Brewer Fanatic

The Wrath of Kang

Jeong-ho Kang is a super star shortstop in the KBO and he's expected to be posted this week. He'll be 28 early next season. Career .885 OPS and had a Bonds-esque 1.189 OPS last season. Obviously he wouldn't put up those numbers in MLB but I would think (hope) he could at least do better than Segura last year. Not much on his defense but from the video below it looks like his range isn't great but his hands and arm seem good. To me, his swing looks ok - similar to Khris Davis. I don't think the Brewers are going to bid on him, nor do I think they necessarily should, but I'm very interested to do what kind of contract he gets and how he does in the States.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=kang--000jeo

http://youtu.be/TYp6zt627oA?t=32s

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For as much as the leg-kick timing mechanism makes his swing look 'big', he seems to stay balanced & wait back really well... of course he can do that because it looks like he generates a ton of bat speed. The way he holds his hands, cocks, & swings, kind of reminds me of Gary Sheffield. I realize we're watching highlights here & not any bad swings, but it looked like he repeats his mechanics pretty well.

Thanks for posting this, jerichoholic. I hadn't heard of Kang & am now really interested to see where he lands, too.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Pretty hard not to want that guy after watching that highlight reel. Impulsive me says let Segura be a part of a trade and sign that guy lol
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I could see the Brewers making a surprise bid, like they did with Aoki (a pretty big success). I doubt Kang costs much more than a $3M posting fee and a 3/$12M contract. Something like that.

He fills a need as a potential SS/2B/3B bench player (not sure about his splits, but maybe he could platoon with Scooter), and if there's enough promise the Brewers can make him the everyday 3B starting in 2016.

There were a few teams supposedly interested including the Giants and the A's. I don't think he'll be as big a steal as Aoki and it would probably take a more substantial bid, but it would be fun.

I think its reasonable to believe that Segura will hit better than Segura's season long 2014 slash line.

Formerly AKA Pete

Their reliability is pretty low, but beat reporter tweets indicate that A's and Giants weren't interested. Someone trade a SS to the Mets and grab this guy cheap enough to make the risk worthwhile. Make him a utility to start the season and let the pieces shake out going forward.
Formerly AKA Pete

We don't want our bench players to be too good. They may make our starters look like they shouldn't be starting.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Their reliability is pretty low, but beat reporter tweets indicate that A's and Giants weren't interested. Someone trade a SS to the Mets and grab this guy cheap enough to make the risk worthwhile. Make him a utility to start the season and let the pieces shake out going forward.

I think I remember reading that Kang said he would not sign with a team if he's going to sit the bench.

I think I remember reading that Kang said he would not sign with a team if he's going to sit the bench.

I wouldn't either if I was him. He's been a proven player for a very long time and if a team wants him, he deserves a crack at starting with his track record.

$12-15M in guaranteed money might change his mind. That's a lot of money for Korean players, even superstars over there. Plus, with Milwaukee there is a clear path to a starting role in 2016.

The Segura hate continues to baffle me. If Segura's name was Logan Schafer this wouldn't even be fathomable. Segura is a 24 year old former all star coming off a down year/year and a half. There is time to improve and those same people who advocate this nonsense would criticize and conveniently forget about their posts if Segura went on to be a player elsewhere. The age and controllability alone has been of major appeal on this site for years, particularly with internal prospects. Schafer is a never was, total failure of a big leaguer who many here continue to advocate as a viable piece and potential starter if Gomez were to be traded. If only Jean was signed/drafted by the Brewers. I'm convinced that's what people get hot and horny about because they've followed those prospects for so long they hold on to hope guys like Logan can "recapture" the magic they had at the minor league level. I've never understood that mentality. Give the talented, top 100 kids time and trade high if you're going to trade. Do we really want to be the Twins trading young talent at an all time low before they hit their stride?

The Segura hate continues to baffle me. If Segura's name was Logan Schafer this wouldn't even be fathomable. Segura is a 24 year old former all star who's only had 3 good months in his whole MLB career.

Fixed.

Incorrect again. I wish people would stop posting lies as facts.

The Segura hate continues to baffle me. If Segura's name was Logan Schafer this wouldn't even be fathomable. Segura is a 24 year old former all star who's only had 3(4) good months in his whole MLB career.

Fixed.

Incorrect again. I wish people would stop posting lies as facts.

Yea I guess he was way off with his sarcasm. Since joining a major league team, Segura has play for 14 months. He has been average or above in the OPS department 4 times(.749 is the average in the MLB for shortstop). So, I guess you are right, he was incorrect.

I hate the fact that Jean struggles against lefties. He's a career .280 against righties but only .235 against lefties. Last year he hit a measly .182 against left handers. Pure awful. I could be awful. I don't get it.

Jean really needs to have a good season this year or it will be to a bench role he will go, or at least he should.

Yea I guess he was way off with his sarcasm. Since joining a major league team, Segura has play for 14 months. He has been average or above in the OPS department 4 times(.749 is the average in the MLB for shortstop). So, I guess you are right, he was incorrect.

I hate the fact that Jean struggles against lefties. He's a career .280 against righties but only .235 against lefties. Last year he hit a measly .182 against left handers. Pure awful. I could be awful. I don't get it.

Jean really needs to have a good season this year or it will be to a bench role he will go, or at least he should.

MLB average SS had a .678 OPS in 2014, a .681 OPS in 2013, and a .688 OPS in 2012. (This post not intended as a defense of Jean Segura)

Segura OPS by month for career

Aug .489

Sep .785

Apr .985

May .911

Jun .724

Jul .681

Aug .584

Sep .552

Apr .621

May .673

Jun .533

Jul .489

Aug .626

Sep .753

I see a guy who put up a ridiculous start to 2013 and has been average to well below average since then. He may be young but his approach is absolutely terrible.

Kang to be posted on Monday.

Just can't see them doing it but one can hope!

I'm hoping we can get in on this, maybe Doug has a plan to surprise us??

Kristie Ackert of the New York Daily News reports that Korean shortstop Jung-Ho Kang is expected to require a contract in the neighborhood of three years and $24 million.

That's in addition to a posting fee likely in the $5-15 million range, bringing the total commitment to $29-39 million. Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said Saturday that the team is "undecided" on whether they will make an for Kang, with Ackert writing that the club is "internally split" on the shortstop after scouting him. There are questions about Kang's ability to play shortstop and, as always with a player overseas, there's concern about whether his offense will translate in the majors. Kang is expected to be posted on Monday, with the Giants also reportedly interested in addition to the Mets.

Source: New York Daily News Dec 14 - 9:43 AM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

One thing that would make me a little nervous about spending big money on a player making the transition between professional leagues (KBO to MLB) is that Eric Thames went from a sub-.800 OPS and 10 HRs at AAA in 2013 to a 1.111 OPS and 37 HRs in the KBO during the 2014 season (also incidentally his age 27 season). It is only one example, but another guy on Kang's team hit 52 HRs this season. Not quite sure how his 40 HRs power would translate to MLB, especially since his previous high was 25 HRs in a season.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

One thing that would make me a little nervous about spending big money on a player making the transition between professional leagues (KBO to MLB) is that Eric Thames went from a sub-.800 OPS and 10 HRs at AAA in 2013 to a 1.111 OPS and 37 HRs in the KBO during the 2014 season (also incidentally his age 27 season). It is only one example, but another guy on Kang's team hit 52 HRs this season. Not quite sure how his 40 HRs power would translate to MLB, especially since his previous high was 25 HRs in a season.

It would translate to about 5 HR's a year.

It would translate to about 5 HR's a year.

It would more likely translate to solid gap power here. I doubt he will hit double digit HR while in the MLB.

Archived