Brewer Fanatic

Liriano 3 Year $39 million to Pirates

WV Brew

Pirates have some serious pitching depth for 2015. Cole, Liriano, Burnett, Eddie Veddie (if they resign him), Worley, Locke, Morton

And then two top 50 prospects in AAA with Kingham and Taillon.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Morton is coming off his 2nd surgery on the same hip labrum. Burnett is old enough to have grandchildren. Taillon is coming off TJ which isn't as automatic as has been thought. Locke seems like he'll either pitch like an ace for stretches or look like a 6th starter. Worley was really good last season. I had heard the name, but knew almost nothing about the guy. I wonder what he is this season.

It does seem cheap for Liriano. After the years with the Twins, I'm getting pretty sick of the guy. With a nasty slider and a nice changeup I go into games hoping he's off his game because if he's on - bah.

Formerly AKA Pete

Morton is coming off his 2nd surgery on the same hip labrum. Burnett is old enough to have grandchildren. Taillon is coming off TJ which isn't as automatic as has been thought. Locke seems like he'll either pitch like an ace for stretches or look like a 6th starter. Worley was really good last season. I had heard the name, but knew almost nothing about the guy. I wonder what he is this season.

It does seem cheap for Liriano. After the years with the Twins, I'm getting pretty sick of the guy. With a nasty slider and a nice changeup I go into games hoping he's off his game because if he's on - bah.

right, but the pirates havent had stability in the rotation since 2007 when they were going in with Snell/Duke/Gorzo/Maholm. now they have stability and depth. not saying they're all going to be aces or any good, just now if/when someone falls off the horse they have legit viable options to replace them with

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Ya Taillon is coming off of TJ surgery but they have also have a #3-5 type young pitcher ready in Nick Kingham, and another stud with a huge arm behind him in Tyler Glasnow. Glasnow doesn't have the control yet but he's still very young and continues to improve every year, his CB is going to be a plus pitch. He'll start in AA for 2015 and could move very quickly if he starts scratching the surface of his potential.

I expect Taillon to struggle some with his control next season, most pitchers coming off TJ do, but long-term no one in the division can match the potential of Cole, Taillon, and Glasnow... 3 guys with first tier FBs and plus secondary stuff at the top of the rotation. Do Taillon and Glasnow get to Cole's level? I'm not sure, but even if they end up as #2 types, or a #2 and a #3 the Pirates will still be very well off. I'm not thrilled about Liriano for them, but he does provide some insurance at a fairly reasonable cost, if he's not their #5 pitcher by the end of the contract something went horribly wrong.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived