Brewer Fanatic

Sporting News battle of the ballparks

patrickgpe

First of all I'd go on the record and say that this is dumb. For whatever reason (probably the brewers do a better job than anyone else of advertising it on their social media), Miller Park always wins this. Even though its a nice park, its not the best in baseball or even the NL central.

Seems like this is just a good way for sports websites to get through the offseason.

I am more amazed of the perception of Miller Park, sporting news ranks is 12th out of 14 in the NL based on its seeding, which there are atleast 5 parks ranked ahead of Miller Park that I don't agree with (Coors, Citizens Bank, Buscn, Great American BP, Citi)

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2014-12-03/best-baseball-stadiums-rankings-bracket-fenway-wrigley-pnc-camden-yards?iadid=MLBFront_DL_3

Up until this point I think the elite 8 looks pretty reasonable considering all the match ups that led to this point. Up to this point miller park beat coots field and petco. I have been to petco and I think it's overrated. A mediocre stadium in a city with perfect weather for baseball every day. It's a good atmosphere but The ballpark itself isn't that great and San Diego is too laid back.

I've never been to coors but I would vote miller park there as we'll without bias.

MP has good atmosphere with the tailgating, sausage races, retractable dome, a solid fan base. I wouldn't call it one of the elite 8 stadiums but considering this tournament and their matchups I think they deserve to be there.

If miller park beats PNC in the current matchup I would say that is a sham. PNC park is a beauty. I am very into the historic ballparks and I am really fed up with all the bland new stadiums (in mlb and the minors) yet I find PNC park remarkable. Walking over the Clemente bridge and seeing his statue, sitting in the upper deck with views of the city, primati brothers sandwiches. McCutchen! I love how Pittsburgh has an excellent and iconic player that everybody there loves, unlike Ryan Braun, even before the steroid saga. I know mccutchen has nothing to do with the stadium structure but he has a role in the overall ballpark experience.

I would rate miller park around #12 in the league overall.

My elite 8 in this particular tourney would include PNC park vs miller park and dodger stadium vs wrigley. The toughest matchup for me was dodger stadium vs AT&T park. There is just something I love about dodger stadium. It is so simple and classic and has the views of the hills. Walking around the grandstand you hear vin scullly. From the cheap seats top deck you get great views of sunsets and perfect weather, palm trees for miles. Dodger dogs. I am going to go with dodger over PNC in the NL championship.

I 100% agree with the Al elite 8 members. Boston, Baltimore, KC, Minnesota. Target field is kind of like miller park who benefitted from weak matchups in getting this far. I never saw the acronym OPACY before and don't like it. It's camnden yards. That's not as bad as the jake by the lake being called progressive field now or skydome going by anything other than skydome. I could live with a corporatesponseredskydome but not just a completely different name. Camden yards is a beautiful and simplistic ballpark. I can see why it started a renaissance. Of course too many stadiums got it wrong. If you are a ballpark aficionado like me, after seeing so many new stadiums, going to a place like nationals park will make you wonder how they got it so wrong when SF and Pitt did such a brilliant job. I would much rather see a game in the dump called O Co Colliseum than a place like US cellular field or even citizens bank park. The Philadelphia sports complex is really lame and a poor urban design if you ask me. Philly is a cool town. It's professional sports facilities are not.

My AL final 4 reps are Fenway and Camden. Fenway advances with ease. I like to have original and unique preferences but I will side with the masses who will end up selecting Fenway as their stadium tournament champion.

Sorry if I got carried away. I like chatting ballparks. I've been to about 25 total and 15 current stadiums.

I never know what they are judging. Are you judging the Stadium and only the stadium? Are you judging the stadium district? I have been to Fenway. The park itself is not that great. It's cramped, narrow corridors, not enough vendors, the list goes on. On the flip side, I have been to Comerica Park and that thing is awesome. They have a ground level club for anyone with good seats. (Not a special $10 price to get in. It's free. Clean bathrooms, no line for ordering food / beer. A place to get out of the rain.)

Then there is the lounge (Pepsi Porch) that is in the right field 2nd deck is spectacular. Anyone is allowed to go there. They have fire tables, ample space, patio furniture. http://aviewfrommyseat.com/wallpaper/anonymous-20140606090825.jpg

They also have these lounge type chairs on the 1st level. http://www.ballparkratings.com/uploads/photos/d2312691f1a1f40b0585892fa84896df.jpg

So If I were to go with Park amenities, Comerica trumps Fenway all day long. I also have been to Camden too and that park is better then Fenway. Fenway gets voted because of the "atmosphere" and the area around the stadium and the history of the stadium. Which really has nothing to do with the stadium itself.

Anyhow, I do agree with the posters original point that Miller Park being ranked 12th in the NL is ridiculous. I have been to the Great American Ballpark and I will take Miller Park all day long over it.

Miller Park ranked 22/30 because its surrounding does not fit into the landscape around the stadium

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2014-12-01/best-baseball-stadiums-rankings-bracket-fenway-wrigley-pnc

And where would it "fit in" and still maintain the montage of best tailgate experience in all of baseball? The valley was the perfect spot to allow for the ample parking. The only thing they should have thought about was slightly turning the stadium so you could see downtown from the seats down first base/right field line when the roof / panels are open.

And where would it "fit in" and still maintain the montage of best tailgate experience in all of baseball? The valley was the perfect spot to allow for the ample parking. The only thing they should have thought about was slightly turning the stadium so you could see downtown from the seats down first base/right field line when the roof / panels are open.

Good points. The windows should have provided a view of the city's skyline to increase the overall ambiance.

I've seen this thing being posted on social media. I don't mean to sound like a curmudgeon, but I want nothing to do with what's sure to be a totally biased poll which in the end is just going to make me mad. That being said, if we come in first, someone let me know. :)

When I voted in the championship round, it was something like 9000 for miller park to 300 for fenway.

Edit:Miller won 31k to 1700.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Archived