Brewer Fanatic

3 Team Deal (NYY-DET-ARZ): SS Didi Gregorius to NYY...

NYY gets Didi Gregorius from ARZ

DET gets Shane Greene from NYY

ARZ gets Robbie Ray & Domingo Leyba from DET

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/yankees-to-acquire-didi-gregorius-in-three-team-deal-with-d-backs-tigers.html

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me from Detroit's perspective.

I agree. Getting Shane Greene (Not even considered a top 20 prospect for the Yankees) for Robbie Ray (Detriot's #2 ranked prospect) doesn't seem like a good deal. Ray has a much higher ceiling than Greene.

Detroit and Arizona have actually been the two teams that have puzzled me the most over the years. Detroit has taken teams to the woodshed once or twice but make trades for guys that get overrated by "lucky starts" in the majors like Greene and Iglesias last year from Boston. Trading Fister away for an unproven, yet high ceiling Ray and then dealing him for a potential AAAA pitcher just compounds that.

Arizona seems to always lose these trades but this one seems like a win for them finally.

Detroit and Arizona have actually been the two teams that have puzzled me the most over the years. Detroit has taken teams to the woodshed once or twice but make trades for guys that get overrated by "lucky starts" in the majors like Greene and Iglesias last year from Boston. Trading Fister away for an unproven, yet high ceiling Ray and then dealing him for a potential AAAA pitcher just compounds that.

Arizona seems to always lose these trades but this one seems like a win for them finally.

Detroit got Scherzer the last time these 3 teams traded with each other. Maybe they are thinking Greene will blossom.

Yeah, as I said, Detroit has massively won their "big name" trades like getting Miggy, Scherzer, and dumping Fielder just in time.

I would put a lot of money on Greene not being in the stratosphere of Scherzer, though. Once MLB offenses figured him out he was not that good. This was expected from his minors trajectory. Scherzer was a prized prospect and Greene is not.

Scherzer had a minors ERA of 2.61, 1.07 WHIP with an 11.7 K/9 ratio basically through age 23.

Green's was 4.39/1.48 with a ratio of 8.1 through age 25.

Given the importance of defense at the position, SS is not always one you'd like to platoon, but I would think the Yankees are considering a rotation and platoon at SS/2B with Didi. He has Gennett-esque splits and may be an offensive stalwart only facing righties with that short porch in RF.

Archived