Brewer Fanatic

If this is it and "We are Set", WE are in trouble

rickh150
Personally I don't think Lind qualifies as "barely a change". He should be a massive upgrade while playing the majority of the time at first base. Just that coupled with a hopeful Ryan Braun has me optimistic next year for sure. Yes some things will have to go right but I think the talent is there. Doug does need to fill some holes in the bench and bullpen yet though.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally I don't think Lind qualifies as "barely a change". He should be a massive upgrade while playing the majority of the time at first base. Just that coupled with a hopeful Ryan Braun has me optimistic next year for sure. Yes some things will have to go right but I think the talent is there. Doug does need to fill some holes in the bench and bullpen yet though.

Lind should be an upgrade but I'd hesitate saying massive. He's changing leagues, and he did just have 6 HR in 290 AB's last year. Matt Clark would be an upgrade too and given 290 AB's he'd probably have double digit HR totals.

It wasn't just at 1B where the team collapsed down the stretch. It was all over the field, most notably with Braun and Ramirez who were supposed to be the big boppers in the middle of the order. Hopefully Braun is fixed this year but counting on Ramirez turning back the hands of time is wishful thinking.

I think what's upsetting people is that they got the Lind deal done early and have months to work to make improvements elsewhere but they say they are content with what they have. Management should never be content especially coming off that disaster of a finish. These players failed in the stretch and while it's understandable that you can't change over the entire roster, I think even a cosmetic change here and there is called for if for nothing than to clear up the left over stench.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We all want improvements, but it costs resources to make improvements. The club is probably pushing around $105-110 million roster. That's as high as it's ever been. Unless the team is willing to go higher, we really can't do a lot.

That mostly means we're trolling the waiver and free agent bargain bins. I wish we had money to do more, but the reality is we don't (again, unless ownership is willing to increase payroll).

We could free up money by dealing some guys - Gallardo or Lohse is a common idea. Other options include dealing Parra or Broxton.

The report today of DM not even bothering to meet with ANY teams or agents is the major concern for me. This team is kind of bland and could be fairly decent or fairly bad imho. Either way, the general manager should be looking at absolutely every possibility to see if there are ways to improve this team. The Giants have won three World Series out of the last five but they are at least connected with making trades or signing guys to improve their team. Even if the front office isn't ready for the massive reboot that I would prefer, and even if they think that the team can contend next season, to simply say that we are all set to the point of not even bothering to explore what options might be available is absolutely inexcusable. This is a team that was fairly putrid in 2013 and had one outstanding month in 2014. How this makes the roster untouchable or leaves us with so much talent that we don't even need to look into the possibility of upgrading our roster or prospects portfolio is unreal.

That's the old Melvin - spending money when he could just use people on his team or in his system to get roughly the same thing. What are the suggestions? Utility players and expensive relievers seem to dominate. Its strange to hear that spending a lot on the bullpen is once again a thing.
Formerly AKA Pete

Its strange to hear that spending a lot on the bullpen is once again a thing.

You can blame that on the 2014 Royals. All pro sports leagues are copycat leagues and MLB is no different

This is a team that was fairly putrid in 2013 and had one outstanding month in 2014. How this makes the roster untouchable or leaves us with so much talent that we don't even need to look into the possibility of upgrading our roster or prospects portfolio is unreal.

Well said!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

You can blame that on the 2014 Royals. All pro sports leagues are copycat leagues and MLB is no different

I'm talking about fans and writers. Superstar closers and expensive middle relievers has been treated as a foolish and quaint notion of days gone by. Even the idea that relievers can be counted on to perform consistently from season to season is considered ignorant.

Yet Melvin is somehow derelict for not doing those things.

Formerly AKA Pete

Meanwhile, the Dodgers have moved Gordon, Haren, Kemp, and Heaney to acquire Kendrick, SPs Joe Ross/Zach Eflin, Barnes a prospect C, Hernandez a Utility INF, and Hatcher a BP piece within 24hours. That team shed salary improved its current team overall, and added young team controlled players at the same time.

That's whats frustrating.

Reilly said it:

We all want improvements, but it costs resources to make improvements. The club is probably pushing around $105-110 million roster. That's as high as it's ever been. Unless the team is willing to go higher, we really can't do a lot.

That mostly means we're trolling the waiver and free agent bargain bins. I wish we had money to do more, but the reality is we don't (again, unless ownership is willing to increase payroll).

We could free up money by dealing some guys - Gallardo or Lohse is a common idea. Other options include dealing Parra or Broxton.

I think I mentioned this too some days back. But if we're set because the money is maxxed out, then the team should be smart enough to shed a final year on contract player or two to open some payroll while also attaining a young prospect or 3 for the now or soon to be future. The club hasn't learned from Fielder, Hart, Weeks and we are going to stare at Lohse, Gallardo, Parra, Broxton and down the road Gomez if they continue to stand pat and hold on to these guys for their entire contract.

Ugh frustrating!

I think I mentioned this too some days back. But if we're set because the money is maxxed out, then the team should be smart enough to shed a final year on contract player or two to open some payroll while also attaining a young prospect or 3 for the now or soon to be future. The club hasn't learned from Fielder, Hart, Weeks and we are going to stare at Lohse, Gallardo, Parra, Broxton and down the road Gomez if they continue to stand pat and hold on to these guys for their entire contract.Ugh frustrating!

This is where I fall in...100%. There are moves that **could** be made. It seems like Doug is the type that fears the possibility of ticking off a guy or two by making a trade...even if it makes sense for the team. YoGa and Parra could (and probably should) be traded for young, controlled players but we can all dang near guarantee that they will be on the roster for opening day. #UghFrustrating is probably going to be my new #Brewers hashtag on twitter.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I must be in the minority; I never thought it was a good idea to trade away your best players in their prime before their contracts expired. I wanted to win and those players helped us do that. I don't really understand why so many on here always want to trade your best players at the height of the prime. Hello they are your best players. Maybe if they had no hope of competing you do that; but sure don't do that now, especially with the 2nd wildcard. I simply have no interest in going through the early part of this century all over again; because that is apparently what people want to have happen. I will never understand it. As long as we have a chance to compete; I want to compete. Do you think it is fun to be a fan of the 76ers or Astros or Cubs in the last couple years. It would just suck.

I must be in the minority; I never thought it was a good idea to trade away your best players in their prime before their contracts expired. I wanted to win and those players helped us do that. I don't really understand why so many on here always want to trade your best players at the height of the prime. Hello they are your best players. Maybe if they had no hope of competing you do that; but sure don't do that now, especially with the 2nd wildcard. I simply have no interest in going through the early part of this century all over again; because that is apparently what people want to have happen. I will never understand it. As long as we have a chance to compete; I want to compete. Do you think it is fun to be a fan of the 76ers or Astros or Cubs in the last couple years. It would just suck.

I liked being a fan in the early part of this century. There was hope. I wouldn't mind being a fan of the Cubs over the last 3 years if they weren't, you know, the Cubs. The team was building a strong foundation fo the future. We are spinning our wheels and have been for a few years now.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I feel like every Brewers season there is a glaring weakness heading into the season w/ DM at the helm, that is brought up by fans.

This year, while still early in the off-season, I think it's the counting on Lind as our 1b, since he can't touch LHP, and has had some major injury issues, especially w/ his back. Also, we don't have a reliable backup MI. I hope these things are taken care of before the season.

I feel like every Brewers season there is a glaring weakness heading into the season w/ DM at the helm, that is brought up by fans.

This year, while still early in the off-season, I think it's the counting on Lind as our 1b, since he can't touch LHP, and has had some major injury issues, especially w/ his back. Also, we don't have a reliable backup MI. I hope these things are taken care of before the season.

Elian Herrera does a pretty nice job with the stick and is a switch hitter. Can't count him out.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I liked being a fan in the early part of this century. There was hope. I wouldn't mind being a fan of the Cubs over the last 3 years if they weren't, you know, the Cubs. The team was building a strong foundation fo the future. We are spinning our wheels and have been for a few years now.

I think this pretty much sums up where the Brewers are right now. Good enough to be competitive and potentially in the playoffs if everything breaks right for them (see 2014 minus September) but more realistically are a .500 team that cannot compete for the division and are a step or two behind SF, LA, STL, PIT, WAS. Additionally, the farm system doesn't have the Braun, Fielder, Weeks, Hardy, Hart type players that gave us hope on the horizon. Essentially, it appears the Brewers today are at the zenith of how competitive they can be for the foreseeable future without much hope in the way of elite prospects on the horizon. That is depressing...

I'm probably in a pretty small minority, but I would have been OK with them letting Clark, Rogers, Halton and Morris go at it in ST. No they aren't grizzled veterans or dreamy prospects so they have no sizzle, but there's no way its a "glaring weakness."

Rogers and Halton have good splits against LH pitching.

I keep reading that improvements cost money. If Rogers turns into a average 1B, they could use him for 3 seasons and flip him eventually. If Rogers and Craig had the exact same at bats, Craig will likely hit better but thats if he stays healthy, unlikely in my opinion, and he costs, much, much more. It seems a lot of people think you can spin the Earth in reverse really fast and go back to 2 or 3 years ago.

If only Melvin could do a Jedi mind trick and convince Brewers nation that he got Hector Gomez in the rule V draft.

