Brewer Fanatic

Jim Bowden: Three-Team Conjecture

Dark Blue goes to Pale Blue.

White goes to Pale Blue.

Pale Blue goes to Dark Blue.

White saves $$$.

and I must be wrong... because insider content give two words before it stops for subscribers..... it say Dodgers Aquire:...

I guess it does not say Dodgers Aquire.... CASH

After a bit of research, I see the Dodgers currently have FOUR shortstops on their roster. I guess they do not want a fifth.

So I am going for: from the lead to the pic "Could there be a trade involving James Paxton, Jean Segura and Matt Kemp?"

Segura to Mariners

Paxton to the Dodgers

Kemp to the Brewers.... but why would we do that.

So, the other alternative is

Segura to the Dodgers

Kemp to the Mariners... sorry, not following all teams, would they have interest

Paxton to the Brewers... well, I like that

How many more combos are there of ABC... let me think A can go 2 ways, therefore B can then go two way, and C is left... so there are four combos... what is it... 3 factorial divided by 2 factorial

Ok, this is too hard. Let all players stay where they are.

Dodgers acquire: James Paxton from Seattle; Jean Segura from Milwaukee.

Mariners acquire: Ryan Braun from Milwaukee.

Brewers acquire: Matt Kemp from Los Angeles; Brad Miller from Seattle.

Hahahaha...

I read that and was amazed that Jim Bowden was ever an executive. Surely he has to be realistic to see that no team would do that deal from the Brewers perspective. A double downgrade with the face of the franchise leaving? He must think he was playing OOTP.

The only way a trade involving those players pictured is if Gomez is involved as well. No team is giving up a Walker or Kemp caliber player for Segura. Even if the Dodgers were just looking to dump Kemp's salary, Segura makes no sense for the reason that they have 1,000,000 SS's already.

Kemp stinks. Los Angeles would trade Kemp for Paxton/Segura in a heartbeat. It's the other teams that would never consider that laughable trade - especially Milwaukee.

The Dodgers would likely trade Kemp for any reasonable offer, and if you ask me, they come out best in that proposal while the Brewers come out worst. If I'm going to trade Braun, it's going to be to strip salary and/or add young talent.... not to acquire an even more expensive player with almost as many question marks...and kick in Segura to boot.

So... What is this supposed trade? Got a little confusing.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Mariners get a expensive OFer who was below average last year who is coming off surgery and has a PED target on his back and is signed until 2020.

The Brewers get an even more expensive OFer who somehow was even worse in the field than Braun and a lateral to slight improvement at SS.

The Dodgers get a young LHP who has had good success in his first 17 starts, a young cheap SS and to off load a OFer and his monstrous salary.

Yeah...

It's just amazing how any kind of proposal by any of these types seem to believe Milw will absolutely cripple their franchise by getting the worst return everytime. Meanwhile the Dodgers get Segura and Paxton while unloading Kemp....Makes perfect sense. Such a joke.

I wouldn't mind this trade so much. A lot of people are selling Miller and Kemp short.

-Kemp was also playing hurt and plays in a much tougher home park/division (sans Coors).

-Miller plays in a really tough park.

Miller might be one of those guys that flames out due to strikeouts in the majors but he profiled as an absolute stud in the minors. PCL inflation may exist, but over .400 OBP and a slugging left-handed batting SS/2B. That is gold. I feel his offensive ceiling is much higher than Segura's if he figures it out.

For whatever it's worth, Kemp is a year younger than Braun and his contract runs a year shorter. Not something necessarily worth the downgrade, but that is also nice.

Check out Kemp's year last year. As he got healthier at the end of the year, he ended up posting a better season that Braun did in a tougher park. We can hope that Braun returns healthy but Kemp is still pretty good.

Sooooooo, who would be our SS in 2015 if we dump Segura? Makes no sense.

I'd be mega interested in Paxton, but no interest in Kemp at his current salary.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Dodgers have quantity, not quality, at SS:

Miguel Rojas - career minor league OPS of .602

Darwin Barney - career major league OPS of .630 and OBP of .294

Erisbel Arruebarrena - Cuban defector, signed to a decent contract (5 yrs, $25M), wasn't that great in the minors and was pretty awful in a small sample in the majors, probably needs another year in the minors as they have him signed for four more years

Alex Guerrero - is he a SS? Played all over the place last year - 2B, 3B, SS, LF.

So the Dodgers would be relying on Darwin Barney or Alex Guerrero to play SS. Given that Guerrero played very little SS in the minors, I doubt he takes over SS in the majors for them. Thus the addition of Segura. While numbers-wise very comparable to Barney, Segura is four years younger and likely better defensively

CF was a black hole for the Mariners last year. A BAbip of .315, second highest on the team, and an OPS of .556. Think about that. Kemp makes a lot of sense, but I don't think they have to give that much up to get him since he's still owed $107M over the next five years.

If it's just those pictured, then the Brewers give up Segura and get Paxton. Then flip one of Gallardo or Lohse for a SS. Works very well for me.

If were were getting Paxton out of this, I'd be all for it. Those would be the type of trades we do need to make.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
I know I am the only one but I would really like to see Matt Kemp in Milwaukee. Kemp is a good guy and has a good reputation out here in Los Angeles. Underappreciated if not overpaid. Not realistic as it hurts the payroll, doesn't fill an organizational need necessarily (although a 2-3-4 of Lucroy-Braun-Kemp would be nice) and flies in the face of the direction I want the team to go (i.e. build through the draft), but I sure would like it as a fan.

I know I am the only one but I would really like to see Matt Kemp in Milwaukee. Kemp is a good guy and has a good reputation out here in Los Angeles. Underappreciated if not overpaid. Not realistic as it hurts the payroll, doesn't fill an organizational need necessarily (although a 2-3-4 of Lucroy-Braun-Kemp would be nice) and flies in the face of the direction I want the team to go (i.e. build through the draft), but I sure would like it as a fan.

He may be underappreciated as a person, but he's severely overrated as a player, which is the problem.

Archived