Brewer Fanatic

If this is it and "We are Set", WE are in trouble

rickh150

It must be because he had a game-winning hit in the 12th inning against the Cardinals, and that somehow stands out and over-represents what he can do.

Or maybe it's the fact that he's the new/latest underdog career minor leaguer with only Elian Herrera (quite deservedly) ahead of him, and we sure love our roster dark horses around here!

...Never mind that he only had 2 other MLB hits & 0 other MLB RBIs. He had 1 walk and 9 K's. In other words, he pretty much did nothing. He has a career minor-league .295 OBP and .698 OPS, which amounts to little if any promise/potential.

Hector Gomez is a minimum salary guy who's decent with the glove, and that's the ONLY thing he has going for him, IMO, which leaves me still looking for the first legit reason he deserves a spot as an MLB bench guy.

That he was a Top 100 guy 5 years ago means nothing now. If he was truly that good, he would've earned his keep in the bigs by now. Jeff Bianchi was a 1st round pick -- so what!?!? -- it means nothing this far after the fact. If the Brewers hadn't needed the extra body on the bench late in the season, it's pretty safe to say that they wouldn't have added him to the roster over this winter b/c his minor league performance certainly wouldn't have merited it.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeff Bianchi has a great glove. He probably would have hit better if he didn't get the Roenicke treatment of being iced on the bench for long stretches only to be asked to PH in a late inning. He'd probably be in the running for the bench if his arm still worked.

Part of the reason that Gomez was a top 100 and a top Rockies prospect was because his glove was better than decent.

The performance that you say define his worth include when he was recovering from a broken leg, his arm was going bad, he was recovering from TJ surgery and battling a variety of back and groin problems. His slash line for last season in the minors was excellent. The FO said his problem has been staying healthy.

Could Melvin get someone better for the bench - yeah. It wouldn't be a semi-retired veteran like Omar Infante and would probably cost about 5-8 million or thereabouts. Even then, you're going to be sacrificing defense for offense.

Formerly AKA Pete

It must be because he had a game-winning hit in the 12th inning against the Cardinals, and that somehow stands out and over-represents what he can do.

Or maybe it's the fact that he's the new/latest underdog career minor leaguer with only Elian Herrera (quite deservedly) ahead of him, and we sure love our roster dark horses around here!

...Never mind that he only had 2 other MLB hits & 0 other MLB RBIs. He had 1 walk and 9 K's. In other words, he pretty much did nothing. He has a career minor-league .295 OBP and .698 OPS, which amounts to little if any promise/potential.

Hector Gomez is a minimum salary guy who's decent with the glove, and that's the ONLY thing he has going for him, IMO, which leaves me still looking for the first legit reason he deserves a spot as an MLB bench guy.

That he was a Top 100 guy 5 years ago means nothing now. If he was truly that good, he would've earned his keep in the bigs by now. Jeff Bianchi was a 1st round pick -- so what!?!? -- it means nothing this far after the fact. If the Brewers hadn't needed the extra body on the bench late in the season, it's pretty safe to say that they wouldn't have added him to the roster over this winter b/c his minor league performance certainly wouldn't have merited it.

I agree with you to some extent but some guys just take longer to develop and learn the ways of the game. Hector had a pretty solid year last season in AAA. Now again, he could just be another AAAA guy that never really does much for us but he has shown the ability to be flexible and play 3B, SS, and 2B. He has shown some pop with the bat at the AAA level. Him being a top 100 prospect at one point only gives you just a tad more confidence that he may just figure it out.

Judging him based on 20 at bat last season is pretty silly. Now has the guy torn it up in the minors all the way through? Nope. But he has slowly improved and is flexible, and does well enough with the glove to be considered as a backup IF for us. To think otherwise is not really using your resources as an organization very well.

