Brewer Fanatic

Samardzija to White Sox

Eye Black

With the A's on the verge of trading Samardzija to the White Sox for Marcus Semien and prospects (parameters agreed to and likely to be announced on Tuesday per MLB Trade Rumors), I have to say I am absolutely fascinated by Billy Beane. The trades he made in July contrasted with the trades he is making leading up to and during the winter meetings are really intriguing. He appears to have quickly shifted from the "go for it now" mentality to the "build for the future" model. If nothing else, it certainly makes this time of year much more entertaining.

Edit: Deal reportedly for Marcus Semien, Chris Bassitt, and a PTBNL. Here is the most recent MLB TR link.

I know the A's have been looking for a SS, but it seems likely they may have been able to get a better return at mid-season or at the very least received a draft pick after Samardzija turns down a QO. Between this deal, the Moss deal, and Donaldson deal the A's have added a lot of young players although several of them are not considered elite prospects by the industry "experts". Will be interesting to see how things work out down the road.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

he's building for Nashville

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

On the whole, I respect what Beane has done of the years in Oakland. But the Donaldson, Moss and Samardzija deals seem really forced with underwhelming returns.

Again, Oakland has won doing this kind of thing, so I won't discount anything. Perhaps he's really focused on specific players he feel are undervalued. It just seems like he could have done better.

Just for the sake of shaking things up a bit there are times I wish that DM would follow suit. I agree that at least two of these trades don't make much sense on the surface, but I do think there is something about our franchise under DM that massively overrates the importance of apparent roster stability. When I see the flat team that played for us last September it makes me want to make trades just for the sake of making trades.

Just for the sake of shaking things up a bit there are times I wish that DM would follow suit. I agree that at least two of these trades don't make much sense on the surface, but I do think there is something about our franchise under DM that massively overrates the importance of apparent roster stability. When I see the flat team that played for us last September it makes me want to make trades just for the sake of making trades.

The A's made a bunch of trades last season which led to a 10-17 September. Don't see how making changes for the sake of change really helped them.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived