Brewer Fanatic

Gaby Sanchez

Bombers

I posted this thought in the Sean Rodriguez thread but the only thing for me that holds it back is the fact that he only can play 1B. That really tightens the flexibility of the roster much like having Weeks and Gennett only play 2B. As much as Gaby's bat would be awesome to have against LHP's, I just don't see it as that much of an upgrade considering that would be his only use.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Can the team just stick with Jason Rogers? Why cripple their 40man roster by adding a Vet that doesn't really add much improvement over someone who's on it already with more versatility?

His splits last year a .746OPS? That's worthy to go for a Platoon? You realize his career years were playing for Miami...PED-Ville. Man is 31 and only represents a Platoon at 1b option who's not even a Positive WAR 1b on defense. Why can't the team just use Lucroy at 1b if they deem Lind not to be adequate vs that Lefty starter that day? Lind's Career OPS is .706 vs LH SP. Another sign that Leftys do better when given Starts vs Starters. When they only see PAs/ABs vs LH RPs they absolutely take a nose dive. Again Career OPS vs LH SPs .706..Let's go get Sanchez to be a platoon mate(ie start vs LHP) just to bat to the tune of .746OPS?

Can the team just stick with Jason Rogers? Why cripple their 40man roster by adding a Vet that doesn't really add much improvement over someone who's on it already with more versatility?

His splits last year a .746OPS? That's worthy to go for a Platoon? You realize his career years were playing for Miami...PED-Ville. Man is 31 and only represents a Platoon at 1b option who's not even a Positive WAR 1b on defense. Why can't the team just use Lucroy at 1b if they deem Lind not to be adequate vs that Lefty starter that day? Lind's Career OPS is .706 vs LH SP. Another sign that Leftys do better when given Starts vs Starters. When they only see PAs/ABs vs LH RPs they absolutely take a nose dive. Again Career OPS vs LH SPs .706..Let's go get Sanchez to be a platoon mate(ie start vs LHP) just to bat to the tune of .746OPS?

.746 OPS is still better than Maldonado.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

.746 OPS is still better than Maldonado.

I'll take Lucroy+Maldonado day over Sanchez/Lucroy or Maldonado. Would just rather see Lucroy spend a day away from Catcher from time to time(like the rare LH Starters faced) to save his body throughout the season.

Forcing Lucroy to play 1B on his days off is a bad idea in my opinion (not to mention the fact that he is one of the best defensive catchers in baseball, all metrics considered) when lefty mashers are so readily available. Sanchez would be a good fit, Kyle Blanks (OF/1B) even more so.

In 2013 (for the Pirates, so while in the NL Central) Sanchez had a .428 wOBA vs. LHP (126 PA). The downside is he can only play 1B, but remember that in an extreme pinch Lind is a 1B/OF.

Because Kyle Blanks / Gaby Sanchez / mediocre player du jour would help us so well....

These guys have no use to us. We don't need more mediocre people who are limited in playing ability and have seen their max ceiling. Either Rogers needs to play or we re-sign Reynolds at minimum and trade for a minor league AA or AAA first baseman to groom. At least Reynolds can play both 1st and 3rd at any given game. We have plenty in the OF with Parra.

Hell, at least Chase Headley flashed some semblance of being a legit MLB talent at one time, and he'd fill 1B and 3B.

Because Kyle Blanks / Gaby Sanchez / mediocre player du jour would help us so well....

These guys have no use to us. We don't need more mediocre people who are limited in playing ability and have seen their max ceiling. Either Rogers needs to play or we re-sign Reynolds at minimum and trade for a minor league AA or AAA first baseman to groom. At least Reynolds can play both 1st and 3rd at any given game. We have plenty in the OF with Parra.

Hell, at least Chase Headley flashed some semblance of being a legit MLB talent at one time, and he'd fill 1B and 3B.

You sure they are going to have Parra? He's going to be an expensive bench player and he doesn't hit enough to play every day. I'm not a fan of Sanchez, but they shouldn't bring Reynolds back. Blanks is a guy who's played both corner OF spots and 1B. Adding a guy who can play corner OF to go with Schafer might be better than paying Parra $7 million to play twice a week.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

You sure they are going to have Parra? He's going to be an expensive bench player and he doesn't hit enough to play every day. I'm not a fan of Sanchez, but they shouldn't bring Reynolds back. Blanks is a guy who's played both corner OF spots and 1B. Adding a guy who can play corner OF to go with Schafer might be better than paying Parra $7 million to play twice a week.

McCalvy says the Brewers are probably going to keep Parra:

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/102884018/milwaukee-brewers-likely-will-tender-a-contract-to-gerardo-parra

Gord Ash's comments: "I don't think that that's a likelihood at all. He's too valuable a player. The interesting thing for me about him last year is that even though he was a 3 1/2 outfielder for both clubs, he ended up with 570-plus plate appearances, which is pretty close to an everyday player."

Of course, maybe they're just trying to drum up trade interest or something like that. And we could tender him a contract, and still trade him.

I wouldn't approve of letting him walk. Too many concerns in the OF with Braun's thumb, Gomez being wild, etc. But if we did let him go I want to get something back for him. He's too valuable to just cut loose. Plus he's another left handed bat in the lineup against RHP, we need all of those we can get.

Ash: "He's too valuable a player".

Really?? He was ok, great with the glove, but the team was 22-31 after he was acquired. They were 11-17 in games Parra started. How valuable could he have been?

He's maybe a 1.0 WAR player. Is that worth $6 million?

For a team that just concluded a season with an historical collapse, the front office sure seems a little too content, seeing past Ramirez's horrible finish to pay him $10 million more and now ready to pay another $6 million to a backup outfielder. The problems weren't all at 1B but they seem to think they were.

[Parra]'s maybe a 1.0 WAR player. Is that worth $6 million?

In 2013 (as a full-time player), he posted 4.6 WAR. In the previous two seasons (as a part-time player), he posted WAR of 1.8 & 2.6. So he's a pretty good bet to be worth his $6MM salary.

Anyway, back on topic about Sanchez...

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

[Parra]'s maybe a 1.0 WAR player. Is that worth $6 million?

In 2013 (as a full-time player), he posted 4.6 WAR. In the previous two seasons (as a part-time player), he posted WAR of 1.8 & 2.6. So he's a pretty good bet to be worth his $6MM salary.

Anyway, back on topic about Sanchez...

Parra is a luxury. Had they not spent an extra $10 million to bring back old Aramis, they could afford that luxury, but I'd use the $6 million to bolster the bullpen where there is a clear need. I'll take Davis and his 2.4 WAR in LF along with Gomez and hopefully a fully healthy Braun. Lets face it if Braun doesn't approach his past success, the teams going nowhere. Replacing him with Parra won't make them winners.

Sanchez had some decent seasons 4-5 years ago in Miami. Since then, he's been meh. If they insist on a veteran platoon bat, make a deal with Marlins and get Jeff Baker who has better splits vs. lefties and can play both 2B and 1B. Don't just pick up Sanchez because he happens to be available for little effort.

Archived