Brewer Fanatic

Astros add Luke Gregerson and Pat Neshek to bullpen

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Astros added relievers Luke Gregerson (three-years/$18.5MM) and Pat Neshek (2-years, $12.5MM and a third year option) to their bullpen. Gregerson and Neshek were two of the best non-closer relievers available in free agency.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/astros-to-sign-luke-gregerson.html

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/astros-closing-in-on-pat-neshek.html

Relievers are generally overpaid considering their volatility year to year, but with the success of the Royals and Braves and other teams with lights out bullpens recently are relievers about to become grossly overpaid?

These two guys, I feel, are vastly underrated and the reason they aren't getting more money is because neither is a "proven closer". Gregerson has had 6 pretty darn good seasons and Neshek has had some great years bookending his career with a TJ surgery muddling up the middle. I wouldn't have minded seeing Doug go after either one.

Relievers are generally overpaid considering their volatility year to year, but with the success of the Royals and Braves and other teams with lights out bullpens recently are relievers about to become grossly overpaid?

These two guys, I feel, are vastly underrated and the reason they aren't getting more money is because neither is a "proven closer". Gregerson has had 6 pretty darn good seasons and Neshek has had some great years bookending his career with a TJ surgery muddling up the middle. I wouldn't have minded seeing Doug go after either one.

But we're all set and Doug has a broken ankle.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm glad to see the Astros spending money. Now to upgrade 3rd base, and I might actually enjoy going to games this summer!

Do they want Ramirez?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Maybe the fanbase is sick of the Astros averaging 100 losses a season over the last 4 years.

Tanking is one thing, but what the Astros pulled is reaching ridiculous proportions and it risks alienating a fanbase. Given that it's not costing them draft picks, it helps them win some games for the paying customers, and it might help the attitude and confidence of the young prospects, I think it's fully defensible.

It seems like the odds are fairly high that one or both of these guys end up being a hot commodity at mid-season. At the very least the Astros just restocked their trade chip inventory.

This was exactly my take on it. Probably a win-win scenario for HOU -- if they're in it, they made solid upgrades to their 'pen... if they're out of it, they can probably get more building blocks for the future.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It seems like the odds are fairly high that one or both of these guys end up being a hot commodity at mid-season. At the very least the Astros just restocked their trade chip inventory.

This was exactly my take on it. Probably a win-win scenario for HOU -- if they're in it, they made solid upgrades to their 'pen... if they're out of it, they can probably get more building blocks for the future.

This is the case. Along with that, they're finally coming out of a two year period where pretty much no one in Houston could watch the games. It was a big fiasco, then drawn out in court. Now, there is a Root Sports channel for Houston, and it's pretty much available on every provider. So, I think they're trying to get butts in the seats. As I said before, a 3rd baseman will most definitely help! But improving the gas can that was the bullpen isn't a bad place to start, no doubt!

Archived