading Davis for something of value to help us in the future? We can plug Parra into either LF or RF depending on where RRR prefers to play Braun and also sign a player like Chris Denorfia to back up both corner OF spots. Teams looking for RH power bats are the Royals, Mariners, Giants, Padres, Rangers and Cubs. What type of return could Khris net us in a trade and is it worth losing 4 years of team control?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Based on the lack of RH power hitters, would it be worth looking into trading Davis for something of value to help us in the future? We can plug Parra into either LF or RF depending on where RRR prefers to play Braun and also sign a player like Chris Denorfia to back up both corner OF spots. Teams looking for RH power bats are the Royals, Mariners, Giants, Padres, Rangers and Cubs. What type of return could Khris net us in a trade and is it worth losing 4 years of team control?

I guess it wouldn't hurt to see what he could land the team. It's kind of hard to value players right now. I guess if a team really likes him they might overpay. It all comes down to whatever you can get.

There's also the long term question about how to cover OF in the future. Parra and a guy like Denorfia would probably be adequate for 2015. Beyond that, there's more questions. Coulter is likely an option down the road, but he hasn't even played past low A ball, so to count on him just yet is a bit much to ask.

Also, I believe Davis would have 5 full years of control.

Sure, he's highly tradeable. I remember a beat reporter for the White Sox talking about how much they liked him. Plenty of teams would gladly pay and play him.

The problem is that the GM and owner don't view the next season and the few after that as pretty much hopeless.

Formerly AKA Pete

I guess it wouldn't hurt to see what he could land the team. It's kind of hard to value players right now. I guess if a team really likes him they might overpay. It all comes down to whatever you can get.

There's also the long term question about how to cover OF in the future. Parra and a guy like Denorfia would probably be adequate for 2015. Beyond that, there's more questions. Coulter is likely an option down the road, but he hasn't even played past low A ball, so to count on him just yet is a bit much to ask.

Also, I believe Davis would have 5 full years of control.

We could look into signing a stop gap player like Aoki this offseason or Victorino the following year to get us through 2016 and possibly part of 2017 until Taylor and Coulter are ready to step in. After checking you are correct about Davis having 5 more years of team control. This could make him extremely appealing since he has already shown 20+ HR power over the course of a full season. I bet he would net the Brewers a solid return.

Sure, he's highly tradeable. I remember a beat reporter for the White Sox talking about how much they liked him. Plenty of teams would gladly pay and play him.

The problem is that the GM and owner don't view the next season and the few after that as pretty much hopeless.

What about trading Davis to the Royals for one of their three late inning relievers, perhaps Holland or Davis? This could be a win-win situation for DM and MA since they are filling a need without creating a new one. Just a thought.

I think the time to trade Davis would be once he hits arbitration (if you were going to be a Billy Beane style GM), not when he only costs you $500,000 a year.

Davis & Gennett are the players you keep right now. Lohse, Gallardo, Gomez, & Ramirez are the guys you trade. (Well Billy Beane would never have re-signed Ramirez anyways)

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

What about trading Davis to the Royals for one of their three late inning relievers, perhaps Holland or Davis? This could be a win-win situation for DM and MA since they are filling a need without creating a new one. Just a thought.

Khris Davis for one-season-wonder RP Wade Davis would be the worst trade of Melvin's career.

I think the time to trade Davis would be once he hits arbitration (if you were going to be a Billy Beane style GM), not when he only costs you $500,000 a year.

Davis & Gennett are the players you keep right now. Lohse, Gallardo, Gomez, & Ramirez are the guys you trade. (Well Billy Beane would never have re-signed Ramirez anyways)

right you use that $10 m to get the great Billy Butler!

Khris Davis for one-season-wonder RP Wade Davis would be the worst trade of Melvin's career.

No Wade Davis had a solid Season in 2012 as a RP for Tampa. He's been a big success as a RP not as a SP.

Adding his 10ip 3hit 1ER 4BBs 7ks as a RP in 2013 You're looking at Davis RP numbers totaling in past 3 years:

152.1ip 89hits 28ER 56BBs 203Ks 1.65ERA .97Whip

Not condoning trading Davis away for a RP with that success at 7mil+18mil in options the next 2 if picked up.

I would wait on Davis this year with his Bat. I seen him as inpatient early last season, not taking any pitches and swinging at pitches well outta the zone, only to see more patience as the season wore on. He had 1BB in his first 33games last season Then when he took a few walks broke out quite a bit a week later and he sporadically spread out his BBs from there on out.

I'm looking to see him reach near that 10%BB rate he carried in the Minors with growth this season and how that plays out with his bat. He'll be forcing more strikes to be thrown so long as he's not swinging at junk, and I'd believe increase his batting numbers some more.

If he's not holding up his end defensively, at least then in 2015offseason you can look to trade his bat away to a DH needing team. And if his defense improves you keep him because he'll be a 3+WAR OF.

right you use that $10 m to get the great Billy Butler!

That was out of character for the A's but we'll see if they flip him at the deadline. It was a weird signing though

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I like Davis, but he has serious flaws. His biggest pros are his salary and power. I would have no problems attempting to trade a pitcher and Davis together if we could land an upgrade in the OF. Davis is not a long-term solution. He's the kind of guy that you use for 2-4 years while cheap, then trade off to maximize your return.

He's got a weak arm, but seriously, there aren't many players who don't have a flaw. He walked a lot more in the minors. If he brings that up a bit, he's the kind of player I think they should extend.

Assuming some improvement by Davis, I wonder who would be an upgrade.

Formerly AKA Pete

Davis has been incredibly hot/cold, but the way he's looked when he was hitting well is so encouraging that I wouldn't trade him for anything other a very nice return. There's always the (realistic) hope that he figures some things out and stays hot for an entire season, in which case he is a plus plus outfielder. He's worth more than his cumulative stats (cold streaks included), in other words.

Davis has been incredibly hot/cold, but the way he's looked when he was hitting well is so encouraging that I wouldn't trade him for anything other a very nice return. There's always the (realistic) hope that he figures some things out and stays hot for an entire season, in which case he is a plus plus outfielder. He's worth more than his cumulative stats (cold streaks included), in other words.

Agreed. He is the sort of player that if traded, it would have to be for a significant return. At 5 years of control, and good production, guys like him are gold to a small market team.

I've heard over and over that RH power hitting OF are in huge demand, especially cheap, controllable ones like Davis. Brewers would have to act quickly and grab Mike Morse as a FA to play some LF along with Parr and platoon at 1B and replace Davis' RH power bat. But we all know multiple moves like that aren't in Melvin's DNA.

Didn't Bradley get hurt at the end of last year?

Bradley, a first-round pick of the Diamondbacks in the 2011 MLB First-Year Player Draft, went 3-7 with a 4.45 ERA in 18 starts at three different minor league levels last year. He also missed time with an elbow ailment in the first half of the season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Milwaukee- Carlos Gomez

Arizona- Archie Bradley, Braden Shipley and David Peralta

Done deal!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Bradley, a first-round pick of the Diamondbacks in the 2011 MLB First-Year Player Draft, went 3-7 with a 4.45 ERA in 18 starts at three different minor league levels last year. He also missed time with an elbow ailment in the first half of the season.

So, beginning of the year. I remember him being hurt at some point.

So, beginning of the year. I remember him being hurt at some point.

I think being hurt at the beginning gives more more hope that his second half numbers were just meh, because of the previous injury. The fact that they would give up on him for another injury plagued OF is amazing to me.

Archived