Brewer Fanatic

Medlen and Beachy?

Well No surprise hear. As suggested/predicted- Beachy signed a 1yr deal with the Dodgers and an option in 2016. Easy monetary backup plan if/when Brett Anderson or Brandon McCarthy goes down with some absurd injuries. I seen commentary suggest a lowball amount like 1 or 1.5mil, plus Option. I know they are crazy wrong in my opinion. I'll guess he got paid 5.5-7mil with option. There's no doubt he had to be a hott commodity and not just for cheap( why would the Braves in a rebuild year dump him) If the Dodgers could pay Beckett, Billingsley, Anderson, and Mccarthy 10 mil+ these past few seasons to fill out their #5 rotation spot, no doubt they would and could offer Beachy more than 5mil to test him out. They hit they win. Either via the rotation, or in trade to somebody next offseason like Milw with Gallardo. We'll see how shocking the amount the Dodgers paid for him.

I highly doubt Beachy gets $5M+ gauranteed for 2015. The Braves nontendered him because they didn't want to spend $1.5M on him coming off his 2nd TJ surgery. He likel signed for $1M base plus incentives with a team option for $6-8M ($500K-1M buyout). It appeared all he was looking for was a major league deal in 2015.

Well No surprise hear. As suggested/predicted- Beachy signed a 1yr deal with the Dodgers and an option in 2016. Easy monetary backup plan if/when Brett Anderson or Brandon McCarthy goes down with some absurd injuries. I seen commentary suggest a lowball amount like 1 or 1.5mil, plus Option. I know they are crazy wrong in my opinion. I'll guess he got paid 5.5-7mil with option. There's no doubt he had to be a hott commodity and not just for cheap( why would the Braves in a rebuild year dump him) If the Dodgers could pay Beckett, Billingsley, Anderson, and Mccarthy 10 mil+ these past few seasons to fill out their #5 rotation spot, no doubt they would and could offer Beachy more than 5mil to test him out. They hit they win. Either via the rotation, or in trade to somebody next offseason like Milw with Gallardo. We'll see how shocking the amount the Dodgers paid for him.

I highly doubt Beachy gets $5M+ gauranteed for 2015. The Braves nontendered him because they didn't want to spend $1.5M on him coming off his 2nd TJ surgery. He likel signed for $1M base plus incentives with a team option for $6-8M ($500K-1M buyout). It appeared all he was looking for was a major league deal in 2015.

Ok posted is 2.75mil. It was the Dodgers. I realize he's on his 2nd TJ surgery, but this was a SP with 2WAR ability and still in his prime aged years, very worthwhile to take a risk on. IF FA WAR is around 6mil per for SP that 2WAR is worth 12mil. His outlying numbers are ridiculous control/hits per 9. I was thinking LA would sign him for the most money this season to find out what he had. 2.75 is essentially an avg Bullpen piece price. Getting 60IP out of him would more than cover that. Insurance for the two mentioned with an injury history of their own. I think Atlanta did the wrong thing releasing him, when they did only to send so many elsewhere for mini-rebuild. It's just crazy to stare at the Dodgers Rotation situation and have Kershaw/Grienke/Ryu/Mccarthy/Anderson and have Beachy to find out on with Julio Urias to keep advancing quickly and may be ready come start of 2017. And then there's the ties to Alvarez if they go out and sign him.

I mean for 2.75mil and a showing of what he's capable of, I'm surprised the Brewers weren't even involved. He'd obviously pitch in the minors for Rehab and show off where his shoulder is at. Considering where he was at as a pitcher 90% of him would be a very good #3 SP 80% a good #5. Nevermind if he returns to form. It's also the kind of signing where he's making his comeback around the trade deadline and not long before rosters expand after the Rehab.

I guess paying him an amount that he's made thus far as a Major Leaguer is reasonable. But so much for that idea for Milw.

I'd expect them to get either more than 60 innings or less, that is its a big win or they just write off the money.

Other than Capuano, what other double TJ pitchers have been successful? I just don't know. The Brewers do have the experience of rehabbing Capuano and dealing with his medicals.

I remember a news story with either Medlen or Beachy that talked about how they looked at video to study their mechanics after they found out they needed a 2nd TJ. I thought that was crazy. In the radio interview that Mass Hass linked to with Will Carroll he mentioned in passing a huge number of TJs by Atlanta pitchers (I don't trust my memory for the number) and it was a contrast to how few the Brewers have as he discussed Hellweg.

Formerly AKA Pete

Archived