Formerly AKA Pete

I think this pretty much sums up where the Brewers are right now. Good enough to be competitive and potentially in the playoffs if everything breaks right for them (see 2014 minus September) but more realistically are a .500 team that cannot compete for the division and are a step or two behind SF, LA, STL, PIT, WAS. Additionally, the farm system doesn't have the Braun, Fielder, Weeks, Hardy, Hart type players that gave us hope on the horizon. Essentially, it appears the Brewers today are at the zenith of how competitive they can be for the foreseeable future without much hope in the way of elite prospects on the horizon. That is depressing...

I am pretty sure people have been saying that for about 4 years now. People have been predicting doom and a huge downturn for a while now and at least to this point the Brewers have still hung onto quite a bit of good talent and have remained competitive. The division is absolutely getting better so it will be tough; but I don't think it is unreasonable to think that the Brewers can make the playoffs in 2015. More than anything it will simply come down to Ramirez and Braun; if they aren't healthy and producing for the majority of the season the Brewers are probably in trouble. If Ramirez can at least avoid falling off a cliff and Braun can get back to being a 900 OPS player; then the Brewers have a chance.

I'm probably in a pretty small minority, but I would have been OK with them letting Clark, Rogers, Halton and Morris go at it in ST. No they aren't grizzled veterans or dreamy prospects so they have no sizzle, but there's no way its a "glaring weakness."

Rogers and Halton have good splits against LH pitching.

I keep reading that improvements cost money. If Rogers turns into a average 1B, they could use him for 3 seasons and flip him eventually. If Rogers and Craig had the exact same at bats, Craig will likely hit better but thats if he stays healthy, unlikely in my opinion, and he costs, much, much more. It seems a lot of people think you can spin the Earth in reverse really fast and go back to 2 or 3 years ago.

If only Melvin could do a Jedi mind trick and convince Brewers nation that he got Hector Gomez in the rule V draft.

What does the rule 5 draft have anything to do w/ what I was saying?

Hector Gomez, former top 100 prospect, good glove at 2B, 3B and SS, coming off a good offensive season, is in running for BU MI, something that you view as a glaring weakness.

I think all of us would love for Hector to be THE guy but as we look, he's only had one pretty good season so it's hard to bite on him. But yes, I would love for him to get an opportunity at it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Doug has been doing a great job of keeping the Brewers mediocre.

Entire career of his as the Brewers GM we've averaged 80 wins per season

During the last five seasons we've averaged 82.5 wins per season.

Great by Brewers standards

Entire career of his as the Brewers GM we've averaged 80 wins per season....During the last five seasons we've averaged 82.5 wins per season.....Great by Brewers standards

Great by Brewers of the mid to late 90's and earl 2000's standards. We need to raise our expectations. To me .500 and kind of in playoff contention until the last month shouldn't be good enough anymore. We won the division a few years ago and we got to within 2 games of the World Series. That was 3 seasons ago. Since that year the BEST we did is 13 games worse than 2011. This organization should be better than this.

As far as I'm concerned we've hit our ceiling with Melvin and Roenicke. They are both veteran guys who are stuck in their ways. I understand the Mark A. is calling the shots but if all you do is sign the guys your boss tells you to sign then why even have a GM? The Brewers have been absolutely terrible at maximizing their player's value while simultaneously continuing to buy high on Free Agents and on the trade market. That's a terrible formula for a small market team. We can't keep relying on a roster full of expensive veteran guys who have already reached their peak by the time they come here. We need to building around young guys and then trade those young guys right after they hit their peak. It's how you continue to acquire players you can win with.

If I were the GM of the Brewers the first thing I'd do is trade Carlos Gomez. Yes he's a great player and he's a key piece of the team. But he has 2 years left on his deal. He'll be 31 when his new deal starts (assuming he doesn't sign an extension first). And like all players he'll be looking for the biggest, longest contract he can get. You don't survive as a small market team by continuing to offer 4 or 5 year deals to 31 year old players. Why trade him now instead of next season? Simple. 1) The return will be higher because the team that gets him will have him for two years as opposed to one year. 2) If for some reason he has a down year or gets hurt then his value tumbles. Right now you have a golden opportunity to get something this organization hasn't had in years: a pitching prospect with #1 potential. I don't think you can pass up that chance, especially when, on paper, you're the 4th or 5th best team in your own division. I realize games aren't played on paper but as last year showed over the course of 162 games the good teams tend to win and the average teams tend to fall off at some point.

I think as Brewers fans we must all have some form of Stockholm Syndrome considering that some people have convinced themselves that a player who hit .196/.238/.255/.494 (406 PA) at AA as recently as 2013 is somehow a quality bench option. :laughing

Archived