Same goes with Elian Herrera. Switch hitting IF who can play OF (albeit if there is only some disaster during your game) in a pinch. I'll take what he gave us last season because I believe he'll get on base even more this season. He has shown it through the minor leagues that he will get on base. I think having those two as options for M-IF and having guys like Rogers and Jimenez for the corner spots puts us in a decent position to make find some contributors to our team without having to pay a ton for it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Same goes with Elian Herrera. Switch hitting IF who can play OF (albeit if there is only some disaster during your game) in a pinch. I'll take what he gave us last season because I believe he'll get on base even more this season. He has shown it through the minor leagues that he will get on base.

Carrying a decent to good OBP in the minors with no power is not a good indication that a player will get on base in the bigs. He BB'd & K'd a lot with no power... there are plenty of those guys in the minors. Herrera was 'old' for pretty much every level he played in MiLB & doesn't realistically project to do much with the bat in MLB. I have no issue with him being one of the first depth guys at AAA, but I want no part of him on the everyday roster. He definitely isn't a viable OF option imo. He looked bad out there, and was only used in a time of dire need... not to mention how awful his bat is at a corner OF position.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Same goes with Elian Herrera. Switch hitting IF who can play OF (albeit if there is only some disaster during your game) in a pinch. I'll take what he gave us last season because I believe he'll get on base even more this season. He has shown it through the minor leagues that he will get on base.

Carrying a decent to good OBP in the minors with no power is not a good indication that a player will get on base in the bigs. He BB'd & K'd a lot with no power... there are plenty of those guys in the minors. Herrera was 'old' for pretty much every level he played in MiLB & doesn't realistically project to do much with the bat in MLB. I have no issue with him being one of the first depth guys at AAA, but I want no part of him on the everyday roster. He definitely isn't a viable OF option imo. He looked bad out there, and was only used in a time of dire need... not to mention how awful his bat is at a corner OF position.

Your backup IF's are probably not going to have the pop of your starters. It just is what it is. Him batting around .280 and if he improved his OBP (which my looking at his minor league stats, he could) to around .320 would be just fine with me as a backup, switch hitting M-IF. He plays well enough in the field too. You're not going to have all stars on the bench but he is capable of being productive in a bench role. Much like he was last year for us.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Your backup IF's are probably not going to have the pop of your starters. It just is what it is. Him batting around .280 and if he improved his OBP (which my looking at his minor league stats, he could) to around .320 would be just fine with me as a backup, switch hitting M-IF. He plays well enough in the field too. You're not going to have all stars on the bench but he is capable of being productive in a bench role. Much like he was last year for us.

I'm aware that he's not going to be a star. He was only productive with the glove last season, & my point in talking about his MiLB stats is that I don't think he should be expected to really do any better than he did last season. I guess if he's limited to only facing RHPs, he might be worth keeping around for the UTIL IF role, but even then I think he'd be best utilized as a guy you start off in AAA & call up when injuries hit.

I'm aware that he's not going to be a star. He was only productive with the glove last season, & my point in talking about his MiLB stats is that I don't think he should be expected to really do any better than he did last season. I guess if he's limited to only facing RHPs, he might be worth keeping around for the UTIL IF role, but even then I think he'd be best utilized as a guy you start off in AAA & call up when injuries hit.

I guess we should put Segura in AAA as well then since he OPS'd less than him, had a worse average and roughly the same OBP.

Herrera did a nice job for us last season and expecting him to get on base a tad more is not unrealistic considering two seasons ago he was on base 34% of the time in more MLB at bats for the Dodgers. And in the minors he's been on base 36% of the time. Elian might carve out a nice little stint for the Brewers as a utility guy.

Personally, i'm a fan of Herrera as our utility IF. He can play all over the field, provides good defense and is a switch hitter. Yes he doesn't hit for any power but neither to most back up middle infielders. I would prefer keeping Herrera on the 25 man roster and put the savings towards bolstering the bullpen and/or finding a RH power bat for the bench.

Personally, i'm a fan of Herrera as our utility IF. He can play all over the field, provides good defense and is a switch hitter. Yes he doesn't hit for any power but neither to most back up middle infielders. I would prefer keeping Herrera on the 25 man roster and put the savings towards bolstering the bullpen and/or finding a RH power bat for the bench.

No confidence in Rogers or Jimenez? Just curious.

I meant who plays corner OF like Blanks, Denorfia or even Hairston. As for our corner IF options, I think Rogers offers more power than Jimenez but believe the later will be on the opening day roster since he is out of options and Rogers can still be stashed in AAA next season for added depth. Does anyone know if rogers can play either right or left field?

I meant who plays corner OF like Blanks, Denorfia or even Hairston. As for our corner IF options, I think Rogers offers more power than Jimenez but believe the later will be on the opening day roster since he is out of options and Rogers can still be stashed in AAA next season for added depth. Does anyone know if rogers can play either right or left field?

Rogers has played a little LF in the minors but nothing significant. He has played RF for a couple innings as well. Me thinks that if he is the one (and Jimenez hopefully does well in ST) to be sent down, that they should find some innings for him in the OF as well. Rogers could be the RH scatter guy that we bring up at multiple positions if he can learn to play all over.

The performance that you say define his worth include when he was recovering from a broken leg, his arm was going bad, he was recovering from TJ surgery and battling a variety of back and groin problems. His slash line for last season in the minors was excellent. The FO said his problem has been staying healthy.

He has been in the minors since he was 18 but last year was the first year he was ever relatively healthy two years in a row. I think if he stays healthy he is a decent backup option. I LOL at people that say he can't be a backup, they don't seem to realize that if a shortstop could defend well and hit well on a consistent basis they would already be a major league starter.

I guess we should put Segura in AAA as well then since he OPS'd less than him, had a worse average and roughly the same OBP.

Herrera did a nice job for us last season and expecting him to get on base a tad more is not unrealistic considering two seasons ago he was on base 34% of the time in more MLB at bats for the Dodgers. And in the minors he's been on base 36% of the time. Elian might carve out a nice little stint for the Brewers as a utility guy.

I'm not sold that Segura is the long-term answer by any means. But he has performed significantly better in the minors & has at least flashed signs of greatness in the bigs. I guess whether Herrera is the last man on the everyday roster or one of the first to be called up from the minors isn't really that big of a deal. I'm just not as sold on him as you are.

So, Winter Meetings come and gone. It seems Milw was Mute for the entire duration of it. Classy run organization right there. Don't partake, sit back and be the audience. If that really was the plan, why even bother going to the meetings..oh yeah it was in San Diego, I'd love that free trip there too!

Just silly and stupid to not be tied to one rumor on a trade or a player. One. None. Nothing about Parra being available and any teams showing interest. Nothing on Lohse or Gallardo (hello Boston? or even Texas?) I have the distinct feeling Melvin is in his final year and with the Lind move, is coasting his way to retirement. The handwriting is all on the wall, the team will be torn apart after this season. Melvin gone. Roenicke gone. All the expired contracts gone. MA will hire a new GM and start the team fresh, trading either Gomez or Braun or both next year.

I mean honestly, if I were playing for this team and its epic collapse last season, and these are the moves done to correct it? I'm going to have a hard time believing this team can get over the hump from last years collapse and succeed this year. And it's going to hit me smack in the face by May 10th. 25 of the team's first 32games are vs Division foes. Will have faced each team in division 2 series. It's going to show up pretty quickly whether the Pirates/Cardinals/new Cubs are who we think they are(contenders) and if Milw misplayed their hand believing this squad of virtually the same everyday starters was going to put up a fight vs them.

What's even more crazy is that after 25/32 by May 10th. You look to the Trade Deadline and between the 11th of May to July 31st a span of 72 games if counted correctly, They play 14 more games in division 14/72. Then finish the season with 37/58games vs division foes!

It's crap. Because two things happen. If Milw is within a 2games of .500 or better, I see them going all-in and making trades to attempt to win down the stretch with the excuse that with so many division games remaining they had to try something and see if they could make up ground.

If they are out of it like in 2013 early, they'll be selling in early July til the deadline.

And I can call 2014 recurring in 2015 for Milw. with all the division games a 22-10 start with a nice 5game cushion on the division can happen. Due to Braun+ARam being healthy early and contributing a lot offensively. Its a start good enough to carry them to the trade deadline where they're looking at a 1game lead or behind in the division and make a move trading for the stretch. Only with so many division games to finish the season, and Braun/ARam's healthy bats deteriorating among others, the avg pitching staff doesn't carry them w/o the offense and the team flounders to a below .500 finish having wasted prospects,plus now heading to 2015 losing all the expiring contracted players with nothing to show for it. Doom. Worst team in the division come 2016 and it won't even be close if that scenario plays out.

I got more than a bit bored looking for Brewers news, too, but I didn't notice quite so much of the sky falling. You're really that peeved because the Brewers weren't even involved in any rumors? Attanasio said outright they're not going to make moves just for the sake of doing so. I choose to trust Melvin's track record of usually not making moves that prove disastrous, as well as his sense of when the prices are right for the right kinds of available players that fit the Brewers' needs. . . . And it's pretty obvious that certain guys who underperformed in last season's epic collapse could still be traded during the season if they're either worth more in a trade than to keep or if their slump of last year looks to be more permanent. . . . Either way, about the only two guys who they wouldn't be trading low on to at least some extent are Lucroy (and that's debatable, too, since his 2nd half wasn't very good) and Peralta, and those truly aren't guys whom, along with Gennett, they should be considering trading right now at all.

There's still more offseason ahead of us than behind us, and Melvin's already a) retained a proven-solid, homegrown starter at below-FA-market rate, b) kept a solid 3B who has a chance to rebound and regain his form (no guarantees here, but really, what can you truly guarantee in December?), c) brought in a much better hitting 1B to improve an historically bad position over the past two seasons, d) hired a new hitting coach, e) made a couple low-luster moves for fringe guys who at worst should improve organizational depth, and all this while f) keeping all the Brewers' top 20 prospects and g) not overpaying for anyone (thus far) on the FA market, preparing to strike at the right time (or two) to shore up the bullpen at prices that are more sane...... That doesn't make for a very exciting Winter Meetings. However, it's important to remember that while the winter's good for generating headlines, it's better to make no moves than to make foolish ones (whether "wrong" guys to acquire, giving up too much talent, or not getting comparable talent in return). . . . I'd rather be boring & win the division than fail miserably after expectations were set incredibly high after winning the winter headline sweepstakes.

Funny thing is, they could -- however unlikely -- pop up out of the blue & sign Scherzer, trade Gallardo or Lohse for some substantial young talent, and I'd guess the majority of this board would still be furious with Melvin & Mark A. for a) the moves themselves, b) the timing of the moves, c) other moves they wanted to see but which didn't happen, d) giving up another 1st round draft pick, or e) some combination or all of the above.

I was sitting and thinking about the roster and there really are only a couple things that can / could happen.

1) the backup middle infielder... who will it be

2) the backup / platoon first / third baseman... who will it be

3) a left hand reliever on the scrap heap... who will it be

4) the fifth outfielder... who will it be

5) trade one of Gallardo / Lohse for prospects... and find a right hand reliever for the pen... to replace Nelson who moves into the rotation

6) maybe, trade Parra for one of 1 to 5 (but then who is fourth outfielder)

These are all so, so NOT SEXY. But that is all we can hope for. Because that is all we need. If you do it right you will add four games to the plus side... do it wrong and minus four games. So if our 'basic' squad is an 84 win team, then the moves above make us 80 or 88. I dont even know if the moves can be made skillfully, or if it is just blind luck.

My preference is we 'go for lightning'. That is, do not get AAAA safety guys. Get some guy that can be super good or super bad. I guess an injury reclaim. Or maybe an overseas guy. I like the young guy who they claimed who may be the backup corner infield guy. He is really young still and good on D. So there is a chance he is a late bloom.

And it is reported Scooter will be handed the full time - non platoon - job.

And it is reported some teams DID contact Doug re Gallardo and/or Lohse.

And it is reported some teams asked re Parra.

The zips was right. We are a decent team all things being equal. And we are decent average+ everywhere. (maybe the PEN is a bit under). But with our team and based on projections as intelligently as we can... we are 84 win. So, we will be between 80 and 88. I wonder if we even have any control over that.

re the 2016+ black hole... I have written re that... the Brewers should try to present a young and upcoming 'home grown' team. Us fans will accept a down 2016 if 2017+ has hope. But if the Doug retirement plan (all in for 2015 with no thought for the future) happens, that will be very, very sad. It can ruin the franchise. We always need hope.

MNBrew. Let's recap the Winter meetings in the NL Central:

The Cubs addressed one of typically every team's need by signing a Front Line FA in Jon Lester for 6years. They also addressed their Catcher situation, getting a better Defensive C in Montero with just as much upside as Castillo offensively. They signed Jason Hammel to a 2year deal who gave the Cubs 17starts in 2014 of 2.98ERA/3.19Fip pitching and helped acquire Russell/McKinney and Straily in trade last July, three players that help their future look brighter than previously.

The Pirates resigned Francisco Liriano, he of under 3.4ERA the last 2 seasons for them addressing a need they had. They also acquired a steady LH RP via Fip in Antonio Bastardo 3.33Fip career for a AA LH SP/RP who's ERA is above 4 in the Minors (4.84 last season) addressing a need. The Pirates were also tied to other trade rumors showing a willingness that an 88win 2014 team and 94win 2013 team stood to be improved upon to remain competitive.

The Cardinals a 90 win team in 2014 and 97win team in 2013 have been tied to rumors of adding a Lester/Scherzer or Shields or top notch SP in trade when already possessing an Ace in Wainwright with strong #2s in Wacha and Lynn. Also signed a Power RH Platoon 1b with Adams+Bench bat in Reynolds. A team when looking at their bench last season had less than 5HRs as a high individually from that bench situation. They addressed a Need, and at least appear like they may add more to the team via FA or trade.

The Reds. Understanding their situation in the tough NL Central and having multiple FAs to be after 2015/ shed Mat Latos and 8.4mil projected salary and Alfredo Simon with his 5.1mil projected salary. Acquiring Anthony Descalfini a young cost controlled SP/RP for the next 6years that would appear to be potentially a backend solid Rotation piece and Chad Wallach(son of Tim) a Catcher who would appear much like the Brewers own Clint Coulter in potential for Latos. And Eugenio Suarez a 22yr old Utility Inf who can play SS or 2b with .700OPS bat profile and Jonathon Crawford a real prize 1st rd 2013 selection SP who's thus far started 31games with 2.273ERA across 142innings for Simon. Descalfini and Crawford now rank 5th/6th on MLB's prospect ranking for the Reds. Suarez I'm guessing no longer qualifies as a Prospect. Wallach doesn't crack the top 20 for whatever reason.

Theres a Red website with a statement quote from I think a beat writer for the team that sums up what we've been preaching avoiding:

http://blogredmachine.com/2014/12/13/analyzing-cincinnati-reds-decision-trade-mat-latos-anthony-desclafani-chad-wallach/

Sum it up, the Reds dealt 2 iffy final year players in Latos/Simon who are in their final year of contract shedding 13+mil in money and acquiring young controllable talent in their system. This vs. letting these two FAs potentially flounder and walk away at the end of the season garnishing nothing in return.

Again, Lohse/Gallardo/Parra/Aram Potentially Lind and Broxton if you don't pick up their 2016 options, all stand to walk after 2015 with nothing to show for it. While taking up 59mil of the team's payroll for 2015. Could Milw have used a Eugenio Suarez and Jonathon Crawford for a Kyle Lohse or Yovani Gallardo? The team would have found a Utility and picked up a 1st rd Pitching prospect while shedding over 10mil in payroll that maybe now goes towards a Bullpen piece or OF Utility. Not one thing was mentioned during the winter meetings of any Brewer Player being made available in trade. Parra was suggested maybe being available before the meetings began, and the Lohse/Gallardo suggestion wasn't made by Melvin but a writer who felt like they could be trade bait due to 1year remaining on their contracts.

Meanwhile, teams needing SP to fill rosters by my count 12 spots for SPs were addressed. Reducing the field of having a need for a Lohse/Gallardo. I can see one view saying well if the field is whittled down to where when making Lohse/Gallardo available and being the best out there for the last 2 or 3 teams searching late Spring Training for a SP can add to their value....At the same time, lets say we're talking to the likes of Baltimore, Philly, or say the Rockies who don't have strong Minor systems after the top 2 or 3 who are made unavailable in any trade. You're left acquiring players that currently grade as being avg ML-rs if best case scenario occurs. The team missed its opportunity to strike. I mean Andrew Heaney, Descalfini, Crawford, Wieland, Eflin, Jefferson Mejia, Allen Webster are some of upside Pitching prospects that were acquired via Trade. Many near ML ready. The team wouldn't look so bad going in to 2016 with SP having that extra SP to step in. And again now there's 10mil to go use for a Bullpen/Utility guy for 2015 or save for now and being capable to put to use if truly going all-in come July and acquiring someone via trade that's expensive.

That's part of the issue is I see the team is set due to payroll. And if it comes down to July trade deadline, and you say hey this guy is available in trade and the Brewers could really use that guy down the stretch so long as they are willing to take on his 7+mil owed the rest of the season...oh wait. They're maxxed currently? Can't take on that payroll? Nice work, you handcuffed yourself when your ideal situation is occuring(Brewers winning at or near division lead) and can't do anything to make that extra push.

After last season's Broxton trade if Milw is not leading the division do you see them making a Broxton like trade when behind in the standings if it meant addressing a problem for the team?(SS Segura is bad, Platoon mate Lind/Gennett is bad, ARam,Braun or Gomez is out to injury, Need for a true Closer?) Doubtful due to where the payroll stands today.

BCD80, you're quite right about the moves made. But NONE guarantee anything yet, a scenario which plays itself out every year. For most of the arguments/positions you put forth, you've chosen the half-empty view of the Brewers' situation vs. the half-full view of their division mates' situations. Your views might prove right -- about all those scenarios have crossed my mind, too. And yet they might not bear out that way at all. The offseason's not 50% over yet and I'm not about to rush to judgement that 2015's a crapshoot and 2016's quite possibly a downward torpedo.

I'm not about to imply that this will be how it turns out for the Brewers, but have you noticed that the 2013 Giants hardly turned over into 2014 -- in terms of significant roles, the only noteworthy changes were Panik vs. Scutaro (due to season-ending injury) at 2B, Hudson vs. Zito in the rotation? The Giants' lineup & staff have their weaknesses, and they only made the '14 playoffs thanks to a great hot streak and the Brewers' epic collapse.

Personally I think it's pretty inexcusable that Houston can sign Neshek and Gregerson for what they did while we sit on this fat toad Broxton at 10 mil per year. Trade the man away for a box of popcorn if it means clearing the salary off the book to sign one of them. Neshek is a Wisconsinite and Gregerson is from Illinois, they would have been glad to come home. Both have better stats than Broxton throughout their careers as well.

I don't call picking up options on 36 year old declining 3rd basemen "moves." We did well on Lind, but I feel like we left something on the table with Neshek and/or Gregerson.

I think Gregerson's a bit overrated and overpaid, and Neshek was born in WI but spent also grew up in Brooklyn Park, MN (Park Center HS) and came up through the Twins organization, which certainly made it like playing "at home" when he came up with the Twins (mentioned in Mpls newspaper articles many times during that period).

Things I've noticed in this thread:

1. Some people are looking for moves to be made simply for moves to be made

2. Some in this thread are completely unrealistic about the Brewers payroll forgetting that we're already overextended for our market size, cable television contracts, etc - I would count my lucky stars that our payroll is at THIS level

3. Some are comparing our lack of moves this offseason to teams making moves which are supported by cities with millions of people (Please, don't compare us to Houston - its a way different game taking on risk for them than it is with us)

4. I think people automatically assume that players WANT to play here when in actuality that's probably a pretty tough-sell to a player who's seen other markets

5. Many are using hyperbole and a complete lack of fact and statistics to make their claims

6. Most completely discount the fact that the Brewers WERE NOT SUPPOSED TO CONTEND LAST SEASON and COULD VERY WELL BE A BETTER TEAM THIS SEASON

Stop freaking out people.

Found this just now:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/14/marlins-brewers-doing-their-homework-on-allen-craig/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

homework on using Allen Craig as Platoon mate with Adam Lind. Mind you this is an expensive 3 yr commitment if this move is made. 5.5 this year/9 next then 11mil. The man's numbers have been trending worse every season and was worth -1.1BWAR last season in 116games. K Rate worse. BB Rate Worse. obviously triple slashes far worse. Can this be the Dreaded Cardinals player scrapheap pickup Milw gets who's washed up/expensive that the Cardinals were smart enough to let go having used up his talent at a cheap cost? Oh boy.

How about the thought of platooning 1b for what one would assume is two years now if this move was made? You're talking about 13mil in 2015 and 17mil combined in 2016 if this move is made for a Platoon? A platoon at 1b mind you where these two don't have the ability to play elsewhere?

This reads like Corey Hart only less with the bat, just as much potential to be derailed due to injury and being a bat that needs to be used as a platoon vs Hart's full time ability?

Does anyone else think this is a terrible idea? Unless Boston of course threw oh say 18mil Milw's way for that contract? 4 this year, 6 next, 8 the final? That'd be the only way I'd consider the deal is with Craig making under 4mil a season. His best season when healthy was only 2.6 WAR. Maybe I should rephrase the comparison from Hart to Weeks. Whereas both teams extended a player who had success b2b years. Only Milw held on to Weeks contract getting sub-avg results and StL removed theirs immediately when realizing the contract due to injury is more than likely going to be terrible?

Yeesh, I really don't get how these people(DM)are put in a position to make these decisions when they are so blatantly bad just to a fan's perspective. I stare at the Division and it's what? 1SP maybe in each Rotation that's Left Handed? 1/5=20%

I don't get how we need someone else after Lind at this moment. Lucroy can and has played 1b 16GS last season=10% Maldonado had 13GS vs LH SP and had an OPS of .878 vs them.

I think the answer at 1b is pretty clear.

Found this just now:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/14/marlins-brewers-doing-their-homework-on-allen-craig/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

homework on using Allen Craig as Platoon mate with Adam Lind. Mind you this is an expensive 3 yr commitment if this move is made. 5.5 this year/9 next then 11mil. The man's numbers have been trending worse every season and was worth -1.1BWAR last season in 116games. K Rate worse. BB Rate Worse. obviously triple slashes far worse. Can this be the Dreaded Cardinals player scrapheap pickup Milw gets who's washed up/expensive that the Cardinals were smart enough to let go having used up his talent at a cheap cost? Oh boy.

How about the thought of platooning 1b for what one would assume is two years now if this move was made? You're talking about 13mil in 2015 and 17mil combined in 2016 if this move is made for a Platoon? A platoon at 1b mind you where these two don't have the ability to play elsewhere?

This reads like Corey Hart only less with the bat, just as much potential to be derailed due to injury and being a bat that needs to be used as a platoon vs Hart's full time ability?

Does anyone else think this is a terrible idea? Unless Boston of course threw oh say 18mil Milw's way for that contract? 4 this year, 6 next, 8 the final? That'd be the only way I'd consider the deal is with Craig making under 4mil a season. His best season when healthy was only 2.6 WAR. Maybe I should rephrase the comparison from Hart to Weeks. Whereas both teams extended a player who had success b2b years. Only Milw held on to Weeks contract getting sub-avg results and StL removed theirs immediately when realizing the contract due to injury is more than likely going to be terrible?

Yeesh, I really don't get how these people(DM)are put in a position to make these decisions when they are so blatantly bad just to a fan's perspective. I stare at the Division and it's what? 1SP maybe in each Rotation that's Left Handed? 1/5=20%

I don't get how we need someone else after Lind at this moment. Lucroy can and has played 1b 16GS last season=10% Maldonado had 13GS vs LH SP and had an OPS of .878 vs them.

I think the answer at 1b is pretty clear.

Well in an ideal world Craig would be healed from it and become what he used to be. His contract would be very good and then we wouldn't necessarily need Lind anymore because Craig used to hit RHP well.

Basically it comes down to our medical staff thinking he is 100% before we'd pull the trigger imo

I was sitting and thinking about the roster and there really are only a couple things that can / could happen.

1) the backup middle infielder... who will it be

2) the backup / platoon first / third baseman... who will it be

3) a left hand reliever on the scrap heap... who will it be

4) the fifth outfielder... who will it be

5) trade one of Gallardo / Lohse for prospects... and find a right hand reliever for the pen... to replace Nelson who moves into the rotation

6) maybe, trade Parra for one of 1 to 5 (but then who is fourth outfielder)

These are all so, so NOT SEXY. But that is all we can hope for. Because that is all we need. If you do it right you will add four games to the plus side... do it wrong and minus four games. So if our 'basic' squad is an 84 win team, then the moves above make us 80 or 88. I dont even know if the moves can be made skillfully, or if it is just blind luck.

My preference is we 'go for lightning'. That is, do not get AAAA safety guys. Get some guy that can be super good or super bad. I guess an injury reclaim. Or maybe an overseas guy. I like the young guy who they claimed who may be the backup corner infield guy. He is really young still and good on D. So there is a chance he is a late bloom.

And it is reported Scooter will be handed the full time - non platoon - job.

And it is reported some teams DID contact Doug re Gallardo and/or Lohse.

And it is reported some teams asked re Parra.

The zips was right. We are a decent team all things being equal. And we are decent average+ everywhere. (maybe the PEN is a bit under). But with our team and based on projections as intelligently as we can... we are 84 win. So, we will be between 80 and 88. I wonder if we even have any control over that.

re the 2016+ black hole... I have written re that... the Brewers should try to present a young and upcoming 'home grown' team. Us fans will accept a down 2016 if 2017+ has hope. But if the Doug retirement plan (all in for 2015 with no thought for the future) happens, that will be very, very sad. It can ruin the franchise. We always need hope.

1) My ideal choice is Bonifacio. He can platoon with Gennett and play all three OF spots, 2B, 3B and SS in a pinch. My guess is 2yrs/$8M gets it done.

2) This is one spot i believe we have capable options already on the 40 man roster in Rogers and Jimenez.

3) There will be options available on the scrap heap come February. My preferences, if still available, would be one of Burnett, Coke, Downs or Beimel.

4) I would look for a solid corner OF option who can spell both Braun and Davis on any given day. Denorfia comes to mind but someone like Hairston is probably more realistic since he will be cheaper and payroll is already getting tight. Note: if we can trade a starting pitcher then Denorfia becomes a more realistic option.

5) Count me in on the group who is willing to trade either pitcher but only if the return is for a young controllable player or players who will help us in 2016 and beyond.

6) If we can sign Bonifacio for less than Parra ($6.5M) is as good as gone. Maybe we can add a solid bullpen arm while shedding enough salary to sign Bonifacio ($4M), Hairston ($800K) and a LH reliever ($800K).

I would prefer keeping Herrera on the 25 man roster

he's out of minor league options, so the club risks losing him if he doesn't make the cut. hector gomez and luis jimenez are out of options as well, so that affects how the opening day roster takes shape.

Archived