Brewer Fanatic

Anti-Virus software

Patrick425

We use Norton Anti-Virus software at home but after reading online reviews and comparing costs it appears that we could get the same or better anti-virus protection for less (or free?). I was wondering what other people on brewerfan use and looking for any advice on a good anti-virus software program. One thing I would like (in a program that I pay for) is the ability to install it on multiple laptops or devices (at least 3 different devices).

If I have Microsoft Security Essentials on my laptop, is it necessary to have another anti-virus program installed?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I use Webroot Secure Anywhere. Highly rated on Amazon, doesn't bog down your system, scans really fast. I back it up with free Malwarebytes. I think it was ~$25 and you can install it on three computers. It's picked up a couple of things I've snagged this year. "Free" software and programs like to come with malware attached.

You can get by with free anti-virus as long as you are very, very careful about what you click on and download. Free versions are not pro-active though; you have to manually scan to find anything, so you can catch a virus or malware without noticing. The ones that lock up your system and demand payment are a bear; had one of those once.

I spend a lot more than $25 on less valuable things in a year. I look at it as a $25 insurance policy to protect lots of money and time I've invested in acquiring music, videos, and important documents. I already spend $1000 a year on various insurances, what's another $25?

Thanks for the advice! Webroot Secure is one that I see getting good reviews on various sites, so I think I'm going to go with that. I found a version for $29 that you can install on 5 devices (which will cover just about all the needed devices in our house).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived