Brewer Fanatic

Hanley Ramirez to Red Sox

jjkoestler

At very first glance it seems like a reasonable free agent contract at least compared to what I would have guessed.

Hanley back with the Red Sox organization almost a decade after they traded him to the Marlins.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ramirez seems like an odd signing if they are adding Sandoval. Like people say, where do you play him? Rusney and Betts should be locks to play every day. Same with Cespedes. That leaves Victorino and Craig on the bench. Plus Jackie Bradley. I guess you can make some trades, but is Ramirez in LF - at $18 million or more annually - what the team wants. He's barely played there and has a history of injuries. Head shake.

Perhaps you deal Napoli and move Sandoval to 1B - but that wastes Kung Fu Panda' defense, which is generally regarded as pretty good.

Seems kind of crazy to devote that much cash to a couple of good, but not great players. Especially without a clear plan of what position one of the guys is going to play.

Ramirez seems like an odd signing if they are adding Sandoval. Like people say, where do you play him? Rusney and Betts should be locks to play every day. Same with Cespedes. That leaves Victorino and Craig on the bench. Plus Jackie Bradley. I guess you can make some trades, but is Ramirez in LF - at $18 million or more annually - what the team wants. He's barely played there and has a history of injuries. Head shake.

Perhaps you deal Napoli and move Sandoval to 1B - but that wastes Kung Fu Panda' defense, which is generally regarded as pretty good.

Seems kind of crazy to devote that much cash to a couple of good, but not great players. Especially without a clear plan of what position one of the guys is going to play.

Don't forget Nava too. If we could pry him away for something I wouldn't mind it, he's in arby and probably going to be cheaper than Parra...also is a switch-hitter.

I've felt for awhile the Bosox could be a good trade partner for the Crew. They may be interested in Gallardo or Lohse.

Bring back a young left side of the infield kid like Garin Cecchini or Will Middlebrooks, plus one of their front line starting rotation prospects. Cecchini and Middlebrooks have struggled but may be able to turn it around.

You guys really need to go and look up Will Middlebrooks' numbers through the minors and now majors. At no point did he ever look like anything more than AAAA fodder other than his first month in the majors.

Agreed on that. Nava certainly reads that exact same profile. AAAA guy.

Having Castillo and Betts, I believe JBJ/Cespedes and Bogaerts are trade fodder now. To land someone big. Cole Hamels. Jordan Zimmermann. Fister. Ross. Cashner. Walker. Justin Upton. Boston is going to have some kind of AllStars team.

Nava has value in the majors. He was a much, much better hitter than Middlebrooks in the minors and he can crush RH pitching. I've actually wondered how they've kept him stashed away in the minors for so long. He's no superstar but he has value.

Middlebrooks, if he could figure things out a little bit could be a low .700s OPS 3rd baseman with a lot of strikeouts. Maybe a ceiling of Mark Reynolds.

I meant the trajectory of Reynolds' career. Have a few .800+ seasons and fade away to strikeouts. Have some maddening .700 seasons.

I don't even really expect Middlebrooks to get over .800 at all, but a "ceiling" of Reynolds in his prime isn't a terrible thing. Reynolds had some value for a while.

That said, Middlebrooks wasn't nearly as good as Reynolds was in the minors.

Archived