Brewer Fanatic

Brewers name Mike Guerrero 1st base coach

patrickgpe

I wonder if the interview process for the first base coach job is an NFL combine-type workout involving clicking stopwatches, giving fist-bumps, and jogging to second to grab the hitter's elbow guard.

In fairness, the Brewer fist base coach also handles defense in the infield which is more intricate than just hitting them grounders these days.

I wonder if the interview process for the first base coach job is an NFL combine-type workout involving clicking stopwatches, giving fist-bumps, and jogging to second to grab the hitter's elbow guard.

I want this to be true. Badly.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

First base coach training

http://www.leetergesen.com/images/ww2_roadietraining2.jpg

So don't we still need to name someone to replace Guerrero as a roving coach for next season?

I hope not. He was added to the staff in a kind of nebulous coaching position, at least in terms of a "published" title. They still have "eye in the sky" coach John Shelby plus 6 regular coaches and a manager. Enough is enough.

So don't we still need to name someone to replace Guerrero as a roving coach for next season?

I hope not. He was added to the staff in a kind of nebulous coaching position, at least in terms of a "published" title. They still have "eye in the sky" coach John Shelby plus 6 regular coaches and a manager. Enough is enough.

If anything this team needs more coaches, like 25, so each player is accountable to someone for their atrocious fundamentals.

Guerrero at 46 (soon to be 47) will be by a considerable amount, the youngest coach on the staff. I think part of the problem with the staff last year was that they were all essentially around Roenicke's age (close to 60). They got rid of 60 year old Garth Iorg and soon to be 64 year old Johnny Narron and replaced them with Guerrero and 52 year old Darnell Coles. They needed guys who could in theory relate a little better to today's players.

Guerrero at 46 (soon to be 47) will be by a considerable amount, the youngest coach on the staff. I think part of the problem with the staff last year was that they were all essentially around Roenicke's age (close to 60). They got rid of 60 year old Garth Iorg and soon to be 64 year old Johnny Narron and replaced them with Guerrero and 52 year old Darnell Coles. They needed guys who could in theory relate a little better to today's players.

In the sense that the players would be the same age as the coaches' children instead of their grandchildren, yes.

I think there is something to having a few coaches who are recently out of the game and no one on the current even comes close to qualifying for that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Adding Guerrero means we have a Hispanic coach on the team. With the growing number of Latin players in baseball, it seems prudent to have a coach that speaks Spanish (I don't know if any of the other coaches does) and can relate/communicate with the players.

The Brewers had 7-8 players on the roster most of the year last season who's first language is Spanish.

Adding Guerrero means we have a Hispanic coach on the team. With the growing number of Latin players in baseball, it seems prudent to have a coach that speaks Spanish (I don't know if any of the other coaches does) and can relate/communicate with the players.

The Brewers had 7-8 players on the roster most of the year last season who's first language is Spanish.

They're not adding Guerrero. He was already a coach in the dugout last year (and presumably added then in part for his native tongue and the reasons you noted).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

They're not adding Guerrero. He was already a coach in the dugout last year (and presumably added then in part for his native tongue and the reasons you noted).

Gotcha. Thanks. I was thinking he was at AAA last season - didn't read things closely enough.

Archived