Brewer Fanatic

Mariners 3B Kyle Seager signs 7-year, $100 million extension

reillymcshane

Whenever I read something about a player I don't know much about I head over to B-Ref to check out their career numbers and minors number. I learned Seager was never ranked a top 100 prospect by anyone and he's now one of the best 3B in baseball.

Yeah, I'll admit he's a name that's kind of flown under the radar for me as well. I just don't have time to follow the whole of MLB like I used to ("real life" tends to get in the way of that). Good for him and good for Seattle, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Whenever I read something about a player I don't know much about I head over to B-Ref to check out their career numbers and minors number. I learned Seager was never ranked a top 100 prospect by anyone and he's now one of the best 3B in baseball.

Like Mike Piazza was a 50th round draft pick (or something crazy like that). Turned into the best hitting catcher in baseball history.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think the reason Seager never got ranked was that he advanced so quickly to the majors. He had a mediocre debut in 2009 at rookie ball (hit .261 with 1 HR in 161 ABs), but then had a great 2010 at High Desert, hitting .345, 14 HRs and a .419 OBP). But High Desert is a notorious hitters' park. In fact, of players with at least 100 ABs, 7 guys on the team hit over .300 that year. I suspect the lack of big home run power and the nature of the ballpark and the league kept his stock down as a prospect.

Seager went on to advance from AA to AAA to the majors the next year (exhausting his rookie eligibility by playing in 53 big league games), so he never got a chance to be touted as a major prospect. If he had not gotten to the majors in 2011, he probably would have been pretty highly rated.

Seager was in for a 5mil-ish 1st yr of Arb so one could guess 10mil/17mil the following two years? Makes this a FA signing of approx. 4/68mil. Super good deal on Seattle's end. Considering that is less than HanRams/Sandovals at this year's prices not 3years from now prices.

They are likely dealing with a 3.5-5WAR player long term to help protect Cano and maybe entice another Bat to join the lineup at some point.

Like Mike Piazza was a 50th round draft pick (or something crazy like that). Turned into the best hitting catcher in baseball history.

Josh Gibson waves hello and say's "just MLB history"

Also, if you believe the steroid rumors about Piazza and factor in defense, I'd rather have Bench or Campanella or Berra

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived