Brewer Fanatic

Brewers to listen on offers for Lohse and Gallardo?

Ok so Buster Olney is not a great source, but brewcrewball.com is quoting a Buster Olney "behind the paywall" article that states "Milwaukee will listen to offers for Gallardo and Lohse".

Now I take that as they aren't necessarily shopping either but they'll certainly listen and why wouldn't they? So it's not really all that newsworthy. The question is what would it take to get Melvin to make a move? I guess what is somewhat interesting is that Olney must believe teams out there have enough interest in them to make some offers. If I had to speculate on who, Detroit and Yankees come to mind.

Who doesn't listen to offers on all of their players? Lol, I hate reports like this. But, I guess at least gives us hope that we may make a trade for the future! Plus help us now. (getting greedy)
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Brewers should listen. They're foolish not to. Assuming the team is comfortable with Nelson and Fiers in the rotation, dealing one of Lohse/Gallardo allows you to fill some other roster holes and/or add prospects.

Biggest problem right now is that there's a glut of middle/back end starting pitchers available in free agency. Trading for Yo or Lohse is going to cost something. A team could simply go after someone like Peavy, Volquez, McCarthy, Masterson, Hammel or Harang - to name a few. They'll all probably cost in the $10-13 million a year range - the big thing is how many years. Perhaps the one-year commitment of our guys will be attractive to a club. I like Yo and Lohse better than these guys, but I'm not sure what other teams think of our guys.

As some of these mid/lower tier starters start signing, you'll might find teams that miss out on guys they like come calling about Lohse and/or Gallardo. But for now, they'll probably just hang back and let the market play out.

I feel like we really need an advanced 3b who is near ready. Someone to take over in '16 but possibly could jump in in '15 in case Aramis breaks down, which is a distinct possibility at his age. I'd make this a component to a trade. The Dodgers may sign Lester so they may not be an option. I don't know where the Bosox are relative to trading for Hamels. Supposedly the Phillies want Bogaerts.

In any event, dealing Lohse or Gallardo is risky because Nelson showed that he needs to develop a 3rd pitch to become a solid pitcher. He doesn't have enough of a dominant arm to rely on a couple of pitches. Hopefully he's getting there.

Taylor Jungmann is interesting for 2016 too. I'm anxious to see how he does in Colorado Springs. We could have a very young staff in '16 other than Garza.

I've never really given up on Jed Bradley. He was exposed to the rule 5 draft but he seems unlikely to be taken. As a lefty, maybe he can still get his act together.

I saw this and thought of Texas. Can we make a trade with them? Could you take a Corey Kneble or Jake Thompson or even Keone Kola plus a Ryan Rua for Gallardo?

Man, Rua has put up some strong numbers in the Minors is RH can play 3b and has played 2b....Hello Platoon for Scooter? While also finding the 3b to spell ARam when needed or replaced when injured? Guy has shown 20+HR power.

Meanwhile a Kneble or Kola gives the time flame throwing Bullpen trained arm. Or in Jake Thompson what appears to be a high quality SP arm with upside who's 20.

Rua has that Lucroy behind the numbers about him. Not ranked in top 100 prospect lists, not even top 10 via MLB for Texas, yet he appears like someone who'll bat .800OPS or higher when given the opportunity, proving doubters wrong.

I'm looking at what I believe would be the Rangers 5 in rotation as being Darvish, Matt Harrison, Derek Holland, Martin Perez and Colby Lewis.

Considering the Injury bug on that Starting Pitching, Gallardo's near perfect health record may be appealing especially to give up a backup 3b/Bullpen type prospects. Since Kneble played on Texas last season, I would figure the BP guy would be Keone Kola. But even better would be to nab Jake Thompson and Rua. Texas imo should be able to offer Gallardo a QO either keeping him for 2016 or getting that sandwhich 1st rd pick to replace these non-first rd prospects they're giving up to acquire him. I'd really like to see Milw deal with Texas if they are going to trade Lohse or Gallardo.

Delmonico had his career best BA last year at .262 but also his worst OBP at .300. He didn't show much power. I think at this point he can't really be relied on. They need a 3B prospect bad. Maybe Lara down the road but he is at least 3-4 years away I would think. Middlebrooks could available, he has nowhere to go but he was also pretty much a failure with the Red Sox.

Boston has a lot of young, unproven starters. Without more from the Brewers, I don't think they can get Cecchini or Betts, but I could see one of the near ready starters and Middlebrooks if Melvin believes he can turn it around. I could see him lusting after Craig or Napoli, but those would be tricky to include.
Formerly AKA Pete

I liked the MLBTRADERUMOURS comment today... Boston are looking to trade for one of the 7 or 8 one year contract left guys on the market. They are shying away from the long term big bucks FA pitchers.

You guys know better than me, but you all have been talking about Boston's players maybe available for a Gallardo/Lohse swap. I really hope we shed one and get some 2016+ hope back. I am actually quite keen on Garza and Peralta being one/two in 2016. My gut says Garza is the best, by far, of what we have. And with Fiers, Nelson, Smith... that is a rotation. If we get a couple prospects who may be good in 2016+ we will avoid some dark years. I dont think we will make the playoffs sadly for a while, unless somebody really develops, but we will be an enjoyable team.

What is with this mad obsession with Will Middlebrooks? His last 2 seasons were awful! You realize getting him this season would be his last before going to Arb? If he stinks it up he's going to be non-tendered and both he and ARam will be gone after 2015. The guy hasn't even been AAAA when back in the minors the last 2 seasons. He doesn't have a career OPS over .800 in the minors. You know who does? Jason Rogers. So I don't get the Middlebrooks desire anymore. You know who'd be a nice trade piece for Will Middlebrooks? Brandon Kinztler that's about the kind of value I see between the two.

As to Delmonico, I think the guy will flame out. At least he's going to be such a long term prospect, that maybe when he turns 26 or 27 and is finally ML ready...It'll be for some other team as Milw will be enjoying Lara or Gatewood at 3b before then.

Btw, Texas also has 2 MIF in Roughned Odor and Luis Sardinas former top 100 prospects to find places for. Sardinas is a Switch hitter who played 2b/SS/and 3b last season. He doesn't look like much with the bat but I'll assume he's a positive defensively to have reached the Majors at 21 with an under .700OPS as a minor Leaguer.

Odor. Now theres someone to get excited about. I recall him having strong power potential 20HRs+ for a 2b...It's just sadly he bats LH which doesn't provide any platoon mate with Scooter. And Odor isn't exactly possessing SS ability(played 15games there when 18)

He'd maybe be more a get in a 3team deal sending Gennett away as part of it.

What is with this mad obsession with Will Middlebrooks? His last 2 seasons were awful! You realize getting him this season would be his last before going to Arb? If he stinks it up he's going to be non-tendered and both he and ARam will be gone after 2015. The guy hasn't even been AAAA when back in the minors the last 2 seasons. He doesn't have a career OPS over .800 in the minors.

Totally agree. The guy came up three years ago and did great for three months, then has been awful ever since. Pitchers basically know he swings at junk, so he doesn't get any good pitches. Even minor league pitchers have figured this out (.277 OBP last year at AAA on 104 ABs). He's got Yuni-esque on base skills and they've only gotten worse.

Red Sox GM Ben Cherington said the club is totally open to acquiring a starter with one year remaining before free agency (such as Lohse and Gallardo).

"I think there's actual some real value in a guy who's not signed long-term, if they fit in the rotation, because it gives you a chance to get to know him and see if it could be a fit...''

More:

http://www.csnne.com/boston-red-sox/sox-willing-acquire-pitchers-headed-free-agency

Can someone make sure DM is seeing this? Make a trade for the future dangit. We are not winning a WS with the current roster.